Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Bank Has Really Annoyed Me Today!?!?!?!

Jimlad

First of all I transferred a large amount of money to someone today that hasn't arrived in there account. The bank said it should take two hours.

So I phoned up about this and I'm told someone will look into it tomorrow and give me a call?! WTF?? Sort it now!

Secondly I was logging onto my internet banking and it said access has been stopped for my own security. When I called them they said I have to either go into my local branch (35miles away) with ID. Or wait two days for them to send out a security pack, which I then send back to them. It then takes 6days for it to be sorted and for me to be able to use telephone/internet banking!!? OMG, can they not just ask me security questions over the phone and reset it!!!

I mean WTF?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

PS : the bank in question is HSBC

It's all security m8... would you rather your account was compromised?... ok.. 6 days is a bit long, granted.. but that's to do with the postal system too, doing it over the internet also defeats the purpose.. so not even suggested... doing it by phone can be just as risky... there is no way they can be sure who they are talkjing to.. even if you do answer the security questions... so do the miles and go in and see them if you can't wait 6 days.

Just the way the world is today... too much fraud which they are trying to protect you against.

Well Jim I do sympathise but at the end of they day what do you really expect from a bank on Sunday.

What facility do you expect the bank to provide to you to allow you to move a large sum of money within two hours. Unless you are talking off shore Swish or Geneva banking in something like six figures then the very best system is a Chapps payment which is commercially available, and transfers money supposedly instantly but takes up to six hours. I dont know about private use of the chaps facilities. you do get money transfers etc, what about paypal.......

There are only a few instruments for moving cash, most of them take days often 3 days at best. Was it a bank account or a building society account you were paying into cause that makes a difference too. If you want it done it can be done but it is expensive. How much were you being charged for the transfer?

I think your expectations are high asking your bank to help you move cash, honestly.

Now the fact that they told you they could do it in two hours is gob smacking, and I am not one bit surprised they could not follow through, now you will get the faceless crap that banks specalise in. Taking ages to sort out the crap, but dont worry you will get several apologies along the way.

Now the security issues are a right laugh. Anything they do will compromise the account, in the long run you should be glad, but what triggered the account freez, something to do with your transfer perhaps?

Now you know how banks work, and choose a bank that has no local representation. How did you think you would get banking problems sorted out. You cant possibly have thought there was not going to be any problems with your bank?

Even when you use internet banking exclusively, sometimes when something goes screwy you need to go in to a physical branch, so always handy to go with a bank that has a branch close enough to you so you can 'pop in'

Now banks and credit card companies DO sometimes freeze an account for no apparent reasons which is annoying - I had a credit card payment frozen last month as they suspected a fraudulant transaction, even though the same payment happened every month (so why wait until last month?) and was for just £2.50 :rolleyes: So that £2.50 was frozen, so the recipent stopped providing their service (as they were not getting paid), so the house alarm was no longer being monitored remotely

And there lies the contradiction. Financial institutions have all these rules and regulations to protect us from fraud but if they can see a way to make a fast buck by creating dodgy financial instruments (like derivates and sub-prime mortgages) they are allowed to gamble with our money until they destroy the economy, go figure.

Yip... it was all due to suspected fraudulent account use!!

I sorted it out today over the phone.. then transferred the funds again. Only for them to freeze the transfer again!!! Finally got it sorted this afternoon though.

I can see why they do it, but it can be annoying!!

HSBC!! - Nuff said, I went into my local branch to change my address, and guess what... still got everything going to the old address nearly two months later. But that isn't the worst part, they have recently halfed or completley withdrawn a large number of overdraft facillities without letting anyone know! (it's written in the t&c's apparently that they don't have to let you know) :o

There was a well known scam a while ago, criminals were stealing peoples details and then withdrawing a minimal amount that you wouldn't notice was missing. Apply that over 100 people and it amounts up. I'd rather they let me know about it, maybe question it, but putting a block on it without notice would drive me mad. :(

Gonna change banks then, Jimlad, or staying put now they sorted it?

Teddy - you are right about the little amounts all add up when nicked from a load of people. I was not TOO upset by that, I must admit. It was fortunate the receipent sent a "did not get your last payment" email so I knew

Overdraft .. I got a letter like that from LLoydsTSB ...." As you are not using your overdraft facility, we have decided to reduce the amount. Hope you don't mind". I would be hacked off if I got a charge for going over the new amount if it was still under the old one :no:

I wonder if the potential overdrafts on accounts are somehow counted against Banks, so by reducing even the unused ones, it lowers their risk level? :g:

Well I have a second account with the Wife with a different bank, so I think I'm going to use that full time now. The whole HSBC thing really done my nut in!!!

I'm with HSBC and I have to say I'm glad they dont charge £20 for everyday you are over your overdraft!!!!

The reason the banks freeze small amounts (under £10 normally) is because of fraud. If your account is being used fraudulently, the scammers will take a small payment first, if the tranasaction is stopped, they know they are being rumbled, if it goes through OK, then the next payment they take will be a whopper!!!

Mrs Kingo had her brand new debit card skimmed at a well known supermarket :eek: The scammers then bought a £5 voucher with it, all went through OK, then she had over 1K withdrawn over 24 hours, £100 in Japan, and £900 from a company in India, needless to say you dont check your account everyday, and fortunatley she happened to be in the bank and got a mini statement showing the fraudulent transactions. She got her money back but it took about 6 weeks

My bank gave me a little crdit card reader thingy (technical term) for when I want to use my internet account. If I'm transfering money online, I do all the internet stuff, and before my transaction is complete, I have to put my bank card in the thingy which displays a security number, I type the security number in to the online bank and it all goes through, no problem, works well for me :yes:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I have one of those readers, Kingo - can be a pain if you want to pay a bill on line and forget to take it with you ;)

That kind of thing is well overdue though - not for banking, but I also have a "Token" to connect remotely to my companies computer network and to use that, you have to run the software to connect and THEN put in both the 6 digit number of the token, which changes every minute, AND your 4 character PIN. and everyones token is different, so that is a very high level of security.

Re the Debit Card thing - not a lot of people seem to know this (even IN THE BANKS!), but if the card is a VISA Delta Debit Card, it has similar protection to a Credit Card via a scheme called "Chargeback" - and interestingly, there is no minimum or maximum protection amount, unlike Credit Cards, where the spend has to be over £100 (don't know the maximum)