Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vibration

rogermar

Hi Guys I am just about to buy a 5 door RAV 4 with 999000 on the clock, my first RAV. it seems a lovery drive except for a vibration in 5th gear at about 50 mph it dissappears if you go faster or slower it wont vibrate in 4th and runs very well in all other the gears except 5th. I dont think it is the wheels as that would happen at that speed in any gear and I cannot feel it through the steering. I wonder if it is the gearbox any ideas would be very welcome it is priced at £1495 but I dont want to end up putting a lot of money to it straight off thank you Roger. :(

Welcome to the TOC Forum :thumbsup:

I recall that the 5th Gear vibration you are seeing is a common thing, caused by the driver resting his hand on the gearstick while cruising. I think that there is a simple fix but parts are needed to be bought.

Some of the more mechanically minded guys will be about to reply with proper details and advice.

HI mate

Welcome to the club.

Fifth gear can be troublesome on that model. There is a very useful post to show you how to fix it but it will cost you about £500 in parts (ask our parts man Parts-King and he will have them sent to your house at a discounted rate). You can do it yourself if mechanically minded or get a garage to do it.

Of course the real way is to get the current owner to give you a discount to the value of the repair!!!

Read post No 6 here;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...9&hl=puller

Hi Guys I am just about to buy a 5 door RAV 4 with 999000 on the clock, my first RAV.

Welcome Roger....... I trust that's a typo??? Or a record!

Thats nothing on a Toyota barely run in yet, think the DMF warrantee might have lapsed though :D :D Just a thought who has the highest mileage rav?

any contenders,?

was the 5th gear problem not that it jumps out of gear??

I had a problem with vibration a couple of years ago that we tracked down to be a worn central bearing half way down the prop shaft.

Hi Guys I am just about to buy a 5 door RAV 4 with 999000 on the clock, my first RAV.

Welcome Roger....... I trust that's a typo??? Or a record!

Thank you, Ahh senior moment sorry about that it's a typo.

Hi all, thank you for your comments I decided not to go ahead with that purchase. I have brought a super 3 door Green/Black RAV4 2.0 GX P reg with 92000 on the clock. Cambelt changed at 80000 so should be fine, nice and smooth in all gears. What a pleasure to drive. Regards Roger.

Welcome Proper as a RAV4 owner :)

Bothwell Buyer will be most happy to hear you have a 3 Door model :yes:

AYE - TOP MAN

Nothing tae beat a 3 door!!!

And cos its a 3 door, you'll not need Hinge Insurance the same as the 5 door chappies.

Hi all I've just registered and needing some advice about this 5th gear stick vibration problem. My Rav is a 5dr 2005 model. I had no idea it was anything serious, just an irritating vibration caused by a crap gear knob! If i push it forward or just hold it tightly the noise goes away but its getting worse and driving me nuts! Toyota cant even find the noise (no surprise there!). I've also always felt that there was something not quite right about the gear box but I've been totally fobbed off by Toyota and they refused to take the gear box out for a closer inspection. One garage tried to tell me they'd solved the problem by balancing the wheels! Idiots. The problem has pretty much been there since I bought it brand new and as you can tell I've just about had enough of the poor excuses from toyota!!!!! Can anyone help a person on the edge of insanity???!!!

Hi all I've just registered and needing some advice about this 5th gear stick vibration problem. My Rav is a 5dr 2005 model. I had no idea it was anything serious, just an irritating vibration caused by a crap gear knob! If i push it forward or just hold it tightly the noise goes away but its getting worse and driving me nuts! Toyota cant even find the noise (no surprise there!). I've also always felt that there was something not quite right about the gear box but I've been totally fobbed off by Toyota and they refused to take the gear box out for a closer inspection. One garage tried to tell me they'd solved the problem by balancing the wheels! Idiots. The problem has pretty much been there since I bought it brand new and as you can tell I've just about had enough of the poor excuses from toyota!!!!! Can anyone help a person on the edge of insanity???!!!

welcome Randall

I can send you some diazepam until an answer appears here?

Awesome send them over!!!! I apparently don't have a clue how to use this site and post replies. Useless!

Hmmmmm.......... now you'll tell me you have a 5 door RAV! :P

This has come up before and I think the owner simply changed the gear knob. They do vibrate a bit. My 4.3 does it sometimes but I can stop it by just touching the reverse lock collar.

It isn't necessarily the dreaded DMF!

This has come up before and I think the owner simply changed the gear knob. They do vibrate a bit. My 4.3 does it sometimes but I can stop it by just touching the reverse lock collar.

It isn't necessarily the dreaded DMF!

Aha I see. Well I'm gonna change the gear knob and hope for the best I think! Surely what I can't hear won't hurt me (or the Rav) !!!!!!! Thanks for the advice!

Awesome send them over!!!! I apparently don't have a clue how to use this site and post replies. Useless!

Hmmmmm.......... now you'll tell me you have a 5 door RAV! :P

Yes quite!!!! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links