Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo 4agze

Lotus7

Guys,

I have built a Turbo 4AGZE for my Lotus 7 Replica been using it on road and track for around 2 years but want more power. Currently getting 131KW at wheels usinga VF8 turbo from a Sube.

Any ideas what would be a good upgrade for this?

I've got a spreadsheet around somewhere of what turbos are suited to modded 4agze's, depending on what sort of characteristics you want (fast response, slower response but more boost or full race setups). Can't remember where I got it from, probably one of those late night net-trawling sessions.

Message me with your e-mail addy and I'll send you a copy of the spreadsheet. It might not be that good, but it might be a handy guide.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no big fan of sube parts, but heres what i can tell you about 4agze turbos :D

T25 will give you really quick responce and can boost you to about 15psi

T3 is a good mid-range turbo, for more boost but slower spooling time,

T4 from what i have heard will give you BOOST!

some people have used the turbos from the 3s-gte, some from the nissan 300zx. im guessing that with the lotus you will have more room for your turbo?

someone out here put the turbo from a single turbo 7m-gte onto their 4agze...said it was a monster turbo for the 1600.

hope this heps B)

lvn_mr2 is pretty much on the money, any of those would be a good upgrade, also i might add to the mix, perhaps a turbo off a nissan SR20DET.... as the ones off the s15 spec 200sx/silvia are ball bearing....

or if you wanted to get really crazy, you could use a nice wee lil GT30 turbo :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

ohhhhkaaayy,

for a custom 4a-gte i say one of these:

garrett gt25---good response, ball bearing and can safely boost past 25psi

garrett gt 30 as above but bigger, 30+psi

garrett gt45 for total overkill drag-racing motors, pick a psi

or if you want useless wa|\|k factor, as this will not spool, a trust T-88-34D.

or not...lol

but go the garretts. :thumbsup:

M.

Silly question, how much boost could a stock late spec 4agze take before you need to start doing expensive work on the internals? Just wondering cause I've got a couple of turbos off nissan 200sx's on their way to me at the moment (freebies off a mate) and was thinking of something like this as a project for later in the year.

The supercharger on my 4A-GZE once peaked at 14psi and generally runs at 12-13psi so they are obviously good for that. There was a bloke in Singapore who wanted to know how much boost the charger would mak before the rotor tips melted up and he was making 19psi.

The GZE pistons are forged and semi-coated and should be good for 240bhp.

So running in the 14-15 psi region should be no problem? Nice B) That project might have just come a step closer, especially now I've found out that one of the ladies in the mk1 owners club is about 3/4 of the way through her turbo conversion. Might have to see if I can have a look at the car once it's done up, steal any good ideas.

A stock standard GZE could easily take 30psi happily with no internal mods. It's a fact, provided you have meticulously sort out your fuel management correctly. The only weak part on the GZE that might not stand prolong stress is the con-rod bearings. Most of the toasted GZEs are due to weak fuel management or the bearings giving way when you over-reved it. Get good aftermarket ones and it will easily stand up to 9,000rpm provided your valve springs are strong enough to prevent valve float.

A stock standard GZE could easily take 30psi happily with no internal mods. It's a fact, provided you have meticulously sort out your fuel management correctly. The only weak part on the GZE that might not stand prolong stress is the con-rod bearings. Most of the toasted GZEs are due to weak fuel management or the bearings giving way when you over-reved it. Get good aftermarket ones and it will easily stand up to 9,000rpm provided your valve springs are strong enough to prevent valve float.

Sorry Speedchaser - I put you down as being from Singapore and you are from Malasia. My fault - I ought to get out and about more. I picked my info from the MR2FAQ board - but it is very useful to know that you pos here too. I'll be interested to see how your turbo conversion goes - especially the ignition control with the dli system.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread though. No offence taken ae111sr, we just help whatever we could for the benefit of the GZE community.

My turbo setup is all done up and going good. It's on my website. The bad point is, I burned my clutch again. I've already modded the stock clutch and plate but it still couldn't hold down the power. Power is not an issue anymore, handling is, which is a lot to ask on a 20 year old chassis of a car which was not designed to hold up with this. Quarter runs is kinda difficult what with the steering having a mind on its own when the boost kicks in at 3.2k even with a 16 inch 205 wheels. Quarter times aside, the feel good factor will really put a wide grin on your lips.

I'll get a dyno run on it as soon as I could get myself a new aftermarket clutch. I presume it will easily be in the range of 250 to the wheels.

I can't get to your website from work - seems to be blocked. I'll take a look when I get home. Cheers mate.