Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Connecting Sub To A Vvti

dave_pfc

I have am purchasing a 2003 Celica VVTI on Saturday after owning a 1995 Celica ST. In the old Celica I had a Stereo/DVD player installed which was also hooked up to a sub. I am considering selling the stereo/DVD player and just hooking my sub up to the standard factory stereo system in the new Celica. Can anyone tell me if this is possible, i.e will there be the necessary outputs on the back of a standard Celica stereo and will it support a 2000watt sub?

Thank you

Dave

Hi,

If you have the same Sony double din headunit I have (2001 pre-face lift model) then the headunit has 2 pairs of pre-outs on the back - front and rear - you could use one of those for your sub

Hope this helps

Neil

Thats great, thank you. I have no idea what my stereo unit is but will investigate Saturday. So its just a case of plugging both parts into 'front' and 'back'?

In the boot. Its a powered sub. I also want to see if I can connect my ipod to it but havnt seen the rear of the stereo unit yet. I'm hoping the dismantling of the stereo from the dashboard isnt to difficult. My old celica I didnt mind yanking things out but I want to keep the new one in good condition hence keeping the factory stereo.

Cheers

I installed mine in the boot as well, used the rear pre-outs for the sub, and the amp to low-pas filter or something like that, getting to the back of the headunit wasn't too difficult, there are loads of guides on this forum with useful pics on how to remove it.

I found sending a power cable going from the Battery to the boot the hardest thing to do, there was probably an easier way of doing it, but i didn't find out.

Thanks for the info. I found some guidance on taking the head unit/stereo off. So I need some form low pass filter to convert sub wires to the stereo. Do you know how I can connect an ipod to the stereo? My old stereo has separate aux outputs but doubt new one does.

Cheers

Sorry, I don't think you can with the sony head unit, although i've not really investigated it, but if you find a way, let me know

Hi, just went to Halfords and they didn't seem to know a great deal. They said if my stereo has an amp it wont be possible and even if it does I will have to sacrifice the rear Speakers. They said its not possible to connect an ipod to factory stereo. I desperately want to keep my current stereo in so I don't ruin the car early on. I think I need an idiots guide to connecting it up

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, just went to Halfords and they didn't seem to know a great deal. They said if my stereo has an amp it wont be possible and even if it does I will have to sacrifice the rear speakers. They said its not possible to connect an ipod to factory stereo. I desperately want to keep my current stereo in so I don't ruin the car early on. I think I need an idiots guide to connecting it up

Not sure what your exact setup is but there is a way to run ipod on your Sony headunit and have a sub.

I used a Infinity Basslink Sub/amp unit. Its reasonably powerful and can be installed onto the side of the boot area. Its an all in one unit so don't need to worry about the amp on the headunit, which can then drive the main Speakers instead.

For ipod, you need a Iconnect device:

http://www.connects2.com/

They make adaptors for multichangers and Ipods (on the same concept). I installed a multichanger in my sisters Yaris (with standard headunit) using one of their adaptors, which from standard apparently is not possible (Halfords know very little!). It will use the autochanger plug on the back of your Sony headunit to connect to the iPod. I don't believe you can control the iPod via the headunit but you can certainly play music.

You'll need the Sony iconnect adaptor rather than the Toyota version. The Toyota version will be specifically for the headunit on the facelift models.

http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=35

Non text version I think?

Sarfraz