Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Induction Kit Or Trd Panel Filter

TSPORT@TTE

Hi everyone, can you help. I have an 04 Corolla T-Sport. I'm unsure what to do - whether to fit an Induction Kit and if so, which one? Or whether to keep the original air box and fit a TRD Panel Filter. Any advice would be greatfully received. Thanks.

Hi everyone, can you help. I have an 04 Corolla T-Sport. I'm unsure what to do - whether to fit an Induction Kit and if so, which one? Or whether to keep the original air box and fit a TRD Panel Filter. Any advice would be greatfully received. Thanks.

I'm not a mechanic but can give you advice based on my own experience. I spoke to fensport this week about the same thing and they said fitting a trd panel filter to my cts would free up the throttle response a bit. In my experience (I have a blitz mesh filter on a st182 celica) the induction roar is superb, but I'm not really sure it makes much difference in horsepower terms even with a cold air feed unless the induction kit is shielded from the heat of the engine bay. (I have no proof of this however as have not had the car dyno'd). I found I was drawing in a lot of heat from the engine bay which was counter productive to power gain. Think I'm gonna treat myself to an uprated panel filter as im guessing toyota will have invested a lot of r&d into this. Let me know how you get on!

Get the Induction Kit, a K & N Typhoon, Apexi or a Blitz will all give a lovely noise and improve throttle response, mid range torque and top end power. A member on here produced 201 BHP on the Rolling Road with the Typhoon. Since i fitted mine fuel economy has improved about 2-3 MPG and the drivability is much better as the CTS suffers from such low torque figures.

The TRD panel filter no doubt improves air flow increasing throttle response but i have never seen any figures showing an improvement or decrease in power or torque.

An induction kit though should be declared to the insurance company and it will probably increase your premium, unless like me your with Adrian Flux and they didnt increase the cost.

I'm not a mechanic but can give you advice based on my own experience. I spoke to fensport this week about the same thing and they said fitting a trd panel filter to my cts would free up the throttle response a bit. In my experience (I have a blitz mesh filter on a st182 celica) the induction roar is superb, but I'm not really sure it makes much difference in horsepower terms even with a cold air feed unless the induction kit is shielded from the heat of the engine bay. (I have no proof of this however as have not had the car dyno'd). I found I was drawing in a lot of heat from the engine bay which was counter productive to power gain. Think I'm gonna treat myself to an uprated panel filter as im guessing toyota will have invested a lot of r&d into this. Let me know how you get on!

Hi just to let you know i spoke to fensport and envy performance today and they both said the TRD panel filter will improve throttle response and mid range performance, the only difference between the TRD panel filter and a induction kit is the noise the noise the induction kit produces. They both recommended the TRD filter.

An induction kit though should be declared to the insurance company and it will probably increase your premium, unless like me your with Adrian Flux and they didnt increase the cost.

Or with Esure who were convinced "The A'PEXi Power Intake is a non-performance enhancing modification" :lol:

I should be in sales!!

Or with Esure who were convinced "The A'PEXi Power Intake is a non-performance enhancing modification" :lol:

I should be in sales!!

would you ring tesco and tell them too. they want £100 from me

Hi just to let you know i spoke to fensport and envy performance today and they both said the TRD panel filter will improve throttle response and mid range performance, the only difference between the TRD panel filter and a induction kit is the noise the noise the induction kit produces. They both recommended the TRD filter.

Yeh, think I'll def treat myself to the panel filter. I love stealth mods! :P

I should be in sales!!

would you ring tesco and tell them too. they want £100 from me

These were the main points from my arguement (took 2 phone calls):

1. It's sold as a Power Air Cleaner

2. No website selling it for the CTS advertises an increase in BHP unlike Induction Kits which do offer an increase.

3. It uses the original pipework in the engine bay so only replaces the air box unlike the K&N Induction kit which replaces the pipework too.

Worked for me! :thumbsup:

I was with Tesco and after declaring mods the cost went up £200 and the excess went up from £200 to £500, upon switching to Flux the cost went down £100 from the original Tesco price and the excess went down to £150. This is with all the same features that the Tesco policy had, i also didnt hit any of the age barriers i.e 21/25. So all in all the cost is £300 less, which is disappointing having been with TESCO for 7yrs.

£628 with Full NCD Protected, 20k per annum with Business cover for 2x 27yr olds parked on the drive.

Is Fensport the only place to sell the TRD Panel Filter? They have a Blitz filter for only £31, will this not be similar to the TRD one as there's quite a difference in price at £49.99 for the TRD one.

• 8 months later...

I tried to buy the trd panel filter from fensport but they had sold out, the guy on the phone said buy the blitz one as its just as good! I bought it and i think it made a positive difference especially in 3rd gear. I would reccomend it anyway especially for the money. Oh and fensorts service was spot on.

What is the air filter for anyway?

Presumably filtering out all these 'particles' gives cleaner air to the engine, but so what? Does that prolong its life or something?

If so, then surely an EGR is a really really bad thing given that it re-circulates (in the case of my D4D) all the carbonized crap in the exhaust back into the cylinder!

(No, I don't know anything about car engines, but I'm willing to learn! :D)

What is the air filter for anyway?

Presumably filtering out all these 'particles' gives cleaner air to the engine, but so what? Does that prolong its life or something?

If so, then surely an EGR is a really really bad thing given that it re-circulates (in the case of my D4D) all the carbonized crap in the exhaust back into the cylinder!

(No, I don't know anything about car engines, but I'm willing to learn! :D)

Im no expert and if what i say is completely wrong please correct me. Yes filtering out these particles does give the engine cleaner air and as far as im aware its very important as if you didnt have a filter you would have to do constant oil changes and more seriously small stones could easily find there way into a engine if no air filter was in place! This would cause damage im sure!

This thread has turned quite amusing!

An air filter filters air! Not having one would cause your moving parts (eg pistons) to hit all sorts of road debris which would eventually destroy the engine!

An induction kit/ panel filter lets more air in so the Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow process is more powerful as more air coming in needs more fuel thus producing more power.

An Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve recirculates exhaust gas cleaning it up so when it comes out the tail pipe its not Smokey and dirty.

Forget the Panel filter for a CTS get a big beefy CAI like the Typhoon :thumbsup:

ive got the blitz panel filter, but have removed the stock intake system and put in a cold air feed pipe directly to the lower front grill. throttle response is definately improved and does sound more beasty! i did some research before i went down this route and read a book called modern engine tuning written by a. g. bell in which they talk about how smaller engines ( > 3000cc) or engines with little low down torque benefit more from a panel filter over an induction kit. although if you had a completely sealed induction kit it might be a different story!

ive got the blitz panel filter, but have removed the stock intake system and put in a cold air feed pipe directly to the lower front grill. throttle response is definately improved and does sound more beasty! i did some research before i went down this route and read a book called modern engine tuning written by a. g. bell in which they talk about how smaller engines ( > 3000cc) or engines with little low down torque benefit more from a panel filter over an induction kit. although if you had a completely sealed induction kit it might be a different story!

Get it on the Rollers :D

I've got the K&N oiled panel filter in mine which I picked up from demon tweaks.

By just looking at it you can tell its more free flowing, but I wouldnt say there was any difference in sound. Perhaps a slight improvment with 3rd gear pickup but hardly noticable. I think i'd probably have to do something with the stock air feed, its got more bends in it than I can count and seems really restricted. Sounds like chaycore has sorted that problem out.

I've got the K&N oiled panel filter in mine which I picked up from demon tweaks.

By just looking at it you can tell its more free flowing, but I wouldnt say there was any difference in sound. Perhaps a slight improvment with 3rd gear pickup but hardly noticable. I think i'd probably have to do something with the stock air feed, its got more bends in it than I can count and seems really restricted. Sounds like chaycore has sorted that problem out.

i was amazed at how restrictive the stock piping was! the cold air feed piping was 13 pound off eBay. think its 55 or 65mm, fits perfectly snug into the hole in the stock airbox :)

blitz LM panel filter here too on my T SPort... sounds different to stock!

still not fitted my airtight ram piping yet.. but its in the works!

Would anyone recomend a filter or induction kit for any of the smaller engines

i've got the blitz with standard intake. Its a definite improvement over a dirty paper filter, not sure about a "clean paper filter". if you want some real HP, smoothen the manifold a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

again, Article is over 10 years.

Surely the may have improved by now. ;)