Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Experience With Both Camry And Yaris/echo? Please Help.

potential buyer

Hello: I hope this isn't bad form, but I already posted in the Yaris forum. I'd also really like to hear from anyone who has owned both the Camry and the Yaris though, hence the reference here in the Camry forum.

I own a 1992 Camry V6 LE with very low mileage of about 125,000 km. My car was totalled on the weekend and I will receive a small cash settlement from the insurance company, because the book price of the car is very low all these 16.75 years later. I will never be able to replace the car with the money I receive. So there's the background.

I'm looking at the possibility of a used Yaris or Echo, and will have to act quickly I fear. I am in different financial circumstances now, and a Camry is not affordable. Could you read my post in Yaris, and let me know what you think if you can answer any of my questions. I guess I'm wondering if I should go for an older Camry that might cost about the same as a newer Echo/Yaris.

I am tall, and I have chronic back & neck pain from some old injuries, so I would like a comfortable car with good seating.

The other post is called:

"Please help: Camry Owner (1992 V6 LE). Looking at Echo/Yaris."

Thank you very much if you can help

I hate to say it cause it's rare that I say anything bad about any toyotas, but highly recommend you reconsider getting a Yaris. I drove my friend's Yaris one time, and I felt like I was gonna have to get out and push it. Acceleration was horrible and it was totally uncomfortable. Don't take my word for it though, you should go test drive it yourself. I would recommend a few year old Camry or Corolla over a new Yaris/Echo any day.

You'd get more replies if you posted on the American forums rather than the UK forums as there are more Camry owners there. I'm one of probably 3000 people in the UK who own a Camry as there very rare over here and therefore probably 1 of less than 1000 who have experience of both the Yaris and Camry, both of which are slightly different to the versions you can get. As for the Yaris or it's saloon variant the Echo which we can't get either I believe the majority of them were 1.3 and 1.5 whereas over here they are most commonly 1.0 petrol or 1.4 diesel.

It's hard to say as pricing is completely different over here, I personally quite like the Yaris but Camry's are near worthless over here, it cost me less to get a 2 year old 3.0 Camry than it would for a 6 month old 1.3 Yaris, that's under 1/3 of it's new price.

I hate to say it cause it's rare that I say anything bad about any toyotas, but highly recommend you reconsider getting a Yaris. I drove my friend's Yaris one time, and I felt like I was gonna have to get out and push it. Acceleration was horrible and it was totally uncomfortable. Don't take my word for it though, you should go test drive it yourself. I would recommend a few year old Camry or Corolla over a new Yaris/Echo any day.

Thank you for the response, schnoid. I was lucky enough to snag a Yaris yesterday, as my replacement rental covered by my insurance. I only just drove it home from the rental shop, which took less than 5 minutes, so I haven't given it a good run yet. That'll come though. I really appreciate your response.

You'd get more replies if you posted on the American forums rather than the UK forums as there are more Camry owners there. I'm one of probably 3000 people in the UK who own a Camry as there very rare over here and therefore probably 1 of less than 1000 who have experience of both the Yaris and Camry, both of which are slightly different to the versions you can get. As for the Yaris or it's saloon variant the Echo which we can't get either I believe the majority of them were 1.3 and 1.5 whereas over here they are most commonly 1.0 petrol or 1.4 diesel.

It's hard to say as pricing is completely different over here, I personally quite like the Yaris but Camry's are near worthless over here, it cost me less to get a 2 year old 3.0 Camry than it would for a 6 month old 1.3 Yaris, that's under 1/3 of it's new price.

Thanks jamesholden for the excellent info. Who knew about all the Camry differences b/w the U.K., and N.A.? The Camry is, indeed, a very popular car over here with an outstanding reputation for reliability. I'm glad to hear that you like both the Camry and the Yaris. On another note, Canada and the U.S have different formulae for some very popular name brand food products, too. Hmmm!

Thanks again.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links