Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1989 4runner Reliability

chris_01

I am looking at a 1989 4runner SR5 v6 with 5 speed manual transmission. It has 168,xxx miles on it, although a new radiator, clutch, and hubs have been installed. Additionally allscheduled maintenace has been done. What kind of reliability can i expect?

thanks,

chris

Hey Chris,

I don't know much about 4runners but my 85 Camry has 275,000 miles on it on the original engine and transmission. I would say if the 4runner is running well then go for it. Toyotas are very reliable in general.

I got that same truck but mines a Automatic, Its awesome. Toys are very reliable. all i have is a 2"body and 32" AT tires and i can go pretty much anywhere.

I got a '91 surf (same as 4runner) and its reliable alright. Only thing that might let you down in the cold weather is the rear electric window, it hates the cold

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris I just bought the same truck only with 188000 miles. I have a 97 Corolla CE and have never had a single problem with it. Only things I had done to it were regular maintence. Toyotas are great! I'll never buy anything except toyota ever again!

Rich

• 1 month later...

Mileage is completely irrelevant....IMO.

There are armies in this world who have overthrown several successive governments with the same fleets of 4runners!!!

Mine (which has NOT seen active duty) has 197,000 miles on it. I haven't noticed any reduction in power or performance since I bought it 5 years and 65,000 miles ago.

I've got an '84 4Runner with 251,634 miles and counting. Original transmission and transfer, different motor, and other than leaking a quart of oil a day and the rear power window switch not working, it runs pretty well for a quarter of a million miles on it. The only bad things about toyotas are that they are slow and they're japanese.

• 1 year later...

hi i have an 88 4runner and i have about 201,000 KM on i dunno what the conversion is and the engine runs awesome. we had some starter probems but it was super easy to fix. i would say go for it. i live in canada too and not in nice and warm vancouver or tornoto i live in oilers town edmonton. the truck runs great every year !