Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chirp/squeak Noise On Idle

Chris81

I've noticed a chirping/squeeking sound coming from the belts area of my engine on idle. I thought it was just down to the cold weather but it doesn't disappear after driving and its warmer outside today too.

As soon as you put a few revs on (doesn't have to be many) the sound disappears then reappears as soon as the revs return to idling.

If it was the belts, wouldn't it be worse the more revs I put on? Any ideas?

Sounds like dry belts to me, either replace them or give them a quick spray with a silicone/wd40 type spray.

Mart.

Thanks for the reply. I was gonna spray some WD40 on but thought it might do more harm than good. Will give it a try and see what happens. Is it ok to spray it all round the pulleys as well?

Thanks for the reply. I was gonna spray some WD40 on but thought it might do more harm than good. Will give it a try and see what happens. Is it ok to spray it all round the pulleys as well?

Try just spraying the back of the belt as the engine is running.

Dont need tooooo much as wd40 drys out moisture.

If it still persits, you might need a new belt or could be something else.

R

Isn't WD40 a lubricant? I know it disperses moisture but I would never spray it on my belts, I normaly rub talcum powder all around the surfaces as it dry up any oils or moisture and the squeak stops.

Isn't WD40 a lubricant? I know it disperses moisture but I would never spray it on my belts, ....

Howard. Yes it is a Lub.

You are more than safe to spray WD40 on the back of the belt. Quote; "I would never spray it on my belts" and why not?

You will find this will disperse the damp and stop the belt from making a noise.

That is if it is the belt!

And remember, you don't need tooo much.

R

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links