Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lc120 Rear Lights

C5unk

Hi

I have a 2006 LC4 and I see that the large cluster of lights at the back only act as brake lights and not as rear lights or indicators, both of which are lower down on the bumper. WHY ?

Can anyone tell me if there is a conversion to use these lovely lights for rear lights and indicators. I think the European model uses them.

I asked my Toyta dealer and he said he didnt know of a conversion ?

It just seems a waste of some better placed lights.

Cheers

C5UNK

Sorry my friend but you are mistaken.... I have a 2007 LC120 Invincible and the light cluster has the rear side lights, brake lights, indicators and reversing lights combined into one. The only lights that are in the bumper are the fog lights. As far as I know all 120 models are the same :huh:

I don't know what model you are thinking of :unsure:

Sorry my friend but you are mistaken.... I have a 2007 LC120 Invincible and the light cluster has the rear side lights, brake lights, indicators and reversing lights combined into one. The only lights that are in the bumper are the fog lights. As far as I know all 120 models are the same :huh:

I don't know what model you are thinking of :unsure:

Hi

I dont think so. My LC4 2006 model is outside on driveway and I can see rear ligts and indicators on rear bumper. The only lights that light up out of the cluster are the brake lights and the light above rear door. The others dont have bulbs in and are both white glass. The first time I saw my wife drive up the road and saw her brake, I thought the rear lights were not working. However I did once follow a 2003 model which had the lights in the light cluster etc. which is why I thought there might be a conversion.

Thanks anyway

well I don't know what the heck you have but here is the rear view of a LC120, a promotion photo obviously!

ToyotaLC120.jpg

My car is the same and as far as I am aware so are all 120 models :huh:

EDIT....

Just to confirm.... I take it that the front end of your car is the same as mine here :unsure:

LandC2.jpg

Hey C5unk - I know EXACTLY what you mean! Land Rovers have a similar thing.

Here's mine, note the lack of artistic talent on MS paint :P

This fellas, is what C5unk means - I can't believe nobody else knows about it. So how do we get the RED highlighted ones to work?

Ratchet.jpg

Hi chaps

I work at a Toyota dealer in UK & have been asked this question before.

LC120 with underslung spare wheel have only fogs in rear bumper & all other lights in the upper main lamps.

LC120 with rear door mounted spare have indicators, brake & fogs in rear bumper all due to a law concerning the RH upper lamp being obscured when the rear door is opened.

Toyota would have had to do a similar thing with RAV how ever they decided to fit a shorter door check strap instead but this limited how far the rear door could be opened ( musch to the annoyance of many customers).

Hope this helps

Devon

Hi chaps

I work at a Toyota dealer in UK & have been asked this question before.

LC120 with underslung spare wheel have only fogs in rear bumper & all other lights in the upper main lamps.

LC120 with rear door mounted spare have indicators, brake & fogs in rear bumper all due to a law concerning the RH upper lamp being obscured when the rear door is opened.

Toyota would have had to do a similar thing with RAV how ever they decided to fit a shorter door check strap instead but this limited how far the rear door could be opened ( musch to the annoyance of many customers).

Hope this helps

Devon

Ahh, I thought it had something to do with some naff Health & Safety law!

OK, so how do we get 'em working along with the others in the bumper?

I will now be looking out for 120 models with bumper lights :unsure: I can honestly say that I have never seen them :huh:

Anyway, surely the light cluster that is fitted to cars such as mine can be fitted to all 120 models. I reckon the wiring looms must be the same.... what do you think? Might be a little expensive but a do-able job all the same :)

Another alternative is to remove the light cluster and drill out the back of the clusters and fit the bulb holders then wire them in. I did this a few years ago on a smaller scale with an old Nissan because the nearside did not have a foglamp but did have the wiring connector. It was a very easy job :yes:

• 5 weeks later...

I have a 2005 LC5 since new with rear carried spare wheel and lights in the bumper with only the reverse and stop lights working in the upper cluster.I wired up the upper clusters so all the lights work It's three years since I did it so bear with me.

First don't look for any spare wires or connectors tucked away there aren't any ! .

If you remove the inner panels on each side in rear of vehicle to expose the harness and then locate and splice into tail and indicator wires for each side then lead wires up to where upper clusters are on each side .Note when I did mine I found when the hazard lights were on they cut out after a few minutes poss due to the extra current drawn from the additional rear bulbs so you may opt to remove the bumper mounted indicator bulbs after work is done or if you have trailer wiring for a tow bar then you could wire the indicators off the trailer harness as the relay for that seems to handle the load ok .Note my LC has original Toyota fitted trailer wiring so it works ok with that.

The light clusters themselves do not have the metal tracks to carry the power up to the tail lights so I made these from thin brass sheet and glued them in place and soldered in the wires.From memory the tail light bulb is already there incorporated into the Stop/Tail bulb including the holder.On the other hand you do need to purchase the indicator bulbs and holders. Also had a bit of a problem finding wiring conectors small enough to fit onto back of cluster can't remember where I got them from.

Anyway hope this helps , was worth the effort looks a lot better.

I have a 2005 LC5 since new with rear carried spare wheel and lights in the bumper with only the reverse and stop lights working in the upper cluster.I wired up the upper clusters so all the lights work It's three years since I did it so bear with me.

First don't look for any spare wires or connectors tucked away there aren't any ! .

If you remove the inner panels on each side in rear of vehicle to expose the harness and then locate and splice into tail and indicator wires for each side then lead wires up to where upper clusters are on each side .Note when I did mine I found when the hazard lights were on they cut out after a few minutes poss due to the extra current drawn from the additional rear bulbs so you may opt to remove the bumper mounted indicator bulbs after work is done or if you have trailer wiring for a tow bar then you could wire the indicators off the trailer harness as the relay for that seems to handle the load ok .Note my LC has original Toyota fitted trailer wiring so it works ok with that.

The light clusters themselves do not have the metal tracks to carry the power up to the tail lights so I made these from thin brass sheet and glued them in place and soldered in the wires.From memory the tail light bulb is already there incorporated into the Stop/Tail bulb including the holder.On the other hand you do need to purchase the indicator bulbs and holders. Also had a bit of a problem finding wiring conectors small enough to fit onto back of cluster can't remember where I got them from.

Anyway hope this helps , was worth the effort looks a lot better.

It is only the 120 series which have opening left to right rear door.

not the up and over.

And only affects the rhd models.

It is because, when a rhd vehicle parks on the side of the road, left side, 'cos rhd, when the back door opens, it hides the off side light.

Typically the spare on the door hides the cluster.

So, the need for lights in the bumper.

Up and over are not affected.

Lhd vehicles are not affected, because they park on the right of the road, and when the rear door opens, the off side light, can still be seen.

Graham

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...

We have two Landcruiser J120 models in our family, one has indicator and tail lights in the bottom bumper section, this vehicle has spare wheel on back door, brake lights are higher up near the reversing lights, we have rewired the rear lights so it now has 4 indicators and 4 tail lights...using the original bumper ones wired to the unused higher up ones.

the other model has the spare underneath and has all the rear lights in the rear pillars only, none in the bumper section.

regards

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Its all about the spare wheel. If the spare is mounted on the rear door - the indicators are in the bumper. If the spare wheel is inside, the indicators are up in the higher cluster. The thinking being that the spare wheel outside might obscure the view of the indicators - so they are located in the bumper. As far as I am aware there is no conversion kit available.

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I've just picked up a 2004 120 landcruiser, it's a RHD with the spare wheel mounted on the rear door.

The cluster of lights house the reverse light and brake lights 

The indicators are on the bottom bumper and rear fog lights sit just above it. My question is, is there any taillights for night time driving? If so do they come on automatically when turning on the front headlights and if not how do you turn them on? Otherwise anyone driving behind me won't see me unless I brake 

Many thanks 

All the cars we've had, have had the tail lights turn on when the headlights are turned on.

Presumably an easy check would be to turn the headlights on whilst the car is parked, then go round to the rear to see which rear lights are on.

43 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

All the cars we've had, have had the tail lights turn on when the headlights are turned on.

Presumably an easy check would be to turn the headlights on whilst the car is parked, then go round to the rear to see which rear lights are on.

Many thanks for the reply 

I'm thinking the bulbs may need replaced, are the taillights located next to the indicators at the bumper then? 

• 4 months later...

Hello all, I have a 2006 LC3 J120 Land cruiser with a similar problem. The passenger side rear indicator has a mind of it's own when it wants to work of late. The indicator is in the bumper even though the spare wheel is under the Jeep. The bulb is fine. I've had the corrosion cleaned up  and joints soldered. This worked for a couple of weeks.  Should I just renew the harness in the bumper altogether.  Even though my spare is under the car the upper rear cluster has no indicator.  Any ideas please. Regards Pat. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links