Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alloy Wheel Options

nattyboy

Hi all

I am thinking of getting some 18" wheels for a black 4.2 and wondered if anyone else had experience of fitting 18"..? If so;

- What tyre profile is best

- Any feedback on how the car runs with them ?

- Any tips on where to go ?

Would love to see some pictures of any aftermarket wheels fitted to 4.2's for some insparation !

Heres some I was looking at on fleabay whch I think would look nice on a black car..?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-ALLOY-WHEELS-TOYO...id=p3286.c0.m14

cheers

nat

Hi all

I am thinking of getting some 18" wheels for a black 4.2 and wondered if anyone else had experience of fitting 18"..? If so;

- What tyre profile is best

- Any feedback on how the car runs with them ?

- Any tips on where to go ?

Would love to see some pictures of any aftermarket wheels fitted to 4.2's for some insparation !

Heres some I was looking at on fleabay whch I think would look nice on a black car..?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/18-ALLOY-WHEELS-TOYO...id=p3286.c0.m14

cheers

nat

I have 3 sets of 18" wheels

1 set of MAK Mirrors which are black and silver and came I think from a Lexus.

1 set of DARE Drift Diesel 7 spoke - nice and lightweight and look good

1 set of DARE Drift Diesel 6 spoke - lighter and wearing 225/40x18s I think - but the tyres look a bit thin to be honest. I use it for drag starts so thats why I have them. the wheels look good. Dunno what colour they come in apart from the blue ish I have.

If you are going down this avenue, then consider the weight of the wheel - lighter ones will help the mpg and acceleration a bit but keep in mind the diameter. My set results in the speedo being 10% exaggerated. As you go down in aspect ratio then the ride become firmer (teaching you to suck eggs here) - I have stiffened suspension and the adjustable Konis set at hard so the ride quality is extremely hard but it doesn't muck about going round corners.....can take corners at twice+ the usual speed. Roundabouts a speciality :lol:

Then you have the new tyre choice....I have the Fawlcon and find it pretty good for keeping on the road in wet or dry. Its not an off road tyre, which is why I keep the other 2 sets.

If you do a search, I posted up photos of the RAV with the different wheels on just recently I think.

Off now to plunge thru some puddles - least the water helps keep the brakes cool!

Greetings, Nattyboy

This is a good website for working out the rolling diameter of different tyre/weheel combinations. The tyres that goes with the wheels you've identified on eBay are pretty "thin" and will result in the speedo over-reading by 10%. It can over-read but not under-read in law ie it has to be optimistic about your speedo reading. They are smart wheels but the ride would be, well, somewhat "unforgiving". I had a Golf GTi with 18 inch wheels with a lick of rubber round them, they looked amazing but you felt every bump in the road (Princess and the pee pea syndrome) Many,many years ago (1983) I bought a Ford RS1600i "out of the brochure" without a test ride and I'd swear my back's still suffering, so please go into this with your eyes open and your physio on high alert. 'Struth it went round corners on rails, tho!

Seriously, the website is a good guide, I'd suggest you choose a tyre with a ratio that approximates your current overall rolling distance. I am assuming you're on 215/70 R16's in all of this, by the way

Good Luck

I remember the RS1600i - not from personal experience, but the brochure and always fancied one of them. very nice car for the time (I thought!).

I reckon you have to be very careful going significantly from the standard spec as it could be an expensive mistake if you don't like :eek:

I remember the RS1600i - not from personal experience, but the brochure and always fancied one of them. very nice car for the time (I thought!).

I reckon you have to be very careful going significantly from the standard spec as it could be an expensive mistake if you don't like :eek:

!!!!

I have a set of 18" wheels with Pirelli Scorpion tyres that are only 1 month old.....the wheels have some scuffs but are good. see the photo on e-bay...item number 260296393662.......i'm asking £499.....and that's less than the cost of the tyres !!!!!!