Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Semi Automatic Anyone?

droopinlily

Has anyone got the semi automatic version?

I ask because this is what I am having (needs must and so on..).

I'm not at all sure how they work, so if anyone can fill me in without being too techy, I'd be grateful.

Thanks ;)

Hi there.

OK, no technical stuff......Sort of.

The MMT is a computer controlled version of the "normal" five speed gearbox.

It has a clutch that you don't have to use yourself.

Unlike a conventional Auto gearbox, it doesn't waste power through a liquid clutch or torque converter.

To go forwards, Foot on brake, put lever into "E" (easy).

handbrake off, car starts going forwards. Accelerate and as the AYGO goes faster, it changes gear for you.

Slow down and it changes back down again until you stop.

It's clever and does hill starts etc. You still have to use the handbrake on steep hills like a conventional gearbox.

Just drive it like a manual with no clutch to bother about.

If you want to though, the lever can be moved to the + / - gate and you can select which gear you want.

Reverse is similar, Foot on brake, lever into reverse, a little throttle and the AYGO goes backwards.

It is made of clever and skill.

(Put in gear. Set off from Sheffield. Arrive in Glasgow. Back into Neutral. Turn off. No problems).

Ian.

Hi there.

OK, no technical stuff......Sort of.

The MMT is a computer controlled version of the "normal" five speed gearbox.

It has a clutch that you don't have to use yourself.

Unlike a conventional Auto gearbox, it doesn't waste power through a liquid clutch or torque converter.

To go forwards, Foot on brake, put lever into "E" (easy).

handbrake off, car starts going forwards. Accelerate and as the AYGO goes faster, it changes gear for you.

Slow down and it changes back down again until you stop.

It's clever and does hill starts etc. You still have to use the handbrake on steep hills like a conventional gearbox.

Just drive it like a manual with no clutch to bother about.

If you want to though, the lever can be moved to the + / - gate and you can select which gear you want.

Reverse is similar, Foot on brake, lever into reverse, a little throttle and the AYGO goes backwards.

It is made of clever and skill.

(Put in gear. Set off from Sheffield. Arrive in Glasgow. Back into Neutral. Turn off. No problems).

Ian.

Second comments above, I use the M mode thou on mine. Just flick the lever up/down and it will change to the next gear.

The other usefull thing is it shows you what gear you are in on the dash - next to the fuel gauge.

Hi there.

I haven't known mine to do hillstarts. It seems to roll on most sloping gradients so I wouldn't assume it will always stay put on a hill. I had a nasty shock relying on it but all the previous cars I drove were automatics that didn't seem to ever roll!

Hi there.

I haven't known mine to do hillstarts. It seems to roll on most sloping gradients so I wouldn't assume it will always stay put on a hill. I had a nasty shock relying on it but all the previous cars I drove were automatics that didn't seem to ever roll!

Ooops.

Perhaps I should have been a little clearer.

You need to use the handbrake when on steep hills just like a manual.

The cleverness comes from it using more revs. and slipping the clutch

more. Just like a human driver has to in these situations.

Conventional automatics WILL roll back. The hill has to be REALLY steep though.

My wife has a Civic Auto which only rolls back on hills steeper than (roughly)

1 in 4 (25% for the young'uns). You can hold it in place using higher revs.

The heat generated in the torque converter is incredible. Perhaps 20 horsepower into 4 pints of fluid.

Not good for things!

My previous car, a Smart Fortwo, had HSA (hill start assist) which held the brakes

on for 0.7 of a second giving you time to move your foot from the brake pedal

to the accelerator on hills. giving the impression it wouldn't roll back.

On steep hills or steep junctions, hold the AYGO on the handbrake.

put your foot down as you release the handbrake and off you go.

Ian.

I believe there are several reasons for using this type of gearbox.

Weight: fuel economy is improved to the same level as a manual car.

Power: The gearbox wastes far less energy than a conventional automatic. Fuel economy again.

Cost: common parts with manual geabox = more profit. (Sorry, I meant to say, savings are passed on to customers).

On these sytems don't be tempted to prevent roll back by applying enough gas to get the clutch to bite, but not take off. It's the equivalent of riding a manual clutch and you will wreck the clutch pretty quickly. Handbrake cables and brake shoes are much cheaper.

VAG DSG system has clutch protection - abuse it and it stops working!

Also another thing that is good with the MMT gearbox is you can switch up gears in E mode yourself by releasing the accelerator pedal slightly when theres enough rev's. One thing I really like about it and use alot rather than foot down solid and waiting for too many revs before the car changes itself.

M mode is v usual on the motorways/dual carriageways.

Also remember with auto's you need to put your foot on the foot brake to be able to start it :) something quite a few people forget ive found.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links