Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Plastic Key Case

zen20

Hi all,

my plastic key casing is broken and my key has fallen out. been to toyota to find a solution but they told me to replace the whole key which will cost around 180 quid. is there ways to just get a new plastic case and put the old key and remote in? if so, will that be difficult?

thanks

• 4 months later...

I have done exactly this with a '06 RAV4. The new RAV4 key casings are not great quality.

I bought one on eBay for £7.50 (from lunaziartswork - Hong Kong). The company shows a large photo and specifies the exact key length/width etc. so you should be sure you're getting the correct one. It arrived in about a week - looks genuine Toyoya - and actually better quality than the original.

Obvious advice - if possible take an unused original with you when you get this new key cut (rather than get a copy of a worn key).

Putting the door infra-red control into the new key is no problem (as long as you bought the right key!). However getting the transponder chip in is more tricky. It was well-glued in to my original (once you've opened the key look at the area where the yellow line is in the attached photo). I managed to carefully chop it out with a small chisel (peeling off some of the glued-on plastic key casing).

The transponder itself was encased in a small piece of plastic, which I inserted into the new key.

Toyota quoted me £180. It cost me £7.50 for the key, £4 to get it cut, and 10 minutes to get the transponder out.

post-73326-1234560358_thumb.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links