Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Swapping Centurion Dvd899 Dvd Player

grayme

I've Googled for ages, searched the whole toyotaownersclub forum and been through ever topic in this section, but have failed to find a solution to my problem. :help:

We bought an 05 Corolla Verso T-Spirit, but it didn't have a remote control for the rear 'in seat screens' DVD player. We couldn't find one online, but saw an eBay auction for a brand new Centurion DVD899 which got us the remote and a spare DVD player (just in case) for less than the cost of a remote from the dealer.

Well, it looked the same (I got the model number from searching online), but the DVD unit is slightly different with different rear connectors and new remote didn't work with the existing player.

Instead I thought I would just switch the units over, but the old unit had a power connector for six wires, it used three, the red 'Acc', the black ground, and the yellow '+battery'. The new unit only had a two wire connector, + and -, with some odd wire converter to a round power source that was black and red. :crybaby:

Is anyone out there able to assist please? From reading around, the red one needs connecting so it will (only) work when the ignition is on, it wouldn't be a problem to be on without the ignition (or would it?), so can this be bypassed?

Thanks in advance. :blush:

If you can take a pic of what your describing would be a big help

If could be a number of thing, but if i can see it first, then i could tell what it is hopefully

Bing

:thumbsup:

Thanks, I've taken quite a few pics, I guess too many is better than not enough :D

This is the front of the old model:

w8wz6r.jpg

and here is the back power input with six pin female input (note how the audio/video cable inputs are on wires that come out of the unit):

14deluv.jpg

This is the male power connector from the car (only three of the six pins are used):

2pt6yiq.jpg

The three cables are as below, yellow = +BATTERY, red = ACC, black = GROUND:

et5vte.jpg

This is the new DVD player, the Centurion DVD899 (it does look kind of similar) :lol: :

2hmjays.jpg

Here's the problem at the back, only room for the two pin connector, + and -:

2jdg8j9.jpg

For completeness, this is the back of the new unit with the audio/video cable inputs in the back of the device:

v3n0vs.jpg

I have the male two pin connector which came with the odd connector from the circular power input to black - and red +, I can use this to connect two of the three car power wires, but I don't know which ones. :) If I could have power to the unit all the time (rather than just when the ignition is on, which I believe is the red ACC cable, then that would be fine). However, connecting up the yellow to + and black to - didn't work, red to + and black to - showed life in the DVD unit, but the screens didn't come on :unsure: .

I didn't want to risk any other combinations in case I was damaging something!

I always thought that red was live and hence - (and replaced black from older wiring), so I am well confused!

and here is the back power input with six pin female input (note how the audio/video cable inputs are on wires that come out of the unit):

14deluv.jpg

Although you can see 6 pins, not always all are used

This is the male power connector from the car (only three of the six pins are used):

2pt6yiq.jpg

The three cables are as below, yellow = +BATTERY, red = ACC, black = GROUND:

et5vte.jpg

This is the new DVD player, the Centurion DVD899 (it does look kind of similar) :lol: :

2hmjays.jpg

Here's the problem at the back, only room for the two pin connector, + and -:

2jdg8j9.jpg

That is the power point for the unit, you need to change it to fit your new unit, join the red & yellow cable together for the positive side, and the black cable will be your negative side.

For completeness, this is the back of the new unit with the audio/video cable inputs in the back of the device:

v3n0vs.jpg

I have the male two pin connector which came with the odd connector from the circular power input to black - and red +, I can use this to connect two of the three car power wires, but I don't know which ones. :) If I could have power to the unit all the time (rather than just when the ignition is on, which I believe is the red ACC cable, then that would be fine). However, connecting up the yellow to + and black to - didn't work, red to + and black to - showed life in the DVD unit, but the screens didn't come on :unsure: .

You almost got it, just don't let the live wire touch the negative, otherwise your looking for the fuse next

I didn't want to risk any other combinations in case I was damaging something!

I always thought that red was live and hence - (and replaced black from older wiring), so I am well confused!

Find my highlighted points in your topic, should help you make your unit work

Bing

That is the power point for the unit, you need to change it to fit your new unit, join the red & yellow cable together for the positive side, and the black cable will be your negative side.

Bing

Thanks Bing, I thought that was an option (connecting the black to either wasn't), but I didn't want to risk further damage without asking someone in the know.

I haven't tried it yet, to be honest I was waiting for a forum email to say there was a response but never got one, I just came on to see on the off chance!

I'll try to give it a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on. :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links