Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cup Holder Adapter's For 4.3

dave.m

Ok, as a follow up to Rob's post about the useless cupholders on the 4.3, I thought I would have a little play about

with this one. To be honest, there's not much you can do about it unless you can get your hands on some foam stuff

or foam cup insulators.

100_0763.jpg

Anyway, thought I would try machining something, but with the variation in shapes / sizes of drinks containers

it needed a bit of thought. So heres what I came up with -

100_0771.jpg

100_0764.jpg

I decided to make it fit a Costa size coffee cup, but because the bore is tapered, it gives enough grip to also hold a

square type 1/2 litre Volvic bottle and a standard can.

100_0766.jpg

100_0767.jpg100_0768.jpg

The stuff its made from is a Nylon / delrin type stuff but I suppose you could use anything. Now you will notice there is

only one. Thats because at work I could not find enough material to make a pair :wacko: Now I realise not everyone

has access to computerised CNC Lathes, but I thought maybe some of you wood turners on here might like to give it

a go. So I will make up a sketch and upload it when I get a chance :thumbsup:

You know what.... :drool:

THAT MIGHT JUST DO THE JOB :toast::toast::yahoo:

Now I've got to figure out how to make sommet like that without a lathe.... :crybaby:

Regards

Rob

B)

Rob, that material I used was excess from a job, if we get some more some time I'll get you a couple turned up :thumbsup:

Interestingly or coincidentally :wacko: whatever I just spotted this resurrected thread on Rav4 World.

http://rav4world.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3136

It seems that not only are Toyota well aware of the problem, but have a fix for it as well :eek:

Maybe we should be asking Kingo about the great cup holder cover up :lol:

Rob, that material I used was excess from a job, if we get some more some time I'll get you a couple turned up :thumbsup:

It seems that not only are Toyota well aware of the problem, but have a fix for it as well :eek:

Maybe we should be asking Kingo about the great cup holder cover up :lol:

That/those are brilliant Dave :toast: i am sure i could turn something similar in wood although hand turning them it would be difficult to get the taper accurate and they would have to be a snug fit in the cup holders so as not to rattle, if i get the time / inclination i will give it a go, Well done Dave :thumbsup:

Dave what's that funny can drink in the last photo :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Must admit the one's in the 4.2 RAV do have that movable ratchet spacer...Good for all sizes of cups cans and bottles.....However once any bottle in them is almost empty...they wobble around then fall out....often into the drivers footwell :angry::help::huh: :huh:

Come to think of it.... :g:

Could we not confront MR T cust services and flag this up as a safety issue???? :unsure:

I have had bottles fall onto the drivers side floor and if this were to happen in an emergency situation it could happen that the cup/bottle could get under the break peddal ??? :angry:

What do you fine Ravvers think, do we have a fighting chance here??? :ph34r::boxing::ph34r:

Regards

Rob

B)

Dave what's that funny can drink in the last photo :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Its a well known Scottish hangover cure :thumbsup:

Ok heres the sketch-

dmcl.jpg

Stewart, if your having a go and worried about the tapers, you need the internal one but not the external one.

Instead leave it parallel with a head at the top. Ie, 85 MM dia X 50 MM long then 95.5 MM Dia for the last 10 MM.

Nice CAD drawing Dave..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here's one I've been working on in Revit Architecture not Car related...but I have to design the carpark soon so sort of is... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

revit2008_BH_001.jpg

Stewart, if your having a go and worried about the tapers, you need the internal one but not the external one.

Instead leave it parallel with a head at the top. Ie, 85 MM dia X 50 MM long then 95.5 MM Dia for the last 10 MM.

Well Dave gave it a shot thanks for the drawing, had to diversify a little but quite pleased with result, wood used, bit of cherry from next doors tree + something called london plain for the top, took me 2 1/2 hrs :D so not a commercial viability.. some boring pics to follow :unsure:

cupholder059-1.jpg

cupholder061.jpg

cupholder063.jpg

cupholder064.jpg

cupholder065.jpg

cupholder070.jpg

cupholder067.jpg

cupholder068.jpg

cupholder069.jpg

Hey Stew, forget Cad, CNC, Computer controlled stuff. Thats a REAL piece of craftsmanship.

Brilliant :thumbsup:

Nice work Stewpot

Do you think you could make a wooden steering wheel with flat bottom (the wheel not you)?

By the way thx 4 the txts! I see you were on earlies today. I am on lates!!!

Yeah some nice bits of turning there Dave and Stew. :thumbsup:

Stew - with all that woodworking, just wondering if we are going to see a nice polished mahogany replacement dash for the RAV next? :unsure::lol:

Stew - with all that woodworking, just wondering if we are going to see a nice polished mahogany replacement dash for the RAV next? :unsure::lol:

Thanks for your very kind comments, I have not really done any woodturning for a couple of years, and was only ever average at best, it is a very relaxing hobby though + something you can pick up very easily, i especially enjoyed making apples + mushrooms as you cannot really go wrong, a pic of a handful of things i turned not long after i started..

IMG_0754.jpg

Thanks for your very kind comments, I have not really done any woodturning for a couple of years, and was only ever average at best, it is a very relaxing hobby though + something you can pick up very easily, i especially enjoyed making apples + mushrooms as you cannot really go wrong, a pic of a handful of things i turned not long after i started..

IMG_0754.jpg

Stew, your selling yourself short here mate, I'm well impressed with the stuff you've made, that takes a bit of skill :thumbsup:

Stew, your selling yourself short here mate, I'm well impressed with the stuff you've made, that takes a bit of skill :thumbsup:

Seconded :yes: I would not know where to start to do something like that

Seconded :yes: I would not know where to start to do something like that

For sure. While having the right tools for the job is IMHO half the battle, still needs a fair bit of talent mate and the stuff looks very good from here :thumbsup:

I'm well impressed, those apples look a treat, and the bowl has a beautiful grain in the woodwork

The two mushrooms to the left look like something I saw in your "Gentlemans" magazine Stew ;) :D: :D: :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm well impressed, those apples look a treat, and the bowl has a beautiful grain in the woodwork

The two mushrooms to the left look like something I saw in your "Gentlemans" magazine Stew ;) :D: :D: :D:

Kingo :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that Kingo, I had a very very broad minded young air-hostess living next door, and as a joke i turned her an extremely large "object" and sprayed it black, she thought it was brilliant + asked for 3 more for her mates, one of which was later raffled at a (ladies) evening + raised £25 for a charity.. :rolleyes:

Stew - seriously impressive wood turning, well done. I'd love to pick it up (last did it at school, and really enjoyed it)

I had a very very broad minded young air-hostess living next door, and as a joke i turned her an extremely large "object" and sprayed it black, she thought it was brilliant + asked for 3 more for her mates, one of which was later raffled at a (ladies) evening + raised £25 for a charity.. :rolleyes:

Super story, too!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, done a bit more ferreting around with this one and came up with this (courtesy of Rav4 World) -

http://drinkdocker.com/

I was very impressed with the reviews given by members on R4W, so thought I would give it a go and ordered

a couple from the US. I went for the large ones at $9.99 each plus shipping. I am very impressed with these,

they look very smart, work a treat and can be cleaned if they collect spillages / condensation etc. Defo 10/10 :thumbsup:

100_0776.jpg

100_0775.jpg

100_0774.jpg

100_0773.jpg

Ok, done a bit more ferreting around with this one and came up with this (courtesy of Rav4 World) -

http://drinkdocker.com/

I was very impressed with the reviews given by members on R4W, so thought I would give it a go and ordered

a couple from the US. I went for the large ones at $9.99 each plus shipping. I am very impressed with these,

they look very smart, work a treat and can be cleaned if they collect spillages / condensation etc. Defo 10/10 :thumbsup:

They look just the job Dave :thumbsup: Just to clarify The large size? and do they sort out the shipping and exchange rate if you get them thru pay-pal? TBH never oredered anything from the states..and obviously the rav cup holders grip them ok? Do you i assume push your vessel into them and then when you lift your drink up the drink docker stays on your drink? sorry if i sound like an idiot bit hard to describe what i mean :thumbsup: