Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reflection From Dash?

AygoWild

Does anyone else find the amount of reflection from the plastic dash back on to the windscreen annoying? Has anyone found a solution? I have tried dash wipes which are supposed to have a matting effect. (And it was like this before the wipes, i just got desperate....)

Would love to have the whole dash removed and covered in flocking like in some rally cars... or tinting the windows a little more... I know its extreme but would solve the problem!!!

Any idea's??

I got some great sunglasses from Next I think, that arn't that dark, but get rid of the glare. When these are worn, I can barely see any reflections, so that could be the way to go.

Plus you look cool.... B)

Ian

or go out at night :lol:

Tinting will make it WORSE, as darker glass reflects even better...

As mentioned in another thread on the same subject, some of us found the only remedy was let a thin layer of dust build up. This is fine if you are not a fanatic about keeping the inside spotless. Keep the seats, carpet etc clean on mine but don't worry about the dash. other reason being the reflections don't help if you wear glasses as well.

the reflections don't help if you wear glasses as well.

You could try spolarized sunglasses, but in the modern world those are a pain in the behind in the daily routine: too much

devices with TFT/LCD screens, which also work based on ploarization and generally cause weird psychedelic rainbow effects...

In a car a ploarized pair of sunglasses can be a real blessing though, not only for dash-glare...

Does anyone else find the amount of reflection from the plastic dash back on to the windscreen annoying? Has anyone found a solution? I have tried dash wipes which are supposed to have a matting effect. (And it was like this before the wipes, i just got desperate....)

Would love to have the whole dash removed and covered in flocking like in some rally cars... or tinting the windows a little more... I know its extreme but would solve the problem!!!

Any idea's??

the best solution is POLARISED sun glasses. It filters out the reflection without resorting to dark glasses. I have tried everything and this the most effective by far!!!

polarised glasses are 18% LTF i believe, which is the darkest tint you can legally wear whilst driving in the UK. The polaroid lens works by accepting light from one angle, rather than many, hence why so many people who go fishing wear them, helps them with the glare off the waters surface :)

• 7 months later...
Does anyone else find the amount of reflection from the plastic dash back on to the windscreen annoying? Has anyone found a solution?...

Any idea's??

the best solution is POLARISED sun glasses. It filters out the reflection without resorting to dark glasses. I have tried everything and this the most effective by far!!!

Sorry, the photos aren't a good a resolution as I'd like, but here's what I mean. No dashboard treatment or windscreen tinting necessary:

View on a sunny day. Lots of reflection and feels like trying to look though a net curtain. The number plate from the dark car in front can't be read at all

2ujma29.jpg

Regular sunglasses (non polarised), cuts down the glare, but does nothing to remove the net curtain reflection from the glass or the reflection from the dash. (The picture was actually taken through my polarised glasses postioned at the wrong angle, which is why the sky looks darker.)

w1ouo.jpg

Polarised sunglasses totally cancel out the net curtain reflection and the number plate and give way sign are much clearer. Also, notice how much glare is reduced from the dashboard itself. Unfortunately these glasses don't make the traffic disappear. The photos are time and date stamped to show that they were taken at the same time of day

2lvcww1.jpg

This link explains how it works

http://science.howstuffworks.com/sunglass5.htm

I think this is a FAQ. If you want it pinned, please ask on this thread. Cheers :)

I use polarized sunglasses for exactly this reason.

Very, very good for the dashboard reflections but when wearing them,

It looks like I have a big black flaw in the audio LCD screen.

I can live with that though for the benefits when driving on a sunny day.

Ian.

Not the best solution, but on sunny days i used to lay a black cloth across the dash of my punto which absorbed the light instead of reflecting. Works really well but looks a bit cheap!

Maybe there is some sort of solution you can put on it to dull out the shine a bit?

Not the best solution, but on sunny days i used to lay a black cloth across the dash of my punto which absorbed the light instead of reflecting. Works really well but looks a bit cheap!

Maybe there is some sort of solution you can put on it to dull out the shine a bit?

The matt dashboard wipes don't work- have tried them :angry:

Ive been quoted £105 to have my dashboard flocked for that wrc / racecar look

Just waiting for the local scrappy to get a 107 or C1 in.

Cant do the passenger airbag though.

Had a massive glare problem yesterday morning driving into the sun Had sun visor down and glasses on.

The reflection from the dash didnt help either, might try the black cloth thing!

The matt dashboard wipes don't work- have tried them :angry:

I use matt wipes and matt dash polish and it really cuts down the glare for me :)

Put TONS on, though- really layer it on and don't use a cloth or anything to buff it off. Smells nice too.

Trust polarised shades are the way forward. I got mine from Tesco for a tenner B)

Trust polarised shades are the way forward. I got mine from Tesco for a tenner B)

Might work for you but I'm not paying another £300 to have a pair of perscription sunglasses made up. :(

Don't you just LOVE having to wear glasses? Such an annoying expense!!

Cannot endorse this suggestion enough. Excellent advice and some great pictures :)

Might work for you but I'm not paying another £300 to have a pair of perscription sunglasses made up. :(

I know what you are saying. But for some people glasses are an absolute, necessity (like me). So I will see this as an investment in safety, comfort and functionality.

I drive a fair bit, both for work and family, so it was essential to have a pair of decent sunglasses. I went down the Oakley route because they are one of the few manufacturers who will produce prescription lenses for you [to go with their frames]. I bought mine when out in the US and meant that I paid for everything in USD and saved £££. Best pair of [polarised] sunglasses I ever bought!

I know what you are saying. But for some people glasses are an absolute, necessity (like me). So I will see this as an investment in safety, comfort and functionality.

I drive a fair bit, both for work and family, so it was essential to have a pair of decent sunglasses. I went down the Oakley route because they are one of the few manufacturers who will produce prescription lenses for you [to go with their frames]. I bought mine when out in the US and meant that I paid for everything in USD and saved £££. Best pair of [polarised] sunglasses I ever bought!

I don't need to wear glasses, but I have to agree with this post. I have been using Oakley sunglasses for around 20 years now and haven't found anything that comes close to matching the quality of them.

Polarised glasses and a perscription windscreen?

I think most modern cars suffer from this. As above I use the matt interior wipes (Armourall ones) and a decent pair of polarised shades.

Annoyingly I can't read my nav/computer/stereo/iPod screen with them on unless I c o c k (Damn swearr filter) my head to one side. (although the Alpine screen in my Hilux was legible with the same glasses)