Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Rattle/humming Between 1500 And 2000rpm

Kaxxx

I got a 2nd hand 2004 Avensis D4D last week and it has a strange sort of rattling/humming noise coming from the passenger side which seems to be around the dash/engine turbo area. It kicks in around 1500-2000 rpm but dies out completely once i go over this. It also only sounds when i am accelerating and also dies off if i lift my foot off the accelerator. For some reason it also seemed to decrease in noise a little when it was raining on Saturday.

Thought it may have been a turbo issue since it had been sitting on a car lot for 3 months but even after a week and a half its still there.

Anyone have any idea what is causing this?

I got a 2nd hand 2004 Avensis D4D last week and it has a strange sort of rattling/humming noise coming from the passenger side which seems to be around the dash/engine turbo area. It kicks in around 1500-2000 rpm but dies out completely once i go over this. It also only sounds when i am accelerating and also dies off if i lift my foot off the accelerator. For some reason it also seemed to decrease in noise a little when it was raining on Saturday.

Thought it may have been a turbo issue since it had been sitting on a car lot for 3 months but even after a week and a half its still there.

hello

it's understood you have not been awared with service history.

how the engine is started?do not foocus on the rain weather - it's not the point.

the most probably -- the problem is with injectors (poor injection jet).

besides - remove rubber suction hose from T/C suction inlet and try to rotate the shaft -- what are your observations? is it rotated smoothly?

these variavle RMP clear show the problem with injection + rattling. in other words you depress a pedal but the diesel can not be burnt fully due to T/C can not increase its RPM + scavanging air pressure at once.

check and revert

Cheers/Igor

hello

it's understood you have not been awared with service history.

how the engine is started?do not foocus on the rain weather - it's not the point.

the most probably -- the problem is with injectors (poor injection jet).

besides - remove rubber suction hose from T/C suction inlet and try to rotate the shaft -- what are your observations? is it rotated smoothly?

these variavle RMP clear show the problem with injection + rattling. in other words you depress a pedal but the diesel can not be burnt fully due to T/C can not increase its RPM + scavanging air pressure at once.

check and revert

Cheers/Igor

Had a similar problem with my car, try this. Turn on your air conditioning and see if the noise stops.

If this works, the slipping clutch on your air conditioning pump is making the noise.

I got the pump replaced under warranty ( approx £800 ) ! at dealer.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

i have the same noise what was it ???? i thought maybe it was my air filter as just had a service and thought maybe it wasnt constructed properly ,, it makes the noise around 1600 revs then disapears when i accelerate?when i held the air filter box down it went away???

• 1 year later...
i have the same noise what was it ???? i thought maybe it was my air filter as just had a service and thought maybe it wasnt constructed properly ,, it makes the noise around 1600 revs then disapears when i accelerate?when i held the air filter box down it went away???

I too have the same problem. A garage i took it to also said it was possibly the air filter or air box, as when they held it down the noise stopped. Did you manage to sort yours out?

Good man, cheers. Ill give that a blast and post up my findings.

any developments?

cheers/Igor

I have something similar. It's when it's idle you get like a tap tap tap sound then okay and then repeated - can only hear it with the windows open. Car's going in for a service in January so I'll get it sorted then I think unless anyone has any other ideas?

try the airfilter box

mine was doing the same i have a 2.2 d4d 2007 and it started makin the same noise

when i took the cover off the airbox and removed the element the feed pipe rattled in the air box itself (not a tight fit at all) i cut up a piece of sponge and fitted it round th pipe and shoved a bit more in and pushed it in the gap with flat head screwdriver noise gone !!!

the foam fitted as standard is rather poor if you ask me !!!!!

hope it helps

• 1 month later...

hello, my dad has a 2007 2.0 d4d avensis estate car. recently he has been experiencing the same issue, however, this problem occurs when he takes his foot off the accelerator the humming noise comes. it sounds like it is coming from the air-intake, but you can also hear the noise coming through the exhaust. it has grown louder over the past month and a service did not fix the issue.

would the be the same issue? the car isnt in the driveway at the moment so i cannot check and see if the airbox is loose

smyffalis, i have the exac some problem. Someone from other Toyota forum said its the airfilter box plactic not fitted good. I didnt have time to try it yet.

• 1 month later...

I too have the same problem with the T180 estate! And it's driving me mad. Can you please just confirm that it's the airbox under the bonnet and not the pollen filter in the cab as this appeasr to be where the noise is coming from. PLease help me keep my sanity! Thanks

Try look at alternator i had similar fault with D4D and alternator drive clutch was worn

• 2 months later...

Had the same problem with 2004 D4D and it drove me mad. But as I found out later, it was just air intake hose rattling into some plastic part, so I just improvised there:) Put some colth or smthng and the noise was gone.