Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Standard Turbos

Daron

I bought my Turbo Mr2 on a K plate, and my mate has his on a J plate. He has told me by looking at the engine that his turbo is bigger because it has some numbers on it that mine doesn't something like T22?

Is this correct?

and one is in the rev1/2 cars (up to about '94) and then the other is in the Rev3+'s ..

Both your turbo's should be the same .. T22 is after market ..

A T88 is a masive Greddy .. maybe a T22 is a tiny one ..

10-4 buddy, ill have to get me torch out and start prodding stuff for numbers

I assume the only place to find this out is on the turbo itself

yup .. stand on the passenger side and look at the turbo - it's then obvious ..

Hmmmm...Iv'e never heard of a T22 turbo?? CT26 from 1989-10/1993 the CT20B from then upwards. I'd be intrested to know what it is though.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

There isn't a T22 turbo, there is a T2 which can be found on Renault 5 Turbos, a T25 which can be found on Fiesta Turbos, and the more common T28 which is used on Skyline GTR's, Pulsar GTi-R's etc.

The T28 does have a larger compressor wheel than a CT-26, however the exhaust side is even more restrictive so it wouldn't make a good swap. Also being a single entry turbo you would reach 15psi by around 3800rpm.

Out of interest a T88 wouldn't spool on an MR2 until around 6500 - 6800rpm.

Toyota CT-26 and CT-20b turbos will fit both early and late cars, so if you are on a budget a used CT-20b in good condition would make a nice mild upgrade for anyone with a Rev.1 or Rev.2 car. Remember the extra power isn't coming from the larger compressor, it's because the turbine can flow better on the CT-20b.