Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'clattering' Clutch....adjustment Possible?

yarvelling

Hello!

I hope that one of you knowledgeable Aygo owners might be able to help......

My Aygo Sport has recently decided to make an odd 'clattering' noise whenever I depress the clutch pedal fully; it's most noticeable when stopped at junctions/lights when the car is idling, before moving off. Once the car is moving then all sounds normal.

It does seem that the biting-point is now very near the top of the clutch pedal travel also, but it doesn't feel like it's slipping.

The clattering noise almost sounds like a slow helicopter!

Any ideas? Would adjusting the clutch help? If so...how does one adjust the Aygo clutch? (the last clutch I ever adjusted was on an old Marina many, many years ago!!)

Thanks... :)

Steve.

If its a loud clatter then it sounds like one or more of the clutch cover fixings may have snapped.

Best to get the dealer to take a look.

Seen a couple of these do this - replaced full clutch kit.

Mart.

I got the opposite. When stationary in neutral not touching the clutch i get a ticking/clattering sound. Once you press down the clutch it disappears.

Mentioned this to Toyota and they told me its normal as its a cable clutch.... <_<

They told me they had a brand new aygo out the front that sounds exactly the same......meh....oh well i dont care, as long as it doesnt break down i dont mind the rattling.

Yours does sound more worrying though. I'd say it sounds like something has broken too.

I got the opposite. When stationary in neutral not touching the clutch i get a ticking/clattering sound. Once you press down the clutch it disappears.

Mentioned this to Toyota and they told me its normal as its a cable clutch.... <_<

They told me they had a brand new aygo out the front that sounds exactly the same......meh....oh well i dont care, as long as it doesnt break down i dont mind the rattling.

Yours does sound more worrying though. I'd say it sounds like something has broken too.

Thanks for the replies....suppose I'd better take it down to my local Mr T then......sounds expensive :(

I had this with a mini I used to have. The clutch failed pretty quickly after it started (can't remember which part of the clutch failed). There are various ways a clutch can fail (thrust bearing, pressure plate etc), it's not just when it slips that it needs replacing. Let us know what Toyota say. P.S. how many miles have you covered?

Thanks for the replies....suppose I'd better take it down to my local Mr T then......sounds expensive :(

That would be best, as long as you are still in warranty (mileage and age) you should get it sorted for free :)

Mart.

If you want the instructions on how to adjust your clutch, send me a message and I'll send you the info. No point learning it unless your warranty has expired

Thanks...I'd appreciate the instructions :)

I took my Aygo in for a check-over yesterday; doesn't sound good! It goes back for strip-down/repairs next Monday. They couldn't determine the exact nature of the fault yesterday; too late in the day to strip the clutch. I just hope it holds out for the rest of the week....it's the busiest time of the year for us at work!

The car has done aprox 40k miles and is now out of warranty unfortunately so I'm not averse to to having-a-go if it's within my limited capabilities (!!) if it'll help!

Thanks all, again, for your suggestions/help.....I'll keep you posted as to how things go.....

Cheers :)

I very much doubt adjusting it will help but you can try if you like.

Going by your description it definately sounds like one or more of the straps have snapped on the cover. This means when you press the clutch pedal the cover starts to move about as the pressure is taken off it.

Mart.

My clutch is not making a clattering noise, but it is making a squeaking noise. Especially if you give it try to accelerate quickly out of a junction. It makes the noise just near the biting point. If you are very gentle it isn't so pronounced.

Just a quick update......

My Aygo is currently 'in' having a new clutch fitted.....As had been correctly diagnosed by Moonstone Mart, one of the cover fixings had broken, causing wear and damage to the clutch :( I should be getting it back tomorrow; going to cost £330.....I just hope that this isn't something that's going to happen every 3 - 4 years - that would not be good :angry:

Anyway, thanks to Moonstone for giving me the right advice :)

Just a quick update......

My Aygo is currently 'in' having a new clutch fitted.....As had been correctly diagnosed by Moonstone Mart, one of the cover fixings had broken, causing wear and damage to the clutch :( I should be getting it back tomorrow; going to cost £330.....I just hope that this isn't something that's going to happen every 3 - 4 years - that would not be good :angry:

Anyway, thanks to Moonstone for giving me the right advice :)

No probs :)

Just a shame it didnt happen when still in warranty. Only seen this a couple of times so i doubt it will happen very often - should last a while.

Mart.

Is £330 for a complete new clutch and labour?

Yes, but as the car is only recently out of warranty I've been given a discount..... it should've been just over £500!!!

What a relief!! All done:)

Feels like a new car; the biting point is now at the right end of the clutch pedal, which feels so much lighter too, now! No more clattering! A happy, if expensive, end to an annoying problem :)

Merry Christmas all..... :cheers:

happy chrimbo peeps

i got my aygo on dec 3rd and now the clutch makes a tap noise as i depress it, also the accelerator makes a loud whirring noise as i rev. car does sound normal when driving but when parking and slow moving it makes thatnoise and its quite loud. also i wasnt told to keep the car under a certain rev or to be careful to run it in??? were any of you told this??? although i have been driving it carefully

i got my aygo on dec 3rd and now the clutch makes a tap noise as i depress it

Mine does too, has done so for over 2 years now and I was told this is considered "normal".

the accelerator makes a loud whirring noise as i rev.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, the PEDAL makes a noise???

i wasnt told to keep the car under a certain rev or to be careful to run it in???

I was told to do so too and it's in the manual too...

No prolonged high revs for the first 1000km (so it IS OK to get it

up for a couple of secs) and gentle on the brakes for the first 300km...

• 1 month later...
If you want the instructions on how to adjust your clutch, send me a message and I'll send you the info. No point learning it unless your warranty has expired

Would appreciate any advice on clutch adjustment adilmon. Unfortunately my warranty has expired :(

Many Thanks

Would appreciate any advice on clutch adjustment adilmon. Unfortunately my warranty has expired :(

Many Thanks

sent :)

Many Thanks

Is this the newest information on adjustment and the 23mm freeplay?

Mart.

Many Thanks

Mart.

Yes, 13-23mm freeplay and pedal height 161-171mm for RHD (135-145mm for LHD)

Many Thanks

Mart.

Yes, 13-23mm freeplay and pedal height 161-171mm for RHD (135-145mm for LHD)

Good stuff, just wanted to make sure people werent just going to wind the adjuster up and end up burning the clutch out. :D

Mart.

t_p1m_96cec49.jpg

t_p2m_1d6e420.jpg

Disclaimer: Any adjustments to your vehicle must be carried out by a competant mechanic, blah blah, blah :yawn:

Many Thanks

Thanks for the info adilmon. Had a look at the clutch pedal yesterday and the measurements were thereabouts.What seemed to be a clutch rattle isn't, has become more intermittent and sounds tinny a bit like an exhaust rattle,usually when engine is labouring. Has just had a slight oil leak fixed on front engine plate just before the warranty ran out and I'm wondering if toyo boys have disturbed something as it was ok before this job.

Mustn,t grumble to much though as customer service from RMB Teesside was excellent. I drive a Renault were customer service is non existent.

Gail's husband Mark.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links