Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Stroke.

Calisto

About 2-3 weeks ago my Nan suffered from a stroke, was taken to hospital and put on the "stroke ward".

Last night she suffered 3 separate seizures, and had to be sedated and put on oxygen. :(

This morning I had a meeting with the team that are caring for her, and they told me straight....she could pass away at any moment and that they would not be resuscitating her....as the brain damage is extensive and there would be no quality of life for her.

As a Health Care Assistant, I used to deal with elderly stroke victims on a daily basis, the ones who are lucky enough to pull through, but not knowing what they were like before the stroke, I never knew how dramatic the change of personality really is.

It was a shock to see....she didn't talk or sound like my Nan.

It's harsh but I am waiting for "the call" that sooner or later, will come. :crybaby:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Calisto

• Red Yaris 54

• Kev Mc

• Devil-ish

What is going on these days.

I lost my grandad a few months back, first person i know to have died and it shocked me how upset I got!

Hope you are ok!!

You mentioned that at the recent TOC party Ash................Sorry to hear that things have not got better for your Nan.

I seem to have lost more old friends and ex colleagues this year (Some of them younger than myself :( )

I just hope that when it is my time to go that I go peacefully in bed :)

Hope you are ok hun x

Sorry to hear that.... :(

It sounds like you are handling things with the best possible frame of mind though.

Ash dont give up hope yet hun, my grandma has had five strokes - she was on her death bed twice and pulled through both times, she is not the same person that she used to be but she can still walk (some days) and she still gets out to enjoy the rest of life, she has gained a new personality aswell - bit of a wise cracker now - tells us all sorts of jokes lol

Also my grandad has had seven strokes, he is 85 and fitter than i am! He didnt suffer loss of personality like my grandma did and he is still the same old grandad that he always was.

So hope for the best sweetie xx

Thanks for the kind words and pm's.

I am going up to the hospital later. TBH This is the bit I dislike the most...... seeing her like she is.

No clue as to who I am, and the vacant look in her eyes. Although when she could talk... a few days ago she did ask how Jinxed and Rich was, lol

All the best, Ash!

I visited my mum in hospital at the weekend actually - she'll be in for about 4-6 weeks and by that time no doubt will have driven the staff mad with random questions!! Makes a change from driving her family mad with random questions I guess :) except we will all get our turns when visiting her :rolleyes:

It is always sad seeing people getting older and seemingly suddenly flipping from being fine to being old and confused :(

Sorry to hear your nan has taken a turn for the worst hon... my thoughts are with you both.

Give her a hug from 'Jo Jo' when you see her next... I hope she pulls through as she is a lovely lady.

*big hugs... and might see you soon

xx

All the best Ash and I hope you pull through these terrible times. Your Nan would be proud of how you are coping with it all.

Hugs hun xxxx

Believe me I know how your feeling, My Mum passed away on 28th November, in fact I scattered her ashes this morning

Nothing can ever prepare you for "the call" I was dreading it, but it came at 2 in the morning. Mum had been in a Hospice for the last 6 weeks of her life, what a fantastic job they do. Even though I knew she was near the end, it still comes as a big blow.

I hope everything goes well for you, be with her, it will help when you look back on her life

Kingo

Sorry to hear your news m8, and i can feel for you and your family, having just lost a close member of my own family recently who was in a hospice "yes i think i know how you are feeling" god be with you at this time.

Ash, have no words that can comfort you apart from she probably doesnt know anything about it. Bless you and her and hope all goes well......we is always here for you if you need us

Les and Anne xxxx

No clue as to who I am, and the vacant look in her eyes. Although when she could talk... a few days ago she did ask how Jinxed and Rich was, lol

thats the worst part. my great grandad died a couple of months ago. the night he died i went to visit him in hospital. he didnt know who any of us where, his eyes where really vacant and he was very distressed. he only recognised my mum. waiting or the call is the worst part.

also

my other grandads partner had a stroke about 3 years ago. she recovered and is still the same person. it has affected the right hand side of her body but she is still able to walk. she has no use of her right arm or hand thou. but she is still the same person with the same personality.

im so sorry to hear this hun. must be such a tough time for you x x x

It's hard to find a positive at times like these - at least your nan is comfortable and being cared for round the clock.

Stay strong !

You are not alone, and won't be through whatever happens. You have good friends and are loved.

Thanks for being there for me Jinxed,..... and your right I do have a good circle of friends.

Thanks guys.

Well, I got that call last night at 9.30.

My Nan passed away at 9pm. During the day she developed cellulitis on her face, was given antibiotics in an IV and was using a nasal cannula to help with her breathing.

Not sure of the exact reason behind her passing... that will become apparent when I go back to the hospital to get the necessary paper work.

The worst thing was telling my son about about his Nan, my heart broke when I heard him crying, he doted on her. (He is with his Dad, so I was telling him over the phone).

Anyway, I have a long and busy day ahead of me.

Thanks for reading.

So sorry to hear that Ash :(

Stay strong hun x

Gutted for you all, I really am

Take care & if you need anyone to speak to I'm always here

Thinking of you

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links