Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 Avensis 1.8 - Strong Sulphurous Smell

cakewalker

We've had our Avensis for about three months, it came with a fresh MoT and I had it serviced about two months ago, both didn't reveal any emissions problems so although the smell is from the catalyst (correct me if I'm wrong), the catalyst would appear to be working OK.

Is there anything I can do to limit the problem? I'm aware that this is a fairly common problem with a wide range of cars - my old Astra tended to smell eggy from time to time. With this car it's so strong it's downright embarrassing, though - stop the car at the top of a hill (typical driving scenario in Sheffield) and the cabin will fill with the smell. Is it likely to be down to me doing typically short journeys in the car? Incidentally, the car has done just over 100,000 miles.

Thanks!

We've had our Avensis for about three months, it came with a fresh MoT and I had it serviced about two months ago, both didn't reveal any emissions problems so although the smell is from the catalyst (correct me if I'm wrong), the catalyst would appear to be working OK.

Is there anything I can do to limit the problem? I'm aware that this is a fairly common problem with a wide range of cars - my old Astra tended to smell eggy from time to time. With this car it's so strong it's downright embarrassing, though - stop the car at the top of a hill (typical driving scenario in Sheffield) and the cabin will fill with the smell. Is it likely to be down to me doing typically short journeys in the car? Incidentally, the car has done just over 100,000 miles.

Thanks!

OUr 1999 1.6 was the same. Then the Lean burn sensor gave way. When it was replaced , the smell seemed to disappear with the old sensor. Mileage was about 125K so not too dissimilar to yours.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

OUr 1999 1.6 was the same. Then the Lean burn sensor gave way. When it was replaced , the smell seemed to disappear with the old sensor. Mileage was about 125K so not too dissimilar to yours.

Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Try Cleaning/replacing the air filter, my 53 d4d t-spirit did same thing, usually when stoped for short time while warm. Mr T advised to check air filter. Well to replace actually.

Instead I took it out, it's behind your glove box, gave it a good clean ( shook it, banged it, blew it, lol) popped i back in, and I've never had the problem again.

I had tried at first those air con cleaning can things, with no luck.

My car was on 106,000 ish, I'm now up to 112k and so overdue my service, so I'll get the filter changed then, this Fri actually.

But the smell stayed away, worth a try, it's free and easy.

Hope it works.

BenN

The lean burn sensor cost something like €320 so unless your engine management light is on like mine was, I'd be inclined to put up with the smell!! Also, I couldn't say it was the cause of it but since you're first post, I've been taking even more notice than usual and there doesn't seem to be any smell whatever. Before it was replaced, when you'd stop you could get the smell as you described.

Try Cleaning/replacing the air filter, my 53 d4d t-spirit did same thing, usually when stoped for short time while warm. Mr T advised to check air filter. Well to replace actually.

Instead I took it out, it's behind your glove box, gave it a good clean ( shook it, banged it, blew it, lol) popped i back in, and I've never had the problem again.

My car was on 106,000 ish, I'm now up to 112k and so overdue my service, so I'll get the filter changed then, this Fri actually.

Hope it works.

BenN

I think the smell that comes from the cabin filter, which you're referring to, is quite different. I know I had it on my 2003 1.8 (new type). As you said changing the pollen filter got rid and it hasn't come back.

Hope it works.

BenN

Sorry, should have made it clear that the smell is coming from outside the car - it typically makes the same smell when we park the car, and the smell is far stronger when we get out of the car. Though I agree, it is always worth keeping the cabin air filter clean.

The lean burn sensor cost something like €320 so unless your engine management light is on like mine was, I'd be inclined to put up with the smell!! Also, I couldn't say it was the cause of it but since you're first post, I've been taking even more notice than usual and there doesn't seem to be any smell whatever. Before it was replaced, when you'd stop you could get the smell as you described.

I think at that price it's going to be low on the wanted list (planning our wedding and refurbishing our flat at the moment so no chance *lol*). The engine warning light isn't on.

Am I right in thinking that the cause of the smell is petrol burning in the catalyst? The car tends to idle quite fast when cold (noticed someone else posting in the forum about this) and isn't quite as frugal as I'd hoped, though I don't remember the figure I worked out so it's possible I'm expecting too much of the car. I was just wondering if these were all related, though. I seem to remember reading that the catalyst can be damaged by being contaminated with petrol, so from that point of view we could possibly justify replacing the sensor (depends how much catalysts for these cars cost!).

I think at that price it's going to be low on the wanted list (planning our wedding and refurbishing our flat at the moment so no chance *lol*). The engine warning light isn't on.

Am I right in thinking that the cause of the smell is petrol burning in the catalyst? The car tends to idle quite fast when cold (noticed someone else posting in the forum about this) and isn't quite as frugal as I'd hoped, though I don't remember the figure I worked out so it's possible I'm expecting too much of the car. I was just wondering if these were all related, though. I seem to remember reading that the catalyst can be damaged by being contaminated with petrol, so from that point of view we could possibly justify replacing the sensor (depends how much catalysts for these cars cost!).

When i had a 1.8 gls Avensis i had this problem, it started more after 100k too. i can confirm that it is indeed the cat and they are well expensive, there is no real problem it's just that your cat had done a few miles (well thats what i got told anyway) so either put up or replace the cat. Insistently i always noticed the smell on hills too and i'm also from Sheffield, maybe it's a Sheffield thing :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links