Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1996 2.0l Rav4 Not Starting. Just Ticking Loudly + Quickly.

kingmunky

Hi,

My Rav, as described in the title just wont start. It's been sitting on my driveway, SORN declared, for 2 months now.

All electrics are in order such as the demister, lights, fans, radio etc, but when I go to start the car the alternator will turn over for maybe half a second then stop. After this a small unit, which is to the RHS of the engine bay just ticks loudly and quickly (pics to follow if my description is cr@p).

I'm not mechanically minded and just want an idea of what the problem could be and what needs done to rectify it. Cheers.

I'll provide any other info required to get this sorted.

Thanks again.

Hi,

My Rav, as described in the title just wont start. It's been sitting on my driveway, SORN declared, for 2 months now.

All electrics are in order such as the demister, lights, fans, radio etc, but when I go to start the car the alternator will turn over for maybe half a second then stop. After this a small unit, which is to the RHS of the engine bay just ticks loudly and quickly (pics to follow if my description is cr@p).

I'm not mechanically minded and just want an idea of what the problem could be and what needs done to rectify it. Cheers.

I'll provide any other info required to get this sorted.

Thanks again.

Hi fella and welcome,

first thing I would do is charge the Battery then try again. It sounds as though the solenoid is not pushing the starter gear into mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel. A full Battery might well help. Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

Yes I agree. The same thing happened to me. Recharge the Battery and I think you will find that it will then start OK.

try with the headlights on. If they dim significantly then the Battery is definately low. Recharge it and you should be fine.

welcome to the forum kingmonkey.....

if you're in Glasgow - PM me and I take a look round this week if you don't get it going after charging the Battery - I'm sort of mobile again so can have a look.

If you are not sure what to do to charge Battery, give me a shout anyway - PM me by clicking me forum name and choose a personal message. I've got jump leads etc but its pretty sure its the Battery.