Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Problems With My Prius !

Fat Tony

Can anyone help ?

I've had my Prius 2 weeks, and I've had the RAC out twice to 'jump' start me.

What happens, is that when I try to start up, it does'nt... and when I try again, after removing the fob and making sure my foot is on the brake etc the Battery goes dead in front of my eyes. All display lights fading to nothing :(

The RAC guys are very helpful and get me started and off I go back to the dealer where various tests are done. The RAC guys tell me the alternator is charging, but prior to start up the Battery voltage is down to 4v.

Has anyone had similar experience and if so, what was it and how was it repaired ?

A search for Prius 12v Aux Battery would give you lots to read on the various forums on the web including this one. The "alternator" in a Prius is actually the DC-DC converter (edit erm I was right first time, sorry it's not the inverter). WARNING if the 12v jumper leads are put on the wrong way around, it will cause many thousands in damage!!

The Prius has two different types of Battery, the HV 201 volt (the High Voltage traction battery) and a small 12v aux Battery (in the boot of the car). The Prius 12v battery has a very small capacity as it only needs to be able power up the computer and power the alarm. In good condition, with a full charge, and no abnormal drain the 12v battery should be able to last for 3 or 4 weeks. Because it has such a low capacity it doesn't take much to drain it.

There are a quite a few different possible reasons why your battery could be failing:

(If the car is brand new) Your dealer may not have performed the PDI properly, they are supposed to fully charge the 12v battery before delivery to the customer, ideally it should be charged outside the car.

User error, you left an interior light on or you didn't shut the hatch back properly, or you sat playing with the radio for too long. Always lock the car as a warning beep is meant to alert you that something is still on.

An electrical fault - e.g. a design fault with the JBL amp a few years ago was known to cause a drain of the 12v battery.

A bad battery (or an old battery if your car is not new). A 12v battery doesn't like going flat, if it happens too often it knackers the battery and should be replaced. If the battery is bad, it most likely to show itself during cold weather.

(My car is due to arrive next week and I didn't know about the 12v issue before I ordered mine - and I must admit it has me a little worried now - I am hoping it only happens in a minority of cases).

Failing to press the 'P' button before parking up can drain the Battery. This has happened to me a couple of times although you do get a 'Telling off' from the onboard computer when you restart.

When you turn off the Hybrid system with the Start button, doesn't it automatically go into Park?

:( My dealer has said that they do not charge the 12v Battery before delivery to the customer, and that it is charged at the factory!

Can anyone confirm what the dealer is meant to do?

Is it charged before it reaches the dealer?

How does the 12v Battery survive the journey on the ship? (Is the 12v Battery disconnected?)

''When you turn off the Hybrid system with the Start button, doesn't it automatically go into Park?''

I don,t think it does if you have it in 'neutral'

''When you turn off the Hybrid system with the Start button, doesn't it automatically go into Park?''

Why would you be in neutral?

Being a newbie, here is how imagine I am supposed to switch off the Prius:

1. You are in Drive or Reverse depending on how you arrived in the parking space.

2. Foot depressing the brake peddle.

3. Apply the foot operated "hand" brake.

4. Press the 'P'ark button.

5. Power off (with the brake peddle still depressed) to remove READY indication.

6. Remove foot from brake.

If you skip step 4. the Power off of the Hybrid system would automatically engage Park, yes?

BTW I am still looking for a UK specific PDI checklist and relevant Tech Service bulletins regarding what the dealer is meant to do before delivery. I found a USA one from 2003, someone must know what they are supposed to do here?

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you be in neutral?

Being a newbie, here is how imagine I am supposed to switch off the Prius:

1. You are in Drive or Reverse depending on how you arrived in the parking space.

2. Foot depressing the brake peddle.

3. Apply the foot operated "hand" brake.

4. Press the 'P'ark button.

5. Power off (with the brake peddle still depressed) to remove READY indication.

6. Remove foot from brake.

If you skip step 4. the Power off of the Hybrid system would automatically engage Park, yes?

BTW I am still looking for a UK specific PDI checklist and relevant Tech Service bulletins regarding what the dealer is meant to do before delivery. I found a USA one from 2003, someone must know what they are supposed to do here?

It is my experience that if you skip step 4 the light on the P switch comes on to indicate P selected as soon as you have hit the POWER switch. I don't know what happens if you skip skip step 4 whilst in neutral as I hardly ever use neutral. I also don't understand the reference to being told off by the display if you forget to hit the P switch. I've never seen that.

Ed

It is my experience that if you skip step 4 the light on the P switch comes on to indicate P selected as soon as you have hit the POWER switch. I don't know what happens if you skip skip step 4 whilst in neutral as I hardly ever use neutral. I also don't understand the reference to being told off by the display if you forget to hit the P switch. I've never seen that.

Ed

Thanks, your experience agrees with what I've read in various places, including I think in the Owner's Manual... (not the most user friendly Owner's Manual that I've come across).

I'm getting the hang of it (touch wood) - the procedure to power on and off the car is straight forward, but it feels very different from other cars and I am somewhat wary of deviating from my routine. The change from a hand brake to a foot operated parking brake is a surprisingly alien operation to adapt to, I'm having to put concious thought into remembering to check that the parking brake is off and my muscle memory still wants to reach for the hand brake - I've only forgotten to release it once in two weeks and as I was reversing very slowly nothing nasty happened (actually the car didn't move except the back went up a bit).

The HV Battery is not charged when in Neutral, that's a good enough reason for me not to use it, not that I've ever bothered to select Neutral at traffic light etc in any other car that I've driven with an automatic gearbox.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links