Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Snow And Ice

G7PCQ

I think that by now some or most of you who live outside the London area have encountered hazzardous conditions.

Can ypu please let us know if the traction control caused any problems

thanks

There are many threads about the traction control, I personally think it is a trait of the Prius but can be eased by different tyres. Please see my thread marked "tyres".

Stompe

:thumbsup:

Thanks Stompe. Yes I read your thread on Tyres but I do not feel that that is the answer. Surely Mr T should admit to the fault and come up with a way of switching the system off when the conditions are inapropriate. I am an ex LGV driver (retired) and all the vehicles with traction control had a on/off switch and in all cases, a differental lock switch.

By the way how are you finding the new tyres ???

switching the system off when the conditions are inapropriate.

I am replying in some trepidation as I may get flamed - I tend to be out of synch with most people's thinking on all things car - which is why I have a Prius !

But surely Traction control only tries to do anything at all if you over egg the right foot ? So what is the good of switching it off ? There is no compulsion to floor the right pedal just because there is TC ? Surely the Prius smooth delivery of torque is just what is needed for slippery conditions - but I have yet to try this for myself (will soon looking at forecast so I will report back).

switching the system off when the conditions are inapropriate.

I am replying in some trepidation as I may get flamed - I tend to be out of synch with most people's thinking on all things car - which is why I have a Prius !

But surely Traction control only tries to do anything at all if you over egg the right foot ? So what is the good of switching it off ? There is no compulsion to floor the right pedal just because there is TC ? Surely the Prius smooth delivery of torque is just what is needed for slippery conditions - but I have yet to try this for myself (will soon looking at forecast so I will report back).

A nicely reasoned questioning post - I can't personally see any reason why you would fear be flamed.

I wouldn't normally post links to other forums but Bestmapman in post #4 of the following thread describes his Prius traction control observations really well when driving in snow.

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-technica...ed-i-think.html

So what is the good of switching it off ?
There are situations where it is so slippery the traction control will not allow any power to the wheels at all. These are usually when the car is moving off from completely stopped (e.g. at a junction, traffic lights, entrance to a roundabout) in icy conditions. In these situations turning off the traction control off allows some wheel spin and a small amount of motion (rocking the car) to help it find some purchase on the road.

Janian (wrinkly )Scotland

New Boy to this wonderfull site. Hi!

First Prius T Spirit August 08.

Kirkstone pass on tuesday slushy/icy

traction worked extremely well both up and back.

Along with B mode on downward journey.

as with previous twenty cars all have some problems.

Prius _ Unheated side mirrors worst in my opinion.

Keep talking.

There are situations where it is so slippery the traction control will not allow any power to the wheels at all.

How does the TC know it is slippery if it won't allow any traction at all ? I really find this hard to believe and wheel spin is never the best way to get smooth motion in slippery conditions. (Static friction is always > dynamic ?) I suppose, if the conditions were SO slippery that the wheels spun even with the slight "edge forward" torque in D with no accelerator applied at all, then maybe - but the car would be unstoppable as well in such a case (ABS can't work with negligible friction either.)

The complaints about Prius TC seem to centre more on potholes encountered when accelerating fast. I have experienced this in other cars - and once in my Prius- it can be disconcerting but I think the loss of power is much shorter than it seems.

Sadly, most of us don't know the limits of what a car should be able to do. There is a certain mindset that believes their cars can go anywhere in any weather conditions, they must believe they own a snow cat with catepillar tracks instead of tyres, or amphibious assault craft given the way that some people attack flooded roads!

Sadly, most of us don't know the limits of what a car should be able to do...

Nicely put !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links