Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Guy Here!

robbo516

hey everyone,

im currently in the market, or will be when i sell my clio 16v, for the car ive wanted since i first saw it when i was a kid, and now that im of an age when i can insure it im after one!!!

i am after a mk2 MR2, preferably in black with leather and a t-bar roof, and was looking for some advice as ive not looked into the pro's and con's yet.

So any advice you guys could give would be a great help.

Cheers, Mike. :thumbsup:

few questions .. just so we can help .. :D

Import or UK .. ?

Turbo or NA .. ?

What's your budget .?

due to insurance it will have to be a N/A uk car, and my budget will be pretty much what i get for my clio! so around the 2-3k mark i should think!

any help greatly appriciated.

thanx, Mike.

Best thing to do would be look at autotrader .. and drive ALL the ones in your area .. get a feel for the car and when you find one you like - get someone from the forum to go along and check it out with ya !

To start you off a couple of pro's and cons in response to Bibbs:

Import v UK Model

Pros

Import :More often than not comes with all the toys inc. Electric folding mirrors, ABS, Powersteering, Air con/Climate control, traction control (LSD)

UK Model: Cheaper to insure, car was available in UK.

Cons

UK Model: often comes with less options e.g. no ABS or Air con, sometimes no powersteering, no UK model will have the folding mirrors

Import: Will cost you more to insure because car was never officially available in UK so insurance companies will believe that parts are more expensive, difficult to get hold of etc. This is not strickly true of MR2's but unfortunately that's what the insurance companies think.

Import: Imports are more likely to have been raced hard/highly modified by japanese owners.

N/A v Turbo

Pros

Turbo: Blinding performance. GT model comes with all the extras including leather/suade seats (a god send in hot weather as opposed to full leather)

N/A: Cheaper insurance, more MPG - 35 + on long journeys

Cons

Turbo: Costs more to maintain due to shorter intervals between oil changes. Higher performance inevitably means brake pads etc. wear more quickly. Turbo's can explode, but

generally if well looked after they are very reliable. Cost more to insure depending on age. Higher fuel consumption i.e 25 ish mpg average.

I've probably missed loads here, but these are the main points

Ah just seen your latest post. If you want to keep insurance down - UK model would be best.

ello mate, im also a soon to be mr2 owner (i hope!). Been looking around for about 3 weeks trying to find a decent one.

Black t-bars with leather seats tend to be the most expensive models whether theyre turbo or NA. I've been looking for the very same spec as you but so far i havn't found any or have been unlucky (as with the recent black mr2 i posted a week ago!). 2-3 grand will get you a 91-92 (H or J reg) and if youre lucky an L reg. This is if youre buying from a dealer like I am though (due to finance reasons) so I reckon you'll have more luck finding an L reg in good nick than i am in your budget!

As for the pros and cons of this car i'm sure the owners here can give you tons of reasons why this car is a dream come true so I'm not gonna add to the pros here! (specially since i don't have one yet!)

As for the cons when buying look out for the following

Be wary of models advertised as "coupe", any model after mid 92 should be ok but before that the UK cars which were sold as coupes had the 3SFE engine with only 118bhp (or so). This compares to the the 158bhp the rev 2models got (91-92) and the 175bhp the rev3+models got (94 and on) until about 1998 i think when the bhp dropped to 168. The 3SFE engine is good, but you will regret having it eventually.Make sure you get a 3SGE engine!

external differences are as far as i know that the 3SFE version had no rear spoiler as standard. Under the engine lid the cam cover has a label saying 3SFE.

erm well thats one con and to be honest the only one i can think of when it comes to buying an mr2!

good luck mate, i've been wanting one since last summer! Heres hoping we both get the car that we want! :hokus-pokus:

right, so if i want the 180 ish bhp model, id be looking for an Mreg???? defo wont be able to stretch for 1 of them i dont think, not too bothered about the colour as long as its not red! I quite like the white ones though.

what are the performance times on the various models???

would be looking for one that is about low 8s high 7s to 60 cause thats what i have at the minute, and dont really want to go slower! although it is my dream car(aslond as it has a t-bar!!!)

mike.

Oh and red cars fade like mad. - con I guess unless you like pink sports cars :)

yeah i know used to have a red nova years ago and that faded real bad!!!

well i feel like ive evolved from the 'hot hatch' world now after having a couple and would really like a sports car before i settle down with the missus!!!

hope to be joining the club soon guys!

mike.

try and get a 9+ .. you get the 15 inch rims and bigger brakes as stock ..

1991+ (sorry - typing a bit poo) .. you can confirm the revision (rev2+ had the bigger brakes) by checking the chassis number ..

Yep the rev 2 + models are definately the ones to go for. The suspension is a better set up, well better is objective, some feel the earlier revision had the best suspension I disagree, Rev 2+ does not snap out i.e. out of line when power is delivered like the Rev 1 - granted it can be done, but you have to be going some to do it, in the worst of conditions with horrible tyres.... I've driven both the Rev 2 is far less twitchy.

Model BHP Years available How to tell them apart

Coupe 119bhp 1990-1992 No rear spoiler, 14" wheels REV1

GT Coupe 158bhp 1990-1994 Rear spoiler, sunroof, 14" wheels, square rear light cluster REV 2

GT T-Bar 158bhp 1990-1994 Rear spoiler, removable roof panels, 14"wheels, square rear light cluster REV 2

GT Coupe 175bhp 1994-1998 Rear spoiler, sunroof, 15" wheels, round rear light cluster REV 3

GT T-Bar 175bhp 1994-1998 Rear spoiler, removable roof panels, 15" wheels, round rear light cluster REV 3

10th Aniv 175bhp 1995 Wooden steering wheel, chrome kick plates, different wheels, 10th aniv Badge

GT Coupe 175bhp 1998-2000 Round spoke 15" wheels, large adjustable rear spoiler, clear front light cluster

from IMOC-UK

1991+ (sorry - typing a bit poo) .. you can confirm the revision (rev2+ had the bigger brakes) by checking the chassis number ..

thoguht it was rev3+ (1994+) that had bigger brakes?? or maybe im mistaken?? :blink:

incidently a good buyers guide is on IMOC-uk http://www.imoc.co.uk/ , choose Technical on the left and then Buyer's Guide

The Rev2 158bhp 3sge and Rev3 174bhp difference doesnt show on the road. The only difference that you can 'feel' is the torque is moved up the rev range on the rev3 174bhp engine(they both have virtually the same torque). As the torque kick is lower down the rev

range in the Rev1/2 models this provides a better driving experience in city streets where the low down grunt is required.

Another fine example of how much torque rulez over the vastly overrated measurement that is bhp.

Notice Dame doesnt state any 'cons' on the old n/a!

Get a rev 1 or 2 n/a T-Bar..

I personally prefere the Import but if you want gaps where buttons should be then its up to you!

whatever Jappy says...

N/a's are not faster than turbos... lol

I think he gets high from my exhaust boost pressure ( when he's trailing behind me ) and starts imagining all things.

If you're going N/A mate.. I would go the route Jappy did and get all the toys.