Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rev Counter Wiring!

Dougie Wallace

Hey, can someone please advise me on what to try next. I bought a Digital Rev Counter and Volt meter to try and fit in my Aygo, i can get the volt meter to work but not the Rev Counter, It comes with four wires Red = Ignition Black = Ground Green = :blink: Yellow = :blink: .

I was told by a friend that it won't work because the signal from the coil is probably anologue, so i'd need an A to D convertor but when i enquired about this in Western Toyota i was told they don't do anything like that! I've searched all over the internet for a convertor but all i can find is American Motorcycle shops which i'm not sure would work and it was quite expensive (including postage) to just try.

Then a few weeks ago i had a new Yaris as a courtesy car and guess what it has a Digital Rev Counter!!

Which totally :censor: me off! I don't know whether to go back and ask at the dealers or does anyone know a Toyota Technical Support E-mail.

Any help would be amazing (except telling me to try a Flux Capacitor) and I'll add you to my X-mas card list.

Thanx

A Flux Capacitor doesn't get you anywhere, trust me; I've tried on my DeLorean when I had one :D

Where did you get the revcounter from? Didn't it come with some papers expailing which wires to use???

Power and ground seem to be obvious, of the two separate wires one MUST be the input for the revs,

the other MIGHT need to be hooked up to your lights, so it dims at night. My TID does this too...

To which wires did you connect the system to try this??? Your friend does not

seem to really know what he's talking about, as the Aygo doesn't even HAVE "a coil".

The Aygo has three separate coils (ignition packs), one for each spark plug.

We really need to know what inputs your counter needs in order to tell you where to hook it up.

Does the counter even support a 3 cilinder car??? Some aftermarket systems don't, some with a divider...

A Flux Capacitor doesn't get you anywhere, trust me; I've tried on my DeLorean when I had one :D

Where did you get the revcounter from? Didn't it come with some papers expailing which wires to use???

Power and ground seem to be obvious, of the two separate wires one MUST be the input for the revs,

the other MIGHT need to be hooked up to your lights, so it dims at night. My TID does this too...

To which wires did you connect the system to try this??? Your friend does not

seem to really know what he's talking about, as the Aygo doesn't even HAVE "a coil".

The Aygo has three separate coils (ignition packs), one for each spark plug.

We really need to know what inputs your counter needs in order to tell you where to hook it up.

Does the counter even support a 3 cilinder car??? Some aftermarket systems don't, some with a divider...

Hey, its an Auto Gauge, Volt/Tachometer, Smoke Gauge Series. I'm including some pics but i think the focus is a little poor!

At the top of the one page manual the first instruction is to set the cylinder switch and on the back of the gauge it has a switch for changing it between 2,3,4,5,6,8 cylinder, (i've tried doing it in reverse order incase it was labelled wrong). In the middle of the instructions it just tells you about the start up sequence of the gauge, then at the bottom it has the installation instructions which only states; YELLOW - BATTERY(+) RED - 12v+ IGNITION SWITCH BLACK - ENGINE GROUND(-) GREEN - RPM SIGNAL.

As I'm sure you know there are six wires on the rev counter plug behind the speedo on the Aygo I have tried every combination (Obvious ones and stupid ones!) and none of them work... other than the Volt meter, i can see the rev counter LEDs operate when it goes through the start up sequence, so i know they do work. I may have mis-quoted my friend when i said "a coil" or he may have been puting it in lehmans terms because he knows i have knowledge of electrics but not a lot about mechanics!! Or as you said he could be talking :horse:

again any help would be great.

post-57713-1228671426_thumb.jpg

post-57713-1228671495_thumb.jpg

post-57713-1228671529_thumb.jpg

Ah, I see what COULD be part of your problem... (besides all pics being out of focus)

Your meter needs TWO powerfeeds: one constant and one switched with ignition.

On the plug for the revcounter (mine has 5 leads, not 6) the constant power is not available...

I'm guessing the permanent feed is needed for the Volt-meter and/or startup sequence

The available wires are:

RED: +12V w/ Ignition

BROWN: Ground

BLACK: Rev-signal

GREEN & BLUE: Illumination & Reset

So You need to hookup RED to Red, BLACK to Brown, GREEN to Black and

YELLOW needs to connect to a permanent feed. I know there are several possibilities

under the cowling for the speedo, but personally I'd tap into the feed for the radio.

And even if you hook it up this way it still might not work, if Toyota decided to

use a proprietary signal for the tacho, but I seriously doubt that, as I've seen

several mods tapping into that wire for things like LED-bars and ShiftLights...

hmmm, Cheers I'm working the next few days but i'll give it a try on Thursday or Friday. i'll let you know if it works, and send a fuzzy pic to prove it! And if it doesn't work I'll send you a pic of a smashed up gauge and i'm sure you'll know what that'll mean!! :blowup:

"If at first you don't succeed... Try a bigger hammer..." ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It's been three weeks, did you get it working???

I'd really like to see some pics of the gauges installed and working :D

It's been three weeks, did you get it working???

I'd really like to see some pics of the gauges installed and working :D

Sorry I've not done it as my car died just before xmas! The engine management light came on, on my way to work, I had to drive in 4th gear just to keep it at 40mph on the motorway! (very embarassing, even a Rav4 overtook me! :lol: ) I also had to keep revving when it was idling.

Only the sales department was open over the festive period, so I'll need to wait till Monday to get it checked by services, so my Aygo's in the customer car park at western toyota, Edinburgh and I'm 20miles away in Dunfermline.

I don't think its dirty fuel cause i had nearly a full tank and i use fuel cleaner quite often, so i'm thinking its either the fuel line or the air/fuel mix. It doesn't die when it idles in neutral, it only does it with the clutch down and in 1stgear.

I'll post as soon as it gets brought back to life, and I'll do the gauge as soon as. I'm desperate to know if its going to work!!

Sorry to hear about your car. Doesn't the RAC carry OBD2 diagnostics???

I know the "Wegenwacht" (Dutch equivalent) does, so they can reset the ECU-codes...

Or if you have a ScanGauge II like myself you can reset them yourself...

Should I run into a problem like that with my Aygo I'm calling the

Wegenwacht first and then Toyota EuroCare; see who gets there first :D

I'm not with the RAC, My partner's with the AA which covers her on both our cars but she needs to be in the car when it breaksdown and i was on a nightshift when this happened and she was on a dayshift. But at least it meant in the morning I could take her car to get home. I think it was Karma teaching me a lesson cause I'd been slagging off her car that night as it sounds like a Tank! (its a 5year old Nissan Almera 70,000miles on the clock) And in the end I had to rely on it to get home.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the "Wegenwacht" (Dutch equivalent) does, so they can reset the ECU-codes...

Hey, Just to update you, tried wiring the rev counter again but its appears to be completly dead ( even the volt meter no longer works). Although it could be the car As that is now with Toyota as that is completly dead too!! I don't know if its the electrics but it doesn't start properly and all the dashboard lights are now on including the power steering light even though the power steering seems fine,

The services manager looked in genuine shock when i told him the 'check engine' light came on he said they've not had an Aygo with the engine light on before.

Hey, Just to update you, tried wiring the rev counter again but its appears to be completly dead ( even the volt meter no longer works). Although it could be the car As that is now with Toyota as that is completly dead too!! I don't know if its the electrics but it doesn't start properly and all the dashboard lights are now on including the power steering light even though the power steering seems fine,

The services manager looked in genuine shock when i told him the 'check engine' light came on he said they've not had an Aygo with the engine light on before.

Just a suggestion but it might be an idea not to mention you tried to wire a non-standard rev counter to the supplied wiring before the dashboard went all disco on you.

Just in case ...

Just a suggestion but it might be an idea not to mention you tried to wire a non-standard rev counter to the supplied wiring before the dashboard went all disco on you.

Just in case ...

Um, yeah i did leave that out although i didn't interfere with the electrics as such i only played with (sorry i mean 'i only tried') the existing plug for the Rev counter and the connection for the stereo, the engine light came on before i tried this procedure, I've since addded a Topic about it.

Thanks for the advice anyway, hope you can advise on my new Topic too.

Cheers,

• 14 years later...

i was about to try this im scared off frying my ecu now poped a fuse preparing wires 2 touched hope thats all it done

• 3 weeks later...

i got it working and green&blue is lights first detent & live with ignition switch, so you can have the backlight on the gauge with ignition soon as it starts up or with light switch... i got a cheap eBay gauge works 1-8 cylinder... it does wig out if i start the car before the gauge completes its start up

s-l1600.jpg