Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starting Problem

billsinc

A wee problem.

After leaving my Avensis for a short period of time. probably in the area of 5 minutes to an hour, on occasions when I return and put my key in the ignition it will not start.

All the relevant lights on the dash board illuminate, but when turning the key further theres is nothing from the engine. Sometimes it will start and a second attempt right away. Sometimes it takes a few minutes and a few attempts. :wacko:

Anybody go any ideas?

If it cranks but doesnt fire then it could be flooding.

If it doesnt crank then it could be an immobiliser problem.

Yeah, give us a clue if you can. Does the starter motor turn or does nowt happen at all? It helps to examine what should be happening and when.

There is nothing at all, no crank, no solenoid click. It's almost like a completely dead Battery or no connection, othre than the fact that all the dash board lights come on. :wacko:

It could be something as simple as the starter solenoid connection being dirty (had the same prob on my other car)

I know you shouldn't really with a Cat, but have you push started it yet? This will prove that the fault lies only with the starter circuit. Another thing is get a Volt meter, and check for some at the starter motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Another little twist in this one. Occasionally if I keep the key turnedfor a few seconds, it's dead then suddenly starts? <_< :crybaby:

I am confused.

I guess what you are tellingme Tarcel, is that I need to change the contacts inside the starter motor?

Where do I buy them?

While it may be the starter, I have seen the ignition where the key goes in cause such problems.

The key is not setting the tumblers or the wiring may not be completing the circut when the key is turned.

Power goes from the Battery to the key switch, when the key is fully turned, it should complete the circuit. And power come back down another leg completing the power to the starter motor.

Get a tester and the next time it's not starting, see if power is getting to the starter. If no power is reaching the start, then it would have to be the key switch.

I can't tell you in your car which wire completes the circuit back to the starter.

i had this same problem the solution is ignition itself behind the barrell for the key there is a plastic unit for making contacts that was broken it was a comon problem on 98 1.6 and may be your solution cheep as chips for 50 quid

i had this same problem the solution is ignition itself behind the barrell for the key there is a plastic unit for making contacts that was broken it was a comon problem on 98 1.6 and may be your solution cheep as chips for 50 quid

How do you fix it?

I'd check all your engine earths and then the main 30 and 60A fuses.

sounds like an immobiliser problem to me .. the key has a transponder built in to allow starting when the key is near the lock.. if this is playing up then it'll give you the fault youre describing.. this is far easier to check than ripping your starter out.

The ignition barrel contacts thing was a major problem on certain older toyotas, but i think theyve now fixed it... it may be that, but i'd got for the immobiliser first.

• 3 weeks later...

your problem to me sounds like the ignition switch on the end of the barrel easiest way to take column panel down and has turned to start position hold switch to opposite direction and should start

Got to the bottom of it yesterday, well at least the Toyota Dealer did. And Nick you are spot on, but it cost me £112.

• 1 year later...
Got to the bottom of it yesterday, well at least the Toyota Dealer did. And Nick you are spot on, but it cost me £112.

:crybaby:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just had this exact problem with my 2001 Avensis, however the garage (not a Toyota dealer) had already put in a new starter motor to fix it (£222), which changed nothing, before calling in an auto electrition and then replaceing the switch (another £110) which did. They told me that starter motor would have had to have been replaced anyway as the broken ignition switch had casued the starter motor to overrun and burn it out (although it didn't seem to have any trouble consistantly starting the car within a second or so just prior to me taking it in). I've not really questioned the starter motor replacement but it seems odd (even to my very limiited knowledge of the 'ways of the engine'). Is there any chance at all that this faulty switch problem could really cause the starter motor to burn out?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links