Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thinking Of Getting A T-sport

Will Webb

Hi all,

This is my first post, so go easy on me! :)

I'm looking to get a Yaris T-Sport in the very near future, and wondered if there was anything in particular I should look out for?

I've done some research and searching on them, but they (or at least the 1.5 engine) seems to have very little useful information available!

I'm looking at an '02 plate with 70k on the clock which comes in at about £3k

Any help/guidance you could give would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Will

Well where to start...

The front anti-roll bar bushes split easily. Not a problem (apparently) unless its causing knocking so listen for that when going over bumps. Get on your hands and knees and have a look under the front bumper!

Drive round in circles on full lock with the windows down listening for clicking (best described by Blue as marbles clicking together). If so, driveshafts are on their way out and expect a big bill.

Some owners have had water pump problems so inspect round there for pink crystals of coolant spatter.

Inspect alloy wheels carefully for rust bubbles - either round the spokes or round the centre caps.

Expect random squeaks and rattles - its just the way they are.

And all the usual things on any car - i.e. the aircon engages ok, all electrics work, check all sets of keys (remote) are present and correct, clutch isn't slipping etc...

Ever considered a Suzuki Ignis Sport? You'd get a much newer model for your money. And probably laughed at by everyone but they're very similar performance wise!

Thanks for the reply!

No I had not considered a Ignis... Although I am not too keen on them (they are too 'boxy' for my liking!)

As for performance, I know I'm not going to get much considering I'm used to the 200bhp+ marker! :)

I've just discovered that the one I had my eye on has sold... So I guess I'm going to have to keep looking!

Thanks for your help,

Will

Ever considered a Suzuki Ignis Sport? You'd get a much newer model for your money. And probably laughed at by everyone but they're very similar performance wise!

Do you have any experience of these? I love my TS, but I might need to change it soon for something with a bit more boot space.

As for performance, I know I'm not going to get much considering I'm used to the 200bhp+ marker! :)

My hubby used to have a 400bhp+ Skyline, and he said the Yaris was much more fun to drive at times. :)

Do you have any experience of these? I love my TS, but I might need to change it soon for something with a bit more boot space.

Well I test drove one and had a look round a couple more before eventually deciding on the Yaris t-sport. But the Ignis was pretty capable and a bargain price considering the spec is very similar. Most reviews of the Iggy are very positive - enthusiasts like its lack of computer aided interference - in other words its a simple little warm hatch like they used to be before electrical componentry took over. They're a strange looking car but I like that - sadly nobody else agreed with me! There was a driveshaft recall which is worth checking was done if you're serious about buying one. The folks at www.sisoc.co.uk will be able to give you some friendly advice.

Sounds cool, if you decide to sell in the near future let me know, I would certainly be interested!!!

There was a driveshaft recall which is worth checking was done if you're serious about buying one. The folks at www.sisoc.co.uk will be able to give you some friendly advice.

Do you think Toyota would honour the recall even if a car was out of warranty?

Why is it the things you want have to be such a pain in the ***** to get! :rolleyes:

Hey man, if you can get that T Sport at £3K buy it, if not let me know where it is and I will as I want a second one for my wife as she is liking mine so much it is causing disputes! It's a fantastic little car and I got mine after down grading from a Civic Type R and a Clio Sport, both great cars but the Yaris is a riot to drive and always leaves me with a smile on my face. I'm sure the Ignis is a good car too but I haven't driven it, I'm sure a Yaris at that price would be a bargain and you'd not be disapointed at all. Let me know if you don't want it and who is selling cos I'd buy it in an instant as long as it's straight!

All the best.

Yumma

Have you considered a Corolla T Sport?

You can pick up a Pre-Facelift for not much more than £3k now and it'a a lot nearer to the 200bhp mark than the Yaris :thumbsup:

You can pick up a Pre-Facelift for not much more than £3k now and it'a a lot nearer to the 200bhp mark than the Yaris :thumbsup:

Yeah one of the guys at work has one, but it returns really bad MPG and I'm after something that will easily return 30+ round town...

Plus they're going to be very expensive on TAX soon! :angry:

a friend of mine has recently got himself a ignis, as said its simular to the yaris,

however the interior and build quality is not half as good as the yaris.

but it was cheap ;)

good luck finding a tsport :thumbsup:

keep an eye on pistonheads as thats where i sold mine, its a good place to look :yes:

keep an eye on pistonheads as thats where i sold mine, its a good place to look :yes:

I've found one (was more than I was originally planning on spending though), all I need to do is try to sell my Prelude QUICK! :rolleyes:

I too am new to Toyotas, and am looking for a 1.5 yaris. Your info was very helpfull. As I too can only afford around £3000 it will have to be a high miler - do you know what they are like at high mileages? Do engines get smokey, burn oil? and when is the cambelt due for change and does it cost a lot?

Any info you have would be great!

thanks

Rich

I'm looking at a '51 plate with 80k-ish on the clock...

I have no idea how they do with high mileage (although 80k is not high for a jap motor), and they don't need a cambelt change as they use a chain.

great - thanks Will.

That's good they are chain driven, just assumed they were belts!

I guess you are right about jap cars being good for a few miles. Only concern i have is because of relatively small engine, which often dont bear the miles as well.

Some of the cars on autotrader have done 120k miles - and they want close to £3k. Seems a lot to me?

Rich

great - thanks Will.

I guess you are right about jap cars being good for a few miles. Only concern i have is because of relatively small engine, which often dont bear the miles as well.

Some of the cars on autotrader have done 120k miles - and they want close to £3k. Seems a lot to me?

Rich

1.5's aren't that small... My first Honda CRX was a 1.6 and had 168k on the clock when I sold it, and it was pulling just as strong as a car with half the mileage :D

Yaris T-Sport's appear to hold their values really well... Providing it's got full or near full service history then you'll be fine!!

great - thanks Will.

Rich

1.5's aren't that small... My first Honda CRX was a 1.6 and had 168k on the clock when I sold it, and it was pulling just as strong as a car with half the mileage :D

Yaris T-Sport's appear to hold their values really well... Providing it's got full or near full service history then you'll be fine!!

I'll second that!

I've got the 1.5 T-sport and had very similar doubts, I wanted something that would last me ages, hold its value and also hold a lot of juice! I got to Cornwall and back in the summer from Lincolnshire and only had to fill up towards the end of each stretch, that was a round trip of around 800 miles and that engine got me very far. Driving round town, i only have to fill up probably once evry 3-4 weeks and that using the car everyday. Its pretty economic as well as being !Removed! enjoyable! I wouldnt think twice about recommending it to anyone considering buying one.

I probably paid a bit too much for mine, a 51 plate at £4999 and that had 44k on the clock but needed a new car sharpish, it was at my local garage and ive had it about a yr now - wouldnt swop it for anything, absolutely love it and have had no problems at all.

Yeah one of the guys at work has one, but it returns really bad MPG and I'm after something that will easily return 30+ round town...

Plus they're going to be very expensive on TAX soon! :angry:

I'm currently getting an average of 30mpg out of my CTS, it's just hard not hitting Lift! :lol:

Know what you mean about the tax tho £260 next year :(

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links