Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 Bonnet Wobble Bord

Nightstalker

LO Y'all :lol:

Had me Rav now just over a year and have only just noticed that me bonnet wobbles sommet cronic... is that normal ie nice and soft so that when I take pedestrians out they dont get hurt? Or is it sommet I should be talking to my nice MR T dealer about??

Regards

Rob

B)

It has been specifically designed to make it a nice cosy place to maim a pedestrian but not sure what you mean by wobble. If you go to the front and press on the tip of the bonnet, how much play is there (how much springiness is there)?

I'd looked at buying a carbon fibre bonnet from USA to offset the carbon emissions caused by shifting my carcase from 0-90 in a few seconds - its not the bonnet that wobbles but my *#?......

The bonnet is braced by a frame of sorts so has that come apart through excessive polishing??

Not sure you know Bothy... :unsure:

I shamingly have to admit to never have polished me Rav yet... :blush: gets plenty of other TLC tho...

As to the slight annoying wobble its not the bonnet latch, its when you drive at higher speeds :naughty: (not quite as fast as bothys' rocket) I can see the middle of the bonnet boucing/wobble up n down :mad2: , and I find it annoying as you drive along it kinda distracts one from the road :mad2: ... Perhaps I need to put a pedestrian to bed on it to put a bit of weight on it - that would cure the wobble... :g:

In regards to the bonnet support bar you are on about Bothers, is it visible or do I have to get mechanical and break ehm pull things appart :robot: ?

Regards

Rob

B)

I shamingly have to admit to never have polished me Rav yet... :blush: gets plenty of other TLC tho...

As to the slight annoying wobble its not the bonnet latch, its when you drive at higher speeds :naughty: (not quite as fast as bothys' rocket) I can see the middle of the bonnet boucing/wobble up n down :mad2: , and I find it annoying as you drive along it kinda distracts one from the road :mad2: ... Perhaps I need to put a pedestrian to bed on it to put a bit of weight on it - that would cure the wobble... :g:

In regards to the bonnet support bar you are on about Bothers, is it visible or do I have to get mechanical and break ehm pull things appart :robot: ?

Regards

Rob

B)

Drive your RAV around London :driving: , your get loads of Hippy ECO warriors jumping on the bonnet then :donatello: ....Cant say I've noticed mine wobble...then again the diesel clatter makes your :wacko::wacko: wobble so it sorta counter acts out the bonnet wobble

Regards

Rob

B)

I think this thread as gone slightly off-topic.

I would not think you should be able to see the kind of movement you are talking about when the bonnet is closed properly. I can see how it would be off-putting (I certainly would be find it so).

IMHO I would be inclined to drop into your dealer and compare it with another similar RAV - maybe even pretend you want to buy another one and take it out for a run and see.

the bonnet skin of metal is probably very thin - the 1994 metalwork is certainly thin. It might be that the metal sheet on the bonnet is reverbating /acting due to resonance between the sounds from the engine/heat/and airflow. Perhaps the bonnet skin has been manufactured with the metals grain set the wrong way.

The bonnet has a kind of frame that gives the bonnet its rigidity- ie thats the shaped lengths of metal under the bonnet and seen when you open same. Unless you can't see em cos its wrapped in sound deadening??

Well, the skin of metal that you are seeing rippling up and down is actually stuck - yes stuck - to the frame on my RAV. And on my RAV, the dobs of what must be contact adhesive holding the skin to the frame in the middle of the bonnet have deteriorated and have separated so the skin is just held by what I think is welds along the edges. You could always drive along at speed with someone holding a small camera under the bonnet to watch what happens.

I'd check the adhesive that holds the bonnet first tho as thats easier.

If need be I can send you some heavy duty rope in a nice bright blue colour that will set off the vermillion red just nice :lol: . Wrap it round the underside of the car and finish with a big bow on top of the bonnet!!

You know what ... I think I will film the phenomenomenonemon... and see what MR T think of it... :g:

If they say they cant find nowt wrong... then Bothers I might take you up on you offer... however not sure if the blue will go with me tints... can you make it a silver or golden ribbon? :lol:

Regards

Rob

B)

You know what ... I think I will film the phenomenomenonemon... and see what MR T think of it... :g:

If they say they cant find nowt wrong... then Bothers I might take you up on you offer... however not sure if the blue will go with me tints... can you make it a silver or golden ribbon? :lol:

Regards

Rob

B)

I have some nice new white plastic coated chain......or 6mm single core wire with a pink insulation, or 12 x 12mm bolts, galvanised with associated nuts.

Nightstalker

just to give you some idea :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

weddingcars.jpg

It is red as well so you can gauge how well yours will look....Think the front bonnet bouquet looks nice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

off topic I know but the couldn't resist.... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

There's a TSB for Bonnet vibration. PM me an email address if you want it Rob. It adds three extra seals to the front edge of the bonnet.

:thumbsup:

Well spotted Grasshopper!!!

By eck ay

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

• 4 weeks later...

Lo there all....

I've been taking a nosey around on the Rav4world site of our friends accross the pond and found this link ;)

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18464

Hmm... not sure if it worked propper or not... anyway - they have the problem over there n all and call it Hood Flutter :( ....

Now being a numpty :wacko: I did'nt mention this to my local friendly MR T dealer However as Big red wants new shoes I will be taking her there to get them replaced and will mention the hood flutter to them then...

Come on surley there must be more of us over here experiencing this problem??? - I did try to film it but could'nt capture it properly... anywho go and hit the motorway or back road and sneak into the 70-120mph range and you might come accross this...Maybe this is another one of those annoying MR T saftey features that let you know you are doing sommet wrong... ie the annoying beep for not wearing your seat belt... now they've brought out the hood flutter to let you know you are driving too fast :rolleyes:

regards

Rob

B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links