Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen

Tyler

Hi one and all,

Can anybody shed some light on my predicament? Due to a frosty morning, the outside of the windscreen was frozen so my hubbie duly sprayed it with de-icer. However, when I got inside the car the INSIDE of the windscreen was frozen too! After scraping like a women possessed, I eventually had some visibility to set off (couldnt use the de-icer on the inside as he had set off too and left me with none!). All the windows were closed properly - in case some think I had left one open! In all the cars I have ever owned - and there have been all different types - this is the only one that that has happened to. Remarkable. It is a RAV 4 D-4D - 2005 diesel VX. Any guesses what is wrong with it? I have owned it since last July (2007)

I doubt that anything is wrong. It's just been a cold night. The car must have been warm on the inside when it became cold on the outside, so that the moist inside the car became dew on the inside of the widshield. If it's cold enough, the dew will eventually freeze.

I come from a cold place, far north of the polar circle, and we used to cool the insides of the car before leaving it for the night to prevent this type of frost. It's quite common, so you shouldn't worry about it.

Don't know the technicalities behind it, but using de-icer certainly causes the inside of the windscreen to fog up badly.

I personally avoid using de-icer for that very reason and get the engine running, A/C on, air recycle mode set and all vents except for windscreen demister ones closed. Loosens all the ice on the screen so it can be virtually slid off the screen and warms the insides up to boot :thumbsup:

Many thanks to you for your advice. I, too, thought that it may have been the condensation on the inside from the short trip from the Railway Station to home. I will heed your advice and pull out all the stops and put the cold air on - and an extra vest! Once again, thank you.

Don't know the technicalities behind it, but using de-icer certainly causes the inside of the windscreen to fog up badly.

I personally avoid using de-icer for that very reason and get the engine running, A/C on, air recycle mode set and all vents except for windscreen demister ones closed. Loosens all the ice on the screen so it can be virtually slid off the screen and warms the insides up to boot :thumbsup:

St Thicket has a good tip there.... :thumbsup: as we all know in England the first bit of snow/ice and the whole place grinds to a halt...wonder how many cars I'll see with just enough ice cleared to see through then drive off in their cars...

Maybe worth while Tyler placing some cardboard on the drivers side, also acts an insulator a bit.....failing that park in front of your husbands car and make sure he clears yours before your move it ;) ;) ;)

Another tip is to make sure the inside of the glass is clean - moisture seems to hand on a sticky dirty windscreen. And as you breath, you exhale moisture and putting a polythene bag over the head isn't a good idea.

Up here in Scotland I suppose we are used to it - as my garage is full of junk, I tend to park the cars near the house so there's some shelter.

Or as said you could use a cover - the husbands bedclothes would be good!

• 5 years later...

Hi all. My Rav4 2001 has a bad condensation problem on the front windscreen in the mornings on cold days. When I wipe with the little hand held wiper blade tool it's practically raining on the inside. Not good :( Just had it serviced and the mechanic said most likely cause is the tray that collects the water from the windscreen that may have it's drain holes blocked. Hubby tried looking. He got the right hand tray above the Battery off but the left hand side looks more tricky. Before he starts attempting to remove this I just thought I'd ask if it's likely to be this or something else and how easy it is to remove. Everyone was really helpful before with a different problem, now resolved thank goodness, that I thought I'd ask here first. All comments gratefully received :) Thank you

Is this a recent problem or has it been like this for a while?

Hi David, it's only been since the temperature dropped. I've had the Rav since Sept 12 and last winter I didn't have the problem. My old Yaris that I part/exd had the same problem only worse and the seats even started feeling damp. I was so pleased last winter to not have the damp/frost on the windscreen only for it to start this winter :(

Jackie

Presumably the carpets are dry? Rain running down the outside of the window enters the cowl and drains under the car. A collection of water in the cowl could get into the car but it's unlikely. No need to dismantle anything - pour water into the vents on the cowl and check that it runs freely from under the car. Lots of cars suffer from heavy condensation on the inside of the screen especially as the ambient temperature drops - the problem is worse on cars used for short journeys rather than those that get regular long runs. It's caused by high humidity air inside the car being cooled against the glass - this causes water to condense.

Clean the inside of the screen with Rain-X - this usually improves matters quite a bit. Try if possible not to use the recirculation facility on the ventilation system - recirculating the air simply recirculates the water. When using the heater - switch on the aircon - this is one of the most effective ways of reducing the humidity in the car. Before coming to the end of a journey - turn off the heater so that the air in the car cools before it's trapped in the cabin. On nice days in winter (!) - give the car an airing when standing by opening the windows / doors.

Yes carpets are dry, it's only the windscreen that's soggy. I use the car between 2-3 miles each way to work daily so I guess this is classed as short journeys. I don't have the air on recirculate and usually only put the heating on to clear the windscreen as I tend to overheat if I leave it on for too long. I just find it strange that it didn't do this last winter at all. Bearing in mind similar conditions of weather and use, why would it do this now? I've just cleaned inside with glass cleaner but will try the Rain X that you suggest and using the air con. Thanks for your suggestions.

When was the pollen filter last replaced? If it is clogged, air will not circulate well. You will also be able to check if it is damp - in which case, moisture is getting in. Just have a look at the pollen filter to see if it is clean and dry.

Have read on another forum that using glycerine (available from some chemists) on a clean screen will leave a fine film on the glass, helping to prevent condensation from forming. Might be cheaper than Rain X.

Also having a side window(s) open slightly when moving should assist with clearing condensation.

I had the Rav serviced today which included changing the pollen filter so if it was that hopefully it will be better now (but unfortunately this means I can't check to find out if it's damp). Prior to that it was probably changed a year ago when I last had it serviced as I always have it serviced when MOTd. Been to Halfords and bought Rain X fog clear which I'm going to use tomorrow. Fingers crossed that and the new filter will stop it. Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming if you have any more. I'll try them all before I take it back to the garage.