Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Using Clock Display As Air Temp

Hoovie

Fitted a replacement head unit in the RAV4 and one downside of that is I have lost the Outside Temperature display.

As the new head unit has a clock in the display, been thinking of reusing the clock display in the RAV4.2 dash for temp - ideally using the same LCD/LED display unit somehow but more likely need to fit a new display in its place - anyone done something similar and could point to a parts source?

The kind of displays in themometers in places like Maplins tend to have very large displays and would not be suitable even when stripped down :g:

Fitted a replacement head unit in the RAV4 and one downside of that is I have lost the Outside Temperature display.

As the new head unit has a clock in the display, been thinking of reusing the clock display in the RAV4.2 dash for temp - ideally using the same LCD/LED display unit somehow but more likely need to fit a new display in its place - anyone done something similar and could point to a parts source?

The kind of displays in themometers in places like Maplins tend to have very large displays and would not be suitable even when stripped down :g:

Open a window Hoovie...If it's cold outside your get a cold head...if warm your get a sun burnt head...If your heads wet then it's either raining or snowing.... :D :D :D :D :D :D or use the Irish weather stone tied to your wing mirror.....

Simple really......

Cheers mate :)

I need the thermometer so when the wifey turns the heating to max cold and I am cracking icicles off my ears I can point and say "Look - it isn't 30 Celcuis in here after all" :rolleyes:

Thank god for the heat seaters :eek:

Being that the 4.3 has the temp/trip computer stuff in the speedo binnacle, this could be the ultimate

pimp for Hoovie. FIT A 4.3 DASH TO A 4.2 :thumbsup:

If you know how to program a micro controller, then you could make your own clock/temp gauge. It's a quite complicated thing to do, so unless you are an electronics engineer, I won't recommend it.

Anyway, if you decide to do it yourself, I have already calculated the thermistor values :)

Shame - I could have helped but have just donated a large alarm clock with 'ears' to the charity shop - sorry!

If you know how to program a micro controller, then you could make your own clock/temp gauge. It's a quite complicated thing to do, so unless you are an electronics engineer, I won't recommend it.

Anyway, if you decide to do it yourself, I have already calculated the thermistor values :)

Hmmm - maybe I should have a go (I used to be 20 odd years ago)

I will also check out RS Components. Thanks Bothy - I forgot about them!

"Hmmm - maybe I should have a go (I used to be 20 odd years ago)"

well - you're dangerously close to the time when I did programming - but the input method was punch cards!!!! I still remember carrying trays of cards when I was doing some research/programme building!! Och - that wis ony 36 years ago :nerd: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

The punch cards were before my time, thankfully! The input method I started off with was with a bank of 16 toggle switches on the Pr1me writing diagnostic noddies and probing the boards with a 'scope to find the faulty chip.

All CISC stuff and 7400 Series TTL back then :D

Hoovie

I hadn't thought about using the clock display, but had considered where I could mount a suitable alternative display - have a look at this module on the RS website (or www.cpc.co.uk as well)

Lascar EMT 1900 rs stock code:365-6268

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchB...=3656268#header

It uses a 5.5mm single hole to mount - you could use a spare blanking plate from a switch position to mount this module (only 5.5mm thick) - it needs a NTC 10k thermistor - I'm not sure if the standard one in the RAV is correct or not. St Thicket may be able to advise... RS have a complete data sheet on both the above module and the thermistors, even listing all the resistance values from -40 °C to +105 °C.

CPC (farnell) also do the same module for about the same price.

I am thinking not neccessarily using the actual display (though doing so would be a real bonus), but using that display position.

That looks a possibility. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

I have cheap £2ish inside/outside themometer on my desk (used to monitor PC internals) which I can play around with using the car signal, I guess :)

Try super-gluing a child to the bonnet. If they sweat it's hot. If they shiver it's cold. Give then a crash hat and booster seat though or you could be done.

Don't put then in your field of vision though cos that could be an MOT failure

Try super-gluing a child to the bonnet. If they sweat it's hot. If they shiver it's cold. Give then a crash hat and booster seat though or you could be done.

Bodgit.....Your fitting right in on the RAV forum with comments like this.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that is a plan! but I have an enhancement linking to an earlier thread ...... :g:

Go for twins and stick one on the rear door :yes:

No need for reversing sensors or cameras - the louder the screaming, the closer you are getting to the obstacle behind :thumbsup:

And while we're at it, let's put a kitten under the bonnet... to add purr effects!

And while we're at it, let's put a kitten under the bonnet... to add purr effects!
AS the two above posts are cruel to children + kittens :lol: I suggest super-gluing a can of carling lager on the bonnet, apparently there is a lion on the can and when it turns blue it tells you that your lager is cold enough to drink, so you do in effect get a free ice warning device :thumbsup:

AS the two above posts are cruel to children + kittens :lol: I suggest super-gluing a can of carling lager on the bonnet, apparently there is a lion on the can and when it turns blue it tells you that your lager is cold enough to drink, so you do in effect get a free ice warning device :thumbsup:

There is bottle of vodka made in Shetland I think where it has a red viking ship imprinted on the bottle....that turns blue when chilled to perfection........then again you can't drink and drive! Passengers could?

I was in a Corsa last week and it had a guage showing -3C. I knew that of course having slid on the black ice! :lol:

I was in a Corsa last week and it had a guage showing -3C. I knew that of course having slid on the black ice! :lol:

I went driving in the mountains this weekend. The temperature gauge in my rav was removed due to stereo improvement, but my snot was freezing and my moustache got stiff from my runny nose, so I suspect it was less than -10*C... Had a few slides in some tight corners though, but that's just ordinary when driving in the mountains :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links