Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting A Che Header

GIDDLEPIN

Here's the last thing I needed to fit after my co ck up with the sensor.

As usual the camera came out, unfortunately the focus ain't that good but you should get the picture.... :rolleyes:

Take one of these

WeekengbreakNovember2008072.jpg

Remove the O2 Sensors (Again)

FittingaCheHeader009.jpg

Remove the two bolts from the back

FittingaCheHeader011.jpg

Remove two from the top

FittingaCheHeader012.jpg

You are left with this

FittingaCheHeader015.jpg

From underneath (after removing the nappy) remove the three lower flange nuts.

Remove the two support bracket bolts

From above, Remove the five manifold nuts

Take out the old header and you are left with this

Che006.jpg

After removing the old manifold gasket and two crush gaskets, clean flange faces fit new gaskets, fit the header, new nuts supplied, FIT LOWER SUPPORT BRACKETS, tighten everything up, fit O2 sensors and heat shields (if desired).

Che010.jpg

The only problems I came across while doing this were a snapped bolt on the upper heat shield and a sheared stud in the lower flange, this didn't really matter as new studs/nuts were supplied and the new manifold has threaded brackets to take new bolts if the heat shields are refitted

The last thing I need to do is get an O2 sensor adapter for the after cat sensor, because of the sports cat I keep getting a P0420 code, this hopefully eliminates the problem.

All being well I am going on a rolling road day in December and it should show up what power gains have been achieved.

FINALLY.

After six years of regular use with two track days and recently a 3000 mile road trip to Corfu under its belt, I am happy to say that the old manifold with pre-cats is completely intact.

The tops I know were ok so here are pictures of the bottoms (blurred but you can see all is well)

Che002.jpg

Che004.jpg

Thanks, Les, for yet another excellent guide. Pleased all went OK - given one expects the odd stud/bolt to snap. After the past few weeks of nail-biting incidents you can now ENJOY your motoring - once again!!!

:cheers:

Dave

What's so revolutionary about a Che header?

( see what I did there?? )

Sorry...Went over my header there Rich :blink::lol:

I'm sure you know what it does anyway but for those who don't...............................Please let me know :wacko:

Kidding....

In my day :wheelchair: I used to know them as an "Extractor Manifold" (Had a three branch LCB on my Mini Cooper S engined Buggy) all they do is make for a smoother cleaner flow of exhaust gases from the engine, this can give an increase in performance, not always on top end speed though as the back pressure is compromised, I should know better on what (if any) power gains are achieved after the Dyno in December.

• 7 months later...

Hey Guys,

I am looking for someone with the technical know how / tools to undertake one of these + Install new Catback

Pref: Near Watford area

Regards,

Matt

I read somewhere (MR2ROC i think) where a guy fitted one of these and it cracked up and broke apart within a year? What sort of condition is this one in now?

And what did the dyno show? :)

I read somewhere (MR2ROC i think) where a guy fitted one of these and it cracked up and broke apart within a year? What sort of condition is this one in now?

And what did the dyno show? :)

I read that story too and the follow up action by Che which was one of the reasons I went for this ;)

Apart from discolouration and a bit of rust, all is well with the header and I would recommend it to anyone :thumbsup:

The dyno day fell through so I still don't have any results

Les

• 3 years later...

This post is GREAT, and makes me think that even I could handle replacing my precat/header with this. One question, and I know this is an old thread, but when I was looking at the CHE header for sale, the manufacturer says: *Note* If using with stock catpipe, some trimming/grinding on the pipe ends at the flange will be required. No modification needed if using CHE or PPE downpipes or cat pipes.

"Trimming and grinding" on the pipe doesn't sound like it'd be a great idea. Wondering if you had purchased that header, and if you had to do any special modifications to fit it. Didn't sound like it here from this post, other than what you listed. But, I'm completely new to this car and haven't done much work on cars in the past either.

Mine is a 2003 MR2 Spyder, and I'm looking to do this to avoid the precat issue these cars are plagued with!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links