Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis D4d Whistling Noise When Well Accelerate On 3rd Or 4th Gear 18

rozkminiacz

I have 2004 D4D Avensis. I have noticed screeching, whistling sound coming from the engine when I well accelerate - only on 3rd or 4th gear starting from 1800 and stopping on 2000 rpm. It cannot be heard when you accelerate gently. It comes from the engine bay. I have tried revving the engine when the car is at a standstill but I cannot hear the sound. It seems to doesn't affect the performance I reckon.

Is it faulty diesel injector or belt etc ???? Anyone can help ?

I have 2004 D4D Avensis. I have noticed screeching, whistling sound coming from the engine when I well accelerate - only on 3rd or 4th gear starting from 1800 and stopping on 2000 rpm. It cannot be heard when you accelerate gently. It comes from the engine bay. I have tried revving the engine when the car is at a standstill but I cannot hear the sound. It seems to doesn't affect the performance I reckon.

From the 1800-2000 rpm My first thought would be that its is the turbo spooling up as it does that at about the rpm. Could be a gear boax fault too if its only the 3/4 gears does it make the same noice on deccelration? As a foirst point of call I would check all air pipes are connected properly and leak free.

• 4 weeks later...

From the 1800-2000 rpm My first thought would be that its is the turbo spooling up as it does that at about the rpm. Could be a gear boax fault too if its only the 3/4 gears does it make the same noice on deccelration? As a foirst point of call I would check all air pipes are connected properly and leak free.

It`s most likely to be the air conditioning pump slipping clutch. To prove it is thje slipping clutch just turn on your air conditioning and see if the noise goes away.

Had my pump replaced under warranty ( £800 ) to replace pump.

• 4 weeks later...

Turbo. Only comes on under load?... When it's speeding up after kicking in it whistles. Generally arrives later on in the life of a turbo diesel, anywhere after the 40 - 50k miles mark usually.

• 1 month later...

No the turbo whistle doesnt stop at 2000rpm it carrys on whistling until you release the accelortor and thats when the wastegate opens. I think this is something else.

No the turbo whistle doesnt stop at 2000rpm it carrys on whistling until you release the accelortor and thats when the wastegate opens. I think this is something else.

Possible a split in one of the induction hoses after the turbo, squeals as the air escapes through the leak, like blowing through a grass blade between the thumbs when you were a kid. (if you did that) Could be a very small split/pinhole and may take some spotting. Alternatively it could just be loose on one of the hose clamps.

• 6 years later...

I had a same problem on my 2014 Avensis and my suspicions were correct. It was an alternator (or wnat ecer else it drives nowdays) belt that was slipping slightly and making a " chirpy " kind of noise between 1500 and 2000 revs as you described but in all gears not just 3rd and 4th. According to the mechanis at my dealer it has been an issue with some late Avensis D4D models. I had the belt replaced (today actually) and that eliminated the noise completely. Toyota dealer replaced it free of charge. Hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links