Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Dealer Trying To Rip Me Off?

view9234

I have a very-well maintained 2006 Camry SE with 23,000 miles. I have had the oil changed and tires rotated every 4k miles.

I just dropped my car off the other day to have the oil changed & tires rotated and was told I need new front AND rear brakes, as they claimed I had less than 10% remaining. I was also told I needed a new air filter and 4-wheel alignment.

I thought air filters have to be changed every 30-50k miles, so while I think that's on the low-end, I'm ok with that (since I live in a city). The brakes and alignment are another thing. Like I said, I treat my car very well. While I admit I'm a novice when it comes to car maintenance, I always thought alignment was one of those b.s. dealer add-ons that's only really required when the steering wheel pulls to one side.

And as for the brakes, I have to admit that I'm pretty upset. Shouldn't brakes last 45k miles or MORE? Again, I know I do more city driving than most, but (taking the dealership at their word) how could I have gone through 90% of my brakes in 23,000 miles?!? It makes me think something was wrong with them to begin with...etc. And they want $295 for front & rear brakes ($590 total), which I strongly think they or Toyota should be covering since I think there MUST be something wrong with my car....right?

If anyone with experience and/or expertise could respond, I'd be grateful. Thanks guys!!! :D

Just a thought.

A lot would depend on your driving & braking technique. If you see the need to slow or stop coming up & slow down through the gears with foot off the accelerator your brakes will last longer than if you brake hard at the last minute on a constant basis.

Have you had many cars previously, & what sort of mileage did you get from them before encountering this :D

Just a thought.

A lot would depend on your driving & braking technique. If you see the need to slow or stop coming up & slow down through the gears with foot off the accelerator your brakes will last longer than if you brake hard at the last minute on a constant basis.

Have you had many cars previously, & what sort of mileage did you get from them before encountering this :D

I do use my brakes pretty aggressively, mostly from from city driving. My last vehicle was an Audi A6, and I think I got 55.000 miles before needing new brakes.

I guess my biggest question is this: What is the average life cycle of '06 Camry brakes? Has any user had to change their Camry brakes in intervals of under 30k miles? As I said, I could be way off...but I thought these brakes (even with heavy use) should last 35k minimum.

Thanks for your help!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links