Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Sr Increase In Fuel Consummption

DSPUK

First I would like to say hello to everyone and to say this is quite a helpful forum which brings me to why I am here.

I have read 20 odd pages this morning looking for anyone with similar problem to mine but no luck so I will have to ask the question.

The wife has a 2000 X reg 1.3SR bought at 3 yrs old with 20k on clock and have to be honest it has been faultless - I just give it an Italian tune up occasionally and change oil and filter every 5k miles - However over the last few months I have noticed the fuel consumption is increasing - going from a easy 46-50mpg down to 40- 42 mpg -- My observations have conclude that this problem stems from first start up and a smell of petrol fumes something I have never noticed before - when warm and just filled up at garage I reset fuel computer readout to zero and give it a 50 mile run I can easily get 50 mpg -- start up next morning (cold) and do a 10 mile round trip and it's down to 48 - next day down to 46 and so on - this has never happened before so I know something is up -- I got local Autotune man round and he connected his gear up and found no fault codes (by way engine light has never been on ) - he started it from cold and no problem registered - he checked cold temp of engine to ambient temp - I watched the readouts and he pointed out the sensors work quite quick and all were in spec -- So has anyone any ideas -- checking full tank to full tank it now does 43mpg - not as much as it used to -- the tail pipe (TTi one) is clean and shiny so no sign's of running rich.

Sorry for the ramble but felt needed to give as much info as possible - Perhaps it's me being paranoid I don't know but I am off now to fill tank and check again.

Dave

I was interested to read this question. I have a Yaris SR May 2008. This last couple of weeks I have noticed a fuel consumption increase comparable to yours. I put it down to an increase in using lights, wipers, heater etc but, as you have monitored yours over summer and winter months, it's not the answer for you. I would be interested in hearing from others.

I was interested to read this question. I have a Yaris SR May 2008. This last couple of weeks I have noticed a fuel consumption increase comparable to yours. ]

I filled up yesterday and although it was only 176 miles since last time it worked out at 41 mpg - that is low but on this last check most of the mileage was shorter journeys so that could account for a drop. - someone asked if the petrol companies had started putting ethanol or something in our petrol - all this greeny rubbish - said that will reduce consumption but I don't know -- It's this petrol fumes smell I get on startup which makes me think it's over fueling until warm but as I said the Autotune man found nothing - - I will ring him again as he said if after checking consumption for a few fills and it's same ring me.

Must admit we are now thinking of changing car as it's 8 yrs old and after reading some of the posts this car has been pretty good to us but I suppose it can't last . - if I find anything I will post back

Dave

Re the petrol. My son says that we should fill up with premium petrol every now and again because it contains something which cleans through the system. (Even half a tank would do.) I think I might try that next time. Don't give up on the "old girl" yet. We've had 10 and 12 year old Toyotas going round the clock and still getting reasonable MPG. Granted they were Corollas but hopefully the Yaris is as good.

Re the petrol. My son says that we should fill up with premium petrol every now and again because it contains something which cleans through the system.]

I used to put Super unleaded in my Mazda and i would swear it went better - more mpg but at 22-24 to gallon it wasn't economical -- SWMBO has filled up at Morrisons for years without a problem until recently.

My Mazda is Xedos 9 Miller -- 2.3 supercharged -- very nice but you need deep pockets.

Dave

<My Mazda is Xedos 9 Miller -- 2.3 supercharged -- very nice but you need deep pockets.>

A very nice car Dave. But, as you say, expensive to run in the present economic climate. Come to think of it, my son's car - an Audi S5 coupe- is pretty thisty too so I expect he's used to putting his hand in his pocket for super unleaded.

If you do give up on your "old girl" what will you go for?

<My Mazda is Xedos 9 Miller -- 2.3 supercharged -- very nice but you need deep pockets.>

If you do give up on your "old girl" what will you go for?

If you mean Yaris I have been looking at another Mazda but a mazda3 - we need something bigger for both of us because Xedos only has a stay of execution as long as it runs - passed MOT last month so in theory another year - these cars are too complex for any sort of maintenance - It took me 2 hrs to change plugs - front three took 10 min of that - the rest was taken up with spanner work on rear three and learning new French words.

Dave

< looking at another Mazda but a mazda3>

Sounds like a good time to move into another era with a Mazda3. Have to admit to not knowing which end of a wrench is up so I bow to your knowledge on the car maintenance side. As for learning new French words, I work with 11-18 year olds so am constantly updating my vocabulary.

Good luck with your next purchase. :D

Smell of petrol?

Something wrong.

Fuel leak: split pipes , overfuelling, faulty injector , air filter blocked?

Check air filter first.. may be blocked or dirty or leaves in housing.

Interesting, as I have a 2005 Yaris and all the consumption ever seems to be is 40. something MPG!

I have put some of Tesco 99 Ron petrol in, as I find that does give me more miles....approx 40 at least, I know some people on here think it's a myth but I don't as I have constantly checked the mileage amounts - I use the odometer feature on the dash. Have done 70 miles and the first segment has gone down & she hasnt had this 99 ron for a while either.

The consumption did use to be higher......but then I also wonder that seeing as I have an MR2, which is my non sensible car that I put my foot down in quite a lot that maybe my style of driving in the Yaris has got harsher?

First I would like to say hello to everyone and to say this is quite a helpful forum which brings me to why I am here.

I have read 20 odd pages this morning looking for anyone with similar problem to mine but no luck so I will have to ask the question.

The wife has a 2000 X reg 1.3SR bought at 3 yrs old with 20k on clock and have to be honest it has been faultless - I just give it an Italian tune up occasionally and change oil and filter every 5k miles - However over the last few months I have noticed the fuel consumption is increasing - going from a easy 46-50mpg down to 40- 42 mpg -- My observations have conclude that this problem stems from first start up and a smell of petrol fumes something I have never noticed before - when warm and just filled up at garage I reset fuel computer readout to zero and give it a 50 mile run I can easily get 50 mpg -- start up next morning (cold) and do a 10 mile round trip and it's down to 48 - next day down to 46 and so on - this has never happened before so I know something is up -- I got local Autotune man round and he connected his gear up and found no fault codes (by way engine light has never been on ) - he started it from cold and no problem registered - he checked cold temp of engine to ambient temp - I watched the readouts and he pointed out the sensors work quite quick and all were in spec -- So has anyone any ideas -- checking full tank to full tank it now does 43mpg - not as much as it used to -- the tail pipe (TTi one) is clean and shiny so no sign's of running rich.

Sorry for the ramble but felt needed to give as much info as possible - Perhaps it's me being paranoid I don't know but I am off now to fill tank and check again.

Dave

I've got a 2008 TR ( 1.3 ) . It has only done 3,800 miles but to date I've been pleased with the fuel consumption. On a combined cycle it has never dropped under 50m.p.g. ( usually aroun 51-52 ) and using just locally it has never dropped below 47m.p.g.

Hey gents!!!

I have a Yaris SR (1.3) I bought in March 08 brand new so got all the fancy sat nav and lowered suspension and stuff and when I first had the car I was averaging about 32-36 mpg but this was probably due to my heavy foot. now I am a fair bit lighter on the pedal and I still struggle to keep it over 38mpg even though between the Asda I fill my car up at and my home I can get 46-50mpg on the short 2mile trip. Even on duel carriage ways doing 50-60mph it seems to drop to around 42pmg, sometimes lower and ends up around 36-38mpg by the time I fill up again after about 180miles.

The best bit is, i can do 220 miles on the motorway on just about 2/3 of a tank and still my mpg is no higher than 42mpg. Doesn't seem to add up to me.

Also, has anyone with the built in sat nav had any issues with it cos I'm only now getting mine sorted and working again. Its been back to Toyota 5 times since noticed the problem about 3 - 4 months ago and they have replaced the SD card (which also included a new, updated set of maps which was nice and it was a 2GB card instead of a 1GB card), they have given me 3 different TomTom units to try and their latest efforts included replacing the whole head unit where the TomTom docks with the car (apparently a very expensive part that they wanted to change only as a last resort)...still this did not fix the problem. As all the hardware had now been changed I asked if they copied my settings etc across to the new TomTom device each time and they were...this is where the problem was. Having deleted all the downloaded data I was using, i.e. voices, startup and shut down images and car symbols, and re-added them one by one, it appears as though the error was with a voice I was using. So Toyota had gone through all the expense of replaceing parts at my inconvenience and I eventually solved the problem myself...how annoying is that?

If anyone has a problem or has had a problem with their TomTom Toyota I would be interested to hear your stories and how you or Toyota were able to resolve the problem.

Sorry if I got a bit off topic but got carried away when typing. lol.

Madasafish

I think there is something wrong but can't find anything - no petrol leaks that can be seen only fume smell on startup from cold - OK when warm or hot - air filter has been changed - oil -plugs - wiring plugs that can be seen have been cleaned - Diagnostic shows no faults or fault codes -- been out today and coaxed it up from 42.5 to 43.5 -- sort of trips like this in past and I could have got it up to 49-50 quite easily -- as said - once hot and reset computer I can keep it at 49/50 mpg reading all day - as soon as I do a cold start the reading starts dropping by 2mpg per cold start till it settles at around 41 - so yes I think it's over fueling on startup but "Why?" - I really need it to throw up a fault code.

Dave

Hey gents!!!

Also, has anyone with the built in sat nav had any issues with it...]

It took Toyota 3months to organise the replacement card for my sat nav and appears to be ok except that I'm not very impressed with this version of TomTom. I find it's not as user friendly as my portable Garmin (Which I always carry on board because I don't trust the TomTom won't break down!). I once accidently set it off and then couldn't stop John Cleese rabbiting all the way to work - how do you stop it without removing it or pressing the screen several times in a coded order? I was listening to my MP3 player at the time which needs the sat nav in place to opperate. (Getting an MP3 player to work in the first place was another story.) I also had to take it to Toyota because it "ate" a CD of mine. I know I put one in but it wouldn't play so I tried to eject it. It wouldn't eject. However, others play ok in it. Toyota said they took the whole unit apart and there was nothing in the unit at all - so where is it? They probably think I'm just some mad woman, especially when asked which CD it was I replied 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' (A recording of the radio program of the same name!) I know I'm moaning on a bit but I really love the car it's just that the whole sat nav/in-car entertainment area really lets it down.

PS. I'm not a gent, I'm a lady (although not in the posh sense of the word).

I drove to and from Hertfordshire yesterday & the most I got it upto was 44mpg but that took a lot of work!

That was driving gently, maximum of 75mph (when overtaking) otherwise a steady constant 70 mph...

• 2 weeks later...

The problem has been sorted - it was an expensive fix but I am pleased with the result.

The wife went out and bought a new Mazda 2 1.5 Sport with every goodie on it except leather and heated seats which are not on offer.

So the Yaris has been sold - been fault free for eight years - I changed oil and filter every 6k miles - 15 min job but worth it in my opinion - oil is always clean and car runs well - started every time first time - no smoke or oil loss - I replaced discs and pads at about 50k (80k now) brakes are fantastic for small car - but it's just one noisy car.

Dave