Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Need Some Good Tyres

jacob.collins

I've got an ST205 and at the weekend I took a round about fairly quick and lost the back end, my car spun around 180 and parked up nicely on the other side of the roundabout, much to my relief. My tyres are very budget, they came with the car when I bought it, after the weekends near miss I have decided to invest in some better tyres, and was wondering what my fellow celica buddies are using or recommend.

Depends what your after, but try and go for these marks on a tyre, they are printed around the tyre itself.

Temperature

A - is for hot areas, or summetime.

B - for normal weather (around this time of year.

C - Cold weather.

Traction

A - tyre performed well on both surfaces

B - tyre performed on one of the surfaces

C - (need we say anymore? lol) performance is poor on one or both.

Theres a letter thats there too, usually "V" - which is the speed rating (149mph/240kmh)

hope this is of some use to you.

Then theres the load capacity (can be anything, mines 80 per wheel)

good luck

Cheers boys I start looking at the different types, didn't realise about all the different letters and ratings, thats a great help

Dont buy yokohama A536'S because they suck big time in the wet as i found out. Probably one of the best dry tyres though.

Yeah Yoko's do wear quite quick, id only put them on for track events (cos theyr not cheap either lol), but its worth knowing what youve got or what you might end up with so as u dont end up having a mishap due to tyres failing.

The Eagle F1s are a good tire but they have less treadwear and get less traction than say, the Eagle GT II. That tire may not have the streetracer look but they are rated for 140mph and get excellent traction and tread life. Although I run Kumhos on my 87. I buy as cheap as possible. 195/50/15s are hard to find cheap.... But I have been impressed with Kumho I must say.

I use Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2's in a 225/45/16 on my ST205. Frankly you get what you pay for with tyres, after all they're the only thing in contact with the road!

SIRIUS - what size tyre do you have, the size I bought were not available in GS-D3's

I have been driving Toyota cars for 16 years and have alway like Yokohama tires on them.

They used come through as standard equipment but not any more.

Great tread life and hold the road well.

These have been on Camry and Corolla. Never had a performance Celica though.

Good luck.

I use Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2's in a 225/45/16 on my ST205. Frankly you get what you pay for with tyres, after all they're the only thing in contact with the road!

SIRIUS - what size tyre do you have, the size I bought were not available in GS-D3's

I use 225/50/16's the correct size is 215/50/16's I think it gives me a 1.6% error on my speedo

I agree with your comment - not worth scrimping on tyres - doesn't matter how good your breaks are or how good the suspension is - if you loose traction :eek:

I've got 17's on my car at the minute, whats the difference between Goodyear F1 GS-D3 and the GS-D2's

off hand i honestly couldnt tell you - though there should be another no. on the tyre which is the tread wear (should you go looking into it).

As for my 2pennies on tyres.... you dont get what you pay for all the time... when it first kicked off in Iraq, there were tyre companies that immediatly raised the price of their tyres by 30% , the war wasnt going on where their factories were, they were just cashing in on it - such is life i guess.

As for me driving on cheap tyres... they werent on me celica, but they taught me a lot (how to drive on ice lmao)

I use toyo proxies T1-S, I think there very good. The supra people seem to think T1-S, goodyear F1's, and SO-3's are the 3 top choices. Most going for the F1's, & SO-3's. They have good wear/ wet performance.

Hello there,

I've got Dunlop SP9000's on my IS200 and they perform brilliantly (both in the dry and wet) before that I had Bridgestone Potenza's and they were also good but wore down very quickly (17k from new), the SP9000's seem to be wearing a bit harder...thank god!

If your after a good deal checkout www.blackcircles.com..

Good luck,

Mark.