• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CraigT

• Titto

• John R

• ZeroBlade

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the car on the RR @ Starperformance.co.uk and initially made 181bhp @ 7780RPM :blink: (bit high I thought).

Mods since then are De-cat and IK. Still to take delivery of the IK, but will get it fitted aswell as Mongoose catback. Should maybe see 10+bhp in total. Chip and I could be seeing 200bhp I think :D

Reading some site which was comparing air filters (Apexi and K&N etc) and it reckoned that you see a 13-14bhp increase???

Now I expected maybe a little, but this seems quite a lot. Is this exaggerated???

I'm not sure m8...

I've also read conflicting independant reviews off various sites about this. It's just one of those things that u just do, cos i "mite" help...

-Z

Yeah I guess so. Over at IMOC they suggested that fuel consumption was much improved too.

Sounds pretty good all round I reckon :thumbsup:

K&N induction kit finally came today. Managed to get it fitted before work today.

First impressions:

* Nice whooshing air noise when revving and between gear changes

* Noticably better response to acceleration

Havent had the chance to drive about much yet but first impressions are deffinelty good.

The instructions were really clear which made it simple (even for me) to git it fitted correctly :thumbsup:

Right, just for a final post.... what was the part number?, how much was it? and where did you get it form?

Just to make it clear!

John. :thumbsup:

Yep if your MR2 is a non-turbo 2.0 GT 16v 173bhp year 1994 - 00 then you need the induction kit with the part number of 57-0387.

The instructions were really clear which made it simple (even for me) to git it fitted correctly :thumbsup:

lucky you !! My Apexi came from Japan and the instructions were all in Jap !!

The instructions were really clear which made it simple (even for me) to git it fitted correctly  :thumbsup:

lucky you !! My Apexi came from Japan and the instructions were all in Jap !!

Ouch! Still though mate it would be worth you trying to get that sucka in there. I remember you saying that you havent fitted it yet.

It's fitted !

I couldn't do it myself because the alarm was in the way !!

CRD had to modify some bits and bobs etc to get it to fit... nice chaps ! (sometimes.. lol)

I STILL havent got my K&N IK yet... ordered it last Weekend. Good news is that I got the Mongoose cat back delivered and is getting fitted tommorow (Tuesday) Afternoon. Pics to follow :D

How long did ur K&N take to get delivered? It's not exactly a rapid service from Pro Sport.

I STILL havent got my K&N IK yet... ordered it last Weekend. Good news is that I got the Mongoose cat back delivered and is getting fitted tommorow (Tuesday) Afternoon. Pics to follow :D

How long did ur K&N take to get delivered? It's not exactly a rapid service from Pro Sport.

No mate, I doubt I'll order from them again to be honest. Took over a week when some other sites offer next day delivery :angry:

Final thoughts on the K&N 57i Induction kit (filtercharger):

* Car is noticably louder (may need to get used to this if Im honest)

* Makes a nice air hissing noise on revving and gear changes

* Smoother acceleration

* Response from the throttle is sharper

Things that Ive wondered about:

* Doesnt the intake pipe (which leads from the side vent by the door) pull in water if its raining?

* Dont the vents on the engine lid let water pour down into the engine where the K&N is located? Surlely a wet filter will not perform as well as a dry one?

* What did the resonator box, air pickup box, and the air box do exactly if they are no longer needed?

Reading some site which was comparing air filters (Apexi and K&N etc) and it reckoned that you see a 13-14bhp increase???

Now I expected maybe a little, but this seems quite a lot. Is this exaggerated???

hi m8, that website had its results based on a mk4 supra TT..... i'm not sure what standard bhp they have but it must be 300+ ?

even 10bhp from an induction kit on a 170-180bhp car is !Removed! good going!

i think if it was set up properly with routed cold air/sheild/airbox then u might see 8bhp, couple that with a decat and realistically you're gonna get around 10-12bhp altogether.

If your car doesnt' have big bhp to start with then induction filters and decat pipes really just free up the revs, lets it breathe easier but most substantially.. gives you a racing noise.

you'll probably notice a drop in power at lower revs with these mods fitted, but you'll get more high end power in return.

* What did the resonator box, air pickup box, and the air box do exactly if they are no longer needed?

Depends on who you talk to....most will say NOTHING but others will tell you how important it is.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Got the side repeators today, fit them tomorrow.... then the k&n.

Cool. I think they will compliment the colour of your car very nicely :thumbsup:

What sites stock these for the 173bhp engine? You mentioned Prosport, but they sound a bit ****. I went into Larkspeed today but they said £92.

So what are other websites? I can't seem to find any!

John.

What sites stock these for the 173bhp engine? You mentioned Prosport, but they sound a bit ****. I went into Larkspeed today but they said £92.

So what are other websites? I can't seem to find any!

John.

Well there not too bad if you give them the part number Ive mentioned above and dont mind waiting a week for it to arrive.

Me, Im impatient :D

Fitted my side repeaters today, it was easy!

Looking them though, with the orange bulbs in.... they look a bit 'fried egg-ish'.

I think I will put the clear bulbs back in and have white side repeaters until MOT time.