Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Previa Creaks Over Speed Bumps

OliverS

Can anyone give me advice about a creaking noise which has developed in the rear right hand suspensio of my Previa when I go over speed-bumps? Just had it serviced and the garage said it's probably the bushes. They claimed to have sprayed the bushes and now the sound's now worse!

Is this an expensive thing to replace/repair - it's doing my head in; a bit like having tinatus. :unsure:

Can anyone give me advice about a creaking noise which has developed in the rear right hand suspensio of my Previa when I go over speed-bumps? Just had it serviced and the garage said it's probably the bushes. They claimed to have sprayed the bushes and now the sound's now worse!

Is this an expensive thing to replace/repair - it's doing my head in; a bit like having tinatus. :unsure:

Dude these cars are old. I am sure you creak now a lot more than you used to.

Seriously as a fellow owner of these cars and as someone who knows them pretty darn well let me just say if it aint broke don't fix it.

Depending on whether you have a solid rear axle or independent suspension will depend very much on where the noise is coming from. Chances are it may just be from one of your struts or it could well be from a bush. You should only really get concerned when the creak turns to a clonk. A good way to find the source is to get someone to stand in the boot and jump up and down whilst you lie next to the car and try isolate the location.

Good luck.

Seriously as a fellow owner of these cars and as someone who knows them pretty darn well let me just say if it aint broke don't fix it.

Depending on whether you have a solid rear axle or independent suspension will depend very much on where the noise is coming from. Chances are it may just be from one of your struts or it could well be from a bush. You should only really get concerned when the creak turns to a clonk. A good way to find the source is to get someone to stand in the boot and jump up and down whilst you lie next to the car and try isolate the location.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Probably wise advice, and yes you're right I do creak although I think the car is younger than me (in car years - a V-reg) and so has less excuses.

Good tip with locating the source too; I'll get the kids to jump up and down all at the same time - actually come to think of it that's what they do already!

V reg?? Is your car a Mk1 or a Mk2. The Mk2 is front wheel drive and so the rear suspension is a bit different. Troubleshooting remains the same though just fewer parts.

Mk1 or 2 check the shock bushes top and bottom as these tend to perish quite quickly relative to other rubbers.

V reg?? Is your car a Mk1 or a Mk2. The Mk2 is front wheel drive and so the rear suspension is a bit different. Troubleshooting remains the same though just fewer parts.

Mk1 or 2 check the shock bushes top and bottom as these tend to perish quite quickly relative to other rubbers.

It's a MK1 - there seem to be about 4 bushes, when I looked underneath at the garage - nevertheless I think if the process of changing them amounts to more than a £150 I'll just have to live with it. Just out of interest what would be the process of changing them?

Just out of interest what would be the process of changing them?

Blood, sweat and too many tears for it to be worth the creak :unsure:

You didn't say whether you had independent rear suspension or a solid diff axle. Depending on which one some of the bushes cannot be changed and require a complete new lower arm. Once again not worth it for the noise and age of the car.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links