Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusty Wheel Nuts Not Covered Under Warranty ?

balli hi

One of the things my car went in for today, was for the rusty wheel nuts to be changed.

I had some changed on the front a few months back, which were changed under warranty without quible, however my dealers are now telling me that they have spoken to TOYOTA in order to gain autherisation, but have been told that the locking type nuts are covered but the normal ones are not, so therefor i will have to pay for them if i want them replaced :wacko: can this be right ?

No. They are covered under warranty. they don't even need prior authorisation, just order and fit them

Thanks for the reply Goodison

thats what i thought, i find it incredible that they are now claiming that Toyota have told them that something so cheap as wheelnuts are chargeable

Its not the first time i have had problems with this particular dealer, in the past they refused to change my washer jets too, claiming that they were not covered under warranty

I'm sorry but I have to ask !

Is rusty wheel nuts a problem on this particular Toyota model?

I would have thought that unless the wheels had been on & off frequently with an ill fitting wrench then they shouldn't be rusty?

I recently scrapped a Toyota that was over 15 years old & I took the alloy wheels & nuts off to keep & not one was rusty!

Maybe the alloy wheel insultated them abit? But to be honest my two current toyotas have steel wheels & there isn't a rusty wheel nut/bolt between them ?

Has quality control gone down the pan or something?

P.S. Maybe it's the vast muddy & waterlogged "storage" compounds they stockpile them in nowadays before delivering to the dealers?

Rusty wheel nuts are a common problem on the auris model, as others on this forum have complained of for a while.

It would seem that toyota have had the nuts produced cheaply, from poor quality metal, also the locking type nuts, are no longer of the chrome type, and these are prone to rust too :(

just poor British engineering, thats why our car manufacturing went the way it did. Now we are trying our best to destroy the best in the world, as are the french and the turks. Toyota had no option , to gain mass production in Europe they had to be built in Europe. Wonder why the Japanese Auris does not suffer brake squeal !!

Oxymoron, i am curious, where is frostyburn ?

I know the answer ! FROSTY-BURN is an Oxymoron !

[ oxymoron ] " a figure of speech in which two words or phrases of opposite meaning are set together for emphasis or effect, e,g.... falsely true." hmmm !

(To bring it back on topic : ) :thumbsup:

When they are replacing the rusty nuts/bolts can you not stipulate better quality ones (& pay the different !)

That way when you warranty runs out you'll not have to worry about your nuts becoming a problem!?

Nobody likes to have ugly looking nuts, it's just not nice !

Just thought of another Oxymoron : Excessive-Moderation

I would not have thought so, is the answer to your question, the fact of the matter is, and i have been advised this before.....i need to change my dealer,

" Its not as if they have a warranty clerk stood over their shoulder scrutinising , each and every claim, and ready to reject it, they simply only have to order and fit without prior authorisation "was the quote.

The problem is finding one in the Romford area , i have read some reviews on some of the other dealers in the essex area , and quite frankly their customer service / after sales sucked, so what do i do ?

Anyway the nuts they use to replace the rusty ones, are of the same type, wich in turn rust over the course of time, so maybe i would be better off buying, say, a retro fit type, if there is such a thing, that are guaranteed not to rust

When they are replacing the rusty nuts/bolts can you not stipulate better quality ones (& pay the different !)

That way when you warranty runs out you'll not have to worry about your nuts becoming a problem!?

I would not have thought so, is the answer to your question, the fact of the matter is, and i have been advised this before.....i need to change my dealer,

" Its not as if they have a warranty clerk stood over their shoulder scrutinising , each and every claim, and ready to reject it, they simply only have to order and fit without prior authorisation "was the quote.

The problem is finding one in the Romford area , i have read some reviews on some of the other dealers in the essex area , and quite frankly their customer service / after sales sucked, so what do i do ?

Anyway the nuts they use to replace the rusty ones, are of the same type, wich in turn rust over the course of time, so maybe i would be better off buying, say, a retro fit type, if there is such a thing, that are guaranteed not to rust

I would not have thought so, is the answer to your question, the fact of the matter is, and i have been advised this before.....i need to change my dealer,Its not as if they have a warranty clerk stood over their shoulder scrutinising , each and every claim, and ready to reject it, they simply only have to order and fit without prior authorisation "was the quote.

If you note the correct thread/size of the nuts I'm sure you'd find corrosion resistant ones online. (Have you got alloys?)

I had a quick look & came across quite a few sites selling Stainless, Stainless Capped, Chrome Steel etc..

I have the standard snowflake alloys on my car, you can view pics, at the start of my topic on " Side door mouldings "

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I wrote about this issue on this site many months back

there is an issue with the Wheel nuts, I complained to toyota directly

who were no use but i was persistant with them who advised me to take to the dealers

and they ordered a new pair for me.

Toyota may give you some bull about only being covered for 6 months but you should be persistant

and tell then you are unhappy ( 1 years warranty with everything sold in UK )

tell them it is a topic on this website also

I got mines changed

Stuart B)

If you are fed up of rusty wheel nuts and the big mr T refuses to replace them the best thing to do is to whip em out and warm them up with a paint stripping heat gun (or your wifes / girlfriends hair dryer or the oven) so they are just bearable to touch and give em a good spray and wipe with GT85, the added PTFE and anti corrosion properties in the spray will protect against and prelong the onset of rust!!! Just give a quick squirt weekly into the nut recesses to expell any moisture and your "nuts" should stay clean and shiney for a longer time!!!

I had this problem aswell, I rang my service department and basically demanded they were changed, and they were.

There's no way its acceptable that they rust and they SHOULD be covered by warranty.

Don't accept anything less! :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links