Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust On Tailgate 06 Yaris

techy

Hi Everyone,

I have an 06 Yaris which has to be, just about the worst car i have ever owned, bar none.

I won't bore you all with the history to date, i could write a book about this car ! but you would seriously not believe the trouble i have had, and the car went back to Toyota for over two months and is still not right!

The final straw has to be when a few days ago whilst washing the car, i noticed some blistering on the paintwork, around the flexible rubber grommit, if you have the tailgate open, you will see on the top N/S that takes some wiring from the main body of the car to the tailgate, when i lifted this from the tailgate, it sure is rusting well after just two and a half years !

I have told Toyota i want the car replaced (some hope!), and just wondered if anyone else had found the same problem with rust here, or you might want to check and let the forum know ?..

Only a few days ago the N/S drive shaft oil seal failed, which put oil all over the drive, that was amusing !

What on earth is going on with the Yaris and quality at the factory ? i could have got other cars for a lot less, and even if i had the same problems still been quids in !

Ah well, must'nt be too fussy i suppose.

Techy

:angry:

Hi Everyone,

I have an 06 Yaris which has to be, just about the worst car i have ever owned, bar none.

I won't bore you all with the history to date, i could write a book about this car ! but you would seriously not believe the trouble i have had, and the car went back to Toyota for over two months and is still not right!

The final straw has to be when a few days ago whilst washing the car, i noticed some blistering on the paintwork, around the flexible rubber grommit, if you have the tailgate open, you will see on the top N/S that takes some wiring from the main body of the car to the tailgate, when i lifted this from the tailgate, it sure is rusting well after just two and a half years !

I have told Toyota i want the car replaced (some hope!), and just wondered if anyone else had found the same problem with rust here, or you might want to check and let the forum know ?..

Only a few days ago the N/S drive shaft oil seal failed, which put oil all over the drive, that was amusing !

What on earth is going on with the Yaris and quality at the factory ? i could have got other cars for a lot less, and even if i had the same problems still been quids in !

Ah well, must'nt be too fussy i suppose.

Techy

Yes, I am afraid that things aint what they used to be. I had a 1990 Toyota Carina 2 that I ran from 1997 to 2006 (about 70,000 miles by me on top of the 50,000 already on the clock when I bought it) and I had so few problems with it that they hardly bear mentioning.

By contrast I now have a 2004 Yaris Diesel which although it still only has 22,000 on the clock has already had a few problems. These include blocked up EGR valve assembly. All alloy wheels having to be replaced under warranty due to lacquer bubbling up. Problems with headlamp dipper control. The paintwork is so soft and thin that I am almost afraid to wash it (would never take it to a car wash with the spinning brushes). Bodywork creaks and groans due to movement on road surface. This by the way is one of the top of the range Yaris models (T Spirit).

Regarding yours, I guess you can get the paint problem sorted under warranty but I guess you would rather see the back of the thing. You have my sympathy.

:angry:

sorry to hear about both of your yaris's having problems :(

i hope you hassle your dealers and get things sorted :yes:

i never had the rust problem on my old tsport [2003 phase 2 ]

but i did have the alloys replaced due to the paint bubbling.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Techy

unlike your experience with the Yaris, mine has been generally positive. I do find that there has been excessive cost cutting by Toyota in the choice of materials, unlit switches etc but i was horrified to find rust on the inside of the tailgate of my 06 Yaris.

the rust is on the bolts on the hinges at the top of the door and there is also the beginings of some bubbles around what look like spot welds at the bottom of the door.

Have you raised the issue with toyota?

Cheers

Alan

Hello Techy

unlike your experience with the Yaris, mine has been generally positive. I do find that there has been excessive cost cutting by Toyota in the choice of materials, unlit switches etc but i was horrified to find rust on the inside of the tailgate of my 06 Yaris.

the rust is on the bolts on the hinges at the top of the door and there is also the beginings of some bubbles around what look like spot welds at the bottom of the door.

Have you raised the issue with toyota?

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

I have PM'd you on this, but i would also just ease the rubber bellows out from the top N/S edge of the tailgate, it takes the wiring into the tailgate, that's where mines starting to rust badly.

At the moment i am getting nowhere with Toyota, they will not replace the car without me putting in extra money, which i refuse to do, and i am still waiting to hear from the dealer, as to when Toyota will approve the repairs. ! they have taken a photo and sent to Toyota.. but so far i have heard nothing further which really concerns me.

I have never had any problems at all with the Toyota's made in Japan i have owned in the past.

I would suggest to other owners that are concerned, to check around the tailgate and let the forum know if they spot any rust here.

Techy

• 1 month later...

well mine is not a yaris its an aygo and had the rust problem since the car was one and a half years old, took it to toyota and sparayed a patch on the roof (rust was d/s top of windscreen) then after a year was cleaning the car and saw a patch of bulging rust coming out from under the 3rd break light so took it back there and this time they sprayed all the roof (there was even rust around the arial when they removed it to spray the roof ) but they did the job straight away i cant complain and they were very nice thanks to johann the guy in charge ;)

• 4 weeks later...
well mine is not a yaris its an aygo and had the rust problem since the car was one and a half years old, took it to toyota and sparayed a patch on the roof (rust was d/s top of windscreen) then after a year was cleaning the car and saw a patch of bulging rust coming out from under the 3rd break light so took it back there and this time they sprayed all the roof (there was even rust around the arial when they removed it to spray the roof ) but they did the job straight away i cant complain and they were very nice thanks to johann the guy in charge ;)

Well get this, my car has been at the dealer since the 15th of Dec, apperently the rust is not repairable, so the whole tailgate has to be replaced. !! :(

I got a call from the dealer yesterday, to tell me the car was ready, drove all the way to the dealer today, to be told, that nothing had been done to the car, and they could not get hold the bodyshop to find out what was going on.

I have never, ever come across such shocking service and care, or indeed complacency and the attitude from Toyota beggars belief !..they tell me they think they are doing me a favour by agreeing to replace the tailgate under warranty. (big deal) !

I am uttlerly fed up with whole situation, and i am really shocked at the quality of this car, and how it has been dealt with.

Oh, and i have found more rust on the car, underneath the front bumper, but Toyota tell me the problems are not serious enough to warrant replacing the car.

I wonder what would be ?..

Techy

Well get this, my car has been at the dealer since the 15th of Dec, apperently the rust is not repairable, so the whole tailgate has to be replaced. !! :(

I got a call from the dealer yesterday, to tell me the car was ready, drove all the way to the dealer today, to be told, that nothing had been done to the car, and they could not get hold the bodyshop to find out what was going on.

I have never, ever come across such shocking service and care, or indeed complacency and the attitude from Toyota beggars belief !..they tell me they think they are doing me a favour by agreeing to replace the tailgate under warranty. (big deal) !

I am uttlerly fed up with whole situation, and i am really shocked at the quality of this car, and how it has been dealt with.

Oh, and i have found more rust on the car, underneath the front bumper, but Toyota tell me the problems are not serious enough to warrant replacing the car.

I wonder what would be ?..

Techy

Thats awful!

We got told some parts would be in at our local(ish) dealer on Tuesday - so we went the 15 miles there and they hadn't come in! The parts that had arrived had gone to another dealer in the group and that was only some of them.

The guy said "they should've called you"...well D'UH they didn't! The most important bit has to come from Japan and isn't due until the 7th of Jan!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links