Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 2003 Model

Tahir Chaudhry

My Toyota Avensis 1.8 2003 model gives knocking sound (as if some thing has got a play) when driving off road as well as on speed breakers. Suspension was checked & is Ok. Could some one give an idea what is causing the sound & any possible remedy please?

• 1 month later...

Same problem myself. I have 125k miles on a 1999 1.6L on mine and it could possibly have been present for long before that. It sounds like play but doesn't feel like play, would that be a similar description to yours? I'm still tryin to trace that problem myself too. Actually, now that i think about it, i think i know exactly what it is. I'd bet any money its exactly the same as my Avenger, try checking the second universal joint in the steering, its located behind and below the inlet manifold, i think there is a small bit of wear in mine. It sometimes gets stiff after a wet spell on the roads when water splashes up on it from the wheels and it dries out and the steering discombobulator device gets harder to turn than usual. Not sure what causes it or how big a job it is to fix but it (touch wood) hasn't caused me any bother yet. Let me know if you find anything with this because i wouldn't mind gettin mine sorted either.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links