Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&n Induction Kit

Titto

Right, its ordered (couldnt justify £150 for the Apexi) and cost me £60 quid from a car shop in Derby - brill.

So, the next question is - has anyone got a rough guide on how to fit it - i looked under the bonnet earlier and saw more wires than expected.

Also, should i reset the ECU when done?

If so, can someone post a pic of where the fuse is for this please - it would help loads.

Thanks again,

Adam

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigT

• Titto

• John R

• ZeroBlade

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Apexi... I was gonna fit mine but all the instructions were in Japanese !!

Having never done anything like fitting an induction kit before, I was well lost.

Hence it's in the Garage getting done, along with an Oil Change also. ( I'm a lazy ******! )

remove ALL plastic boxes that connect to the first rubber hose that comes off your throttle body, only 1 wire intake air temp sensor. Fit filter on one remaining rubber pipe, temp sensor in hole on filter job done.

sw20bay02-12-03.JPG

on mine the big thick blue hose replaced the rubber one i'm talking about. As can be seen all that black plastice in the corner of the bay is gone.

sorry to hijack thread :ph34r: but steve you got an NA right? what mods do you have and have you dynod it? Wanna know how much extra you can get from an NA with a few mods.

maybe dyno'd this week, or will be soon, standard its the 158bhp one, from other peoples readings same year car, very similar mods i'd hope for 170 bhp 140 lbs.

Samco coolant hoses, and every thing else that could be replaced, Blitz filter, magnex De-cat, Wrapped manifold, oil catch can (reduces intake temps of re-circed oil vapour), 40mm drop, Tom's light weight split rims, runs only on optimax.

I intend to hayward and scott single exit exhaust and then unichip it, should be 200bhp then.

P.s if you can afford £500 for HKS cams then uni chip 230bhp is possible. Idle will be rough as tho.. :eek: TOM's used to sell a modded 3sge with 235ps

cheers matey,i noticed that odd looking manifold, whats the advantage of a wrapped manifold do? I'm gonna be aiming for a 200bhp+ na too when i get mine, im getting a 174bhp rev 3,1994 model though so hopefully wont be tooooo expensive! When you use optimax do you notice a big difference?

yeah can you let me know more about you're mods and how to do em please! Mines the same engine as yours so once i've got the old K&N on im looking to do other stuff.

You say you've got the de-cat Magnex thingy - how do you get around the mot thing? (unless you'res is one that dont req it?)

Load me up with info!

Titto

Ps: this wire that goes into the k&n - is there anywhere in particular it needs to go?

you cant go wrong with fitting a K/N filter.

The sensor with the wire on slots into the hole in the cone filter

the de-cat is a remove at MOT time thing as its a k plate, j is ok no need for cat so the decat pipe can stay. The wrapped manifold has two advantages, first the hotter your actual exhaust pipe is the faster it flows the exhaust gases, so is less restrictive with the same diameter pipes and two the heat is kept in the exhaust so the engine bay temperature is dropped quite significantly. This causes less heat sink damage to other components and is generally a good thing. That photo is missing one vital component as well, i have a shield sectioning off the part of the engine bay with the filter in, basically a bit of sheet metal cut to fit round pipes etc so the air the filter sucks is only cold air from the side vent. I removed all the other standard metal heat shields and replaced with aluminised fibre glass sticky back matting on the bulk head as it gives you more room to work and weighs a lot less, i don't have a spare in the front so it's good practise to loose weight from the rear as well to keep the handling balanced. :thumbsup:

Steve, this is interesting me.

*What stuff do i use to wrap around the pipes??

*Any photo's of the metal sheet to stop hot air getting in the air filter?

Cheers

Adam

don't know if this will take you straight there but - product search, exhausts, insulation

Burton Power

basically fabric / fibre glass manifold wrap, widely used in the states, not so much here. A note,... to my belief it works... the MR2 exhaust as standard has heat shields surrounding the pipes stuffed with fibre glass matting from manifold back. Only reason for not doing manifold as well is cost, you can't surround it any other way than wrapping, too intricate to be done in the way toyota did the remainder of the system.

I'll do a phot of the metal shield tomorrow :thumbsup:

Aluminised heat barrier is also available at this site, mind this stuff isn't cheap

Right, fitted it today

What a doddle.

The car pulls nicer and feels more responsive - I didnt like the little whistling noise that K&N's sometimes get but now ive driven around with it I love it!

Well chuffed basically.

It seemed that i dumped a hella lot of large bits of plastic whilst taking apart the original air filter etc...

Is that normal or what?

Cheers

Adam

Right thats it! Im gonna get a K&N induction kit too. Really soon!

Titto mate Im gonna be asking you for loads of pointers in the next week or so :thumbsup:

PS: What are your feelings now that you have been driving around with it for a while?

What does the car sound like?

What other differences have you noticed?

easy as pie to install john.

Basically take out the standard air filter and everything thats connected to it.

The only bit that stays is a wire rite near the engine, this pops into a hole in the side of the hose for the k&n.

As for what it does...

Sounds mint, specially when revving, and sounds nice as your speed increases :)

Seems to smooth acceleration out a bit 2, and slightly more responsive. that may just be my ButtDyno tho. Did u experience nething similar titto? i think smiffad stuck a K&N into his 2 aswell, not 100% sure tho.

-Z

I got mine from Prosport, it's 68.95, can't rem how much carriage was about £8 tho. I ordered some other stuff aswell with it so i dunno if it'l based on weight / no. of items.

-Z

I would still say get an apexi mate.. save up a little longer as it's a bit more expensive than the K&N, but also alot better.

I got mine from Prosport, it's 68.95, can't rem how much carriage was about £8 tho. I ordered some other stuff aswell with it so i dunno if it'l based on weight / no. of items.

-Z

Thats a fair bit cheaper than other sites. Did you find their service good?

If so I may get mine from there.

PS: This is the full induction kit right?

Yep Sankeeater, - everything that Zeroblade says. Its seriously nice to hear - Im getting the bug for fitting stuff now so an exhaust is next.....

Installation is simple, a one man job. You have to remove **** loads of plastic crap (it all comes off in large segments - but when you have it on the floor it looks like loads of stuff!)

And then the installation of the filter is also a doddle.

I pulled out the ECU fuse whilst doing it, a few people told me to do that so when you bang it back in, you're car will learn properly with the filter on.

Cheers

Adam

(ps:£280 quid for a Magnex exhaust system - is that good or are Mongoose around that price???)

@ john: no probs pal ;)

@ snakeater: deliverry was sorted. Can't rem properly how long it took, but thats a good thing cos it means it didnt P me off, i.e. maybe not very long, heh :) products was packed properly, and yep it was the full kit.

@jim: don't quote me on this but i think that for an n/a the difference between the K&N and APEXi prolly isnt worth the difference... We don't all hav etons of ca$h to spare !!! :lol:

@titto: yep pullin the fuse, and causing the ECU to reset does help. :thumbsup:

-Z