Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Oil?

Mord

Toyota sold me brand new Aygo filled with 10W-40 semi synthetic oil. I'm not very happy about it. The manual says that oil grades I can use are: 20W-50, 15W-40, 10W-30 and 5W-30. It doesn't mention 10W-40. I'm thinking about changing my oil to 5W-30 fully synthetic. I believe I can achieve even better fuel economy with fully synthetic oil.

Anyone uses other than Toyota 10W-40 standard oil?

Toyota sold me brand new Aygo filled with 10W-40 semi synthetic oil. I'm not very happy about it. The manual says that oil grades I can use are: 20W-50, 15W-40, 10W-30 and 5W-30. It doesn't mention 10W-40. I'm thinking about changing my oil to 5W-30 fully synthetic. I believe I can achieve even better fuel economy with fully synthetic oil.

Anyone uses other than Toyota 10W-40 standard oil?

Hi There.

From new for the UK market, according to everything I've read, the AYGO comes with:-

0W-30 oil.

In the owners manual, the thicker grades are only suggested for

warmer climates. I'm sticking with 0W-30.

Modern oils are very clever so most will do a great job but as you say,

thinner is better for fuel economy especially when weather is cold.

False economy buying cheap rubbish though.

Ian.

Doing my oil and filter change soon, will be getting 5w-30 fully synth

Considering the cost cutting Toyota show on the Aygo (one string holding the back parcel shelf up rather than 2 for instance) the oil they put in is probably equally cheap.

I did 600 miles on it and when it was removed it was a dark brown colour. I put in Mobil 1 0W-40 and that is a lot lighter after 6000 miles.

You want the thinnest synthetic oil possible with the Aygo to avoid drag and Mobil 1 is one of the best oils in the world.

Don't scrimp!

Regards

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

0w, 5w,10w, 15w, 20w, is for winter. W, that means, WINTER.

But 20, 30, 40, 50, is the oil working tempareture. If you are located in cold climate, its wise to use an 5w/40 or 0w/40 oil. 10w/40 is also excellent . 5w/30 is recommended from Toyota, for economy reasons, the engine revs faster, it's warming up faster at a cold morning start, BUT you'll have MOOOOOOre vibrations and in hot climate or full load it will not protect your engine as good as an 40 oil.

It's a compromise between economy, protection of your engine after warranty expire, and climate.

I live in Greece and I've used 5w/30 Toyota fuel economy , 10w/40 Mobil S Semi-synth, and now and for ever I'll use 0w/40 Mobil 1 fully synth , at my Aygo MMT.

Originally I was going to go for 5w/30 but reading the above in kav's post has made me reconsider

So I gather 0w/40 or 0w/30 fully synth is the way to go?

Originally I was going to go for 5w/30 but reading the above in kav's post has made me reconsider

So I gather 0w/40 or 0w/30 fully synth is the way to go?

Note that in some vehicles, using thinner oil than the one the manufacturer suggested can cause the oil seals to leak. The Aygo's engine is still quite new, so it's up to you if you think it's an acceptable risk

5/30 oil is perfectly acceptable, as is 10/40 both SEMI synthetic

Using fully synthetic oil is not a requirment, and you will save yourself a few quid too! Go for quality BRANDED oils, there are many types available, and there is bound to be somebody who has a "special offer"

Kingo :thumbsup:

I picked up an oil filter and 5 litres of oil from my local toyota dealer today for the 30,000m oil change. I was pleasantly surprised at the price of £23.28 for the lot. It is 5w30 semi synthetic, the same as what is used in all the cars they service there.

• 4 months later...
I picked up an oil filter and 5 litres of oil from my local toyota dealer today for the 30,000m oil change. I was pleasantly

Everything we've been told by our Toyota dealer here has been 5w30 fully synthetic.

How could there be a difference in recommendations from Toyota dealers?

Price per litre in Belgium is horrible - 13€/litre TVC.

I picked up an oil filter and 5 litres of oil from my local toyota dealer today for the 30,000m oil change. I was pleasantly

Everything we've been told by our Toyota dealer here has been 5w30 fully synthetic.

How could there be a difference in recommendations from Toyota dealers?

Price per litre in Belgium is horrible - 13€/litre TVC.

Note: the 2009 Aygo runs perfectly well on 0w20 fully synthetic oil and this is the new standard oil. If Mr T uses anything else, it is because that's the neares viscosity they had available on the shelf

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump up an old post. Where are people getting the 0W-20 oil from? A search on Halfords only brings up 0W-30 and 0W-40. Castrol's site also only brings up 0W-30. Thank you.

Sorry to bump up an old post. Where are people getting the 0W-20 oil from? A search on Halfords only brings up 0W-30 and 0W-40. Castrol's site also only brings up 0W-30. Thank you.

Try Opie Oils.

I was going to go with the 0w20 but couldn't be fussed with the hassle. I got some Mobil 1 5w30 from halfrauds and since the change i've noticed no decrease in fuel consumption and the engine is quieter and sings more sweetly at high revs (bizarre eh!).

I too would use a quality 5W30 fully synthetic oil in my Aygo (conforming to VW507.00 spec.) as this is more readily available.

• 2 months later...

From my experience, using 0W or even 5W oil, you will end up topping the sump up fairly regularly. Using 10W no problem.

General note - I can't believe how easy the car is to work on.. :thumbsup:

From my experience, using 0W or even 5W oil, you will end up topping the sump up fairly regularly. Using 10W no problem.

General note - I can't believe how easy the car is to work on.. :thumbsup:

I've done 18 000 miles on 0W and not had to top up at all. The recommended from Toyota is 5W and nobody on here has ever complained on having to top it up like you indicate. I also think that swapping from 5W to 10W would not cure this problem you report. You've only done about 30 000 miles in the 2.5 years you have had it so it makes me wonder if you are talking from experience of using 0W and 5W along with 10W in your Aygo or just are quoting from hearsay?

Regards

Andy

I've done over 1000 miles on new 5W-30 oil and I must say that fuel economy improved.. I'm getting roughly 3-5mpg more when driving exaclty the same way as always :thumbsup:

There is no need to top up after 1k miles.

• 6 years later...

I have just changed my oil and used 5w-30 fully synthetic

I know some here say toyota put in semi-synthetic, i also know people say this engine is pretty noisy/tappy especially at start up and because it is a 3 cylinder

Well having now change the oil myself for fully synthetic i am surprised how quite it now has gone

I will definitely be using 5w-30 fully synthetic, which it suggests in the handbook from now on

My car has done around 92,000 Miles

10 minutes ago, tonyuk123 said:

I will definitely be using 5w-30 fully synthetic, which it suggests in the handbook from now on

My car has done around 92,000 Miles

Depending on the age of the car, Toyota's preferred oil is 0W-20.

• Like 1

I used to have a RAV4 petrol which I bought new in 2003 and sold in 2014. Always used Mobil 1 5W30 fully synthetic. The car never required any oil top ups between servicing and the oil was always a golden colour.

Now I have 2 Aygos 59 plate and a 56 plate and both get the same oil. Both used in heavy city traffic and hardly ever require any top ups.

Don't get me started about Toyota Dealers and oil :angry:

funnily enough when ours was brand new, and we bought Totota GB Service Pack, our local dealer advised they routinely use 10W/40 semi-synth. We refused and I always supplied Castrol Edge from Costco each year. More recently when I asked for a sevice quote they tell me they only recommend fully synth. 5W30 oil for the Aygo.

Yes of course they do...especially as I'm now paying as opposed to Service Pack.