Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis D4d Software Upgrade -- Help!

trevor166

Hi. I have a 2.0 D4d Avensis (2007) and the dealer has just contacted me to tell me he wants to do a software upgrade on the ECU. The reason for this is apparently that there is the possibility of the enging management warning light coming on erroneously and the software upgrade will fix this problem.

My warning light has never come on. Having checked another forum I have read avout an Avensis 2.2 D4d owner who had the upgrade done, following which the car always started very roughly and gave much poorer mpg. Once done the upgrade cannot be undone according to the dealer.

Has anyong out there had the upgrade and what do they think? The dealer says I sould have it done and tells me he has heard nothing negative from other owners who have had it. One RAV 4 owner has apprenetly told him it increased the mpg. THe dealer also says I will not be able to have any waranty work done unless I have the upgrade done.

Any advice gratefully received.

Hi

Not to sure about not affecting warranty, if the remap is to address a fault that causes a known problem then this problem could well be excluded.

In my experience manufacturers don't go to the trouble of rewriting ECU maps without good cause. I would have it done.

Also if you have ever experienced the engine managment light coming on you will know it's not fun. In my case a total loss of power (foot hard to the floor, engine ticking over), only restored after turning the key off and on again

Had my upgrade done some weeks ago (went to dealer to check it was included yesterday) as they were resetting everything anyway for a starting problem and after 4 weeks or so, not noticed any difference at all. All seems to work fine. No noticable inc in mpg but only done about 500 miles, 150 of which was with the van attached, so figures skewed a bit. Dealer claimed not to have had any adverse feedback either and I trust the chaps that sort my car so no reason to beleive they'd tell me porkies.

To trevor166,

I would not be to concerned about having ECM upgrades, cannot see problem, this is every day work for modern cars. Microsoft just had major problem with browser & have issued download (or patch) to keep your computer safe, with respect you would not hesitate to carry out this download? Same thing really. As to other point, cannot see how this would effect your warranty????

Regards, Beagh.

I had my 2.2 t180 upgraded a few months ago after poor starting, random stallings and hunting for revs at tick over. The car is a lot better now no hunting for revs and when the car starts it wont die. Has before i was having to keep the throttle nailed to the floor just to keep it ticking over. Had my ecu upgrade done at 12200 miles now done 20k The car showed no problmes at all untill 11k when it would start then die, then when it had started it would just keep surging up and down the rev range.

Hi… I had the system on my T Spirit 2.2 D4D upgraded a few days ago and the early indications are that everything appears to be normal so far.

I did enquire about the reason for the upgrade and was told it was purely to correct the possibility of a false error message being displayed, which had apparently occurred on some vehicles under certain circumstances.

There was a report in this forum that someone had noticed an increase in power, but I think that was after other work had been done too. I thought that my car may have felt slightly more powerful when pulling in a higher gear, but I haven’t really driven it far enough since the upgrade to be positive and it may just be my imagination.

During the Christmas/New Year period I will be using it on an extended run of around 1,000 miles round trip, so this will give me an excellent indication of whether there is any change in mpg or performance.

I will report back…….

Yesterday I drove the 440 miles to my Christmas/New Year holiday destination, and I am please to say that the car behaved completely normally.

The performance, starting and economy were all perfect, exactly as before.

The economy for the journey, two thirds of which was at motorway speeds, was 52 mpg on the computer. In the past I have found that the computer seems to be reasonably accurate, which is good enough for me. My normal economy of mixed driving on country and city roads is usually 45-47 mpg and 50-52 mpg on longer journeys similar to the one I have just made.

My conclusion and advice is that the software upgrade does not make any difference to performance, starting or economy and that there is no reason to fear or hesitate about having the upgrade done. :thumbsup:

People who have had problems when the upgrade was done, seem to have had other work carried out at the same time on other faults, which may have clouded the issue and adversely effected the outcome.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone. :yahoo:

My normal economy of mixed driving on country and city roads is usually 45-47 mpg and 50-52 mpg on longer journey

Wow, you must wear Nike Airs or something! I wish I could get near to that in my T180 Tourer.

My normal economy of mixed driving on country and city roads is usually 45-47 mpg and 50-52 mpg on longer journey

Wow, you must wear Nike Airs or something! I wish I could get near to that in my T180 Tourer.

No.... not really..... more sort of heavier boots. I usually like to be the car in front. :D

My t180 hatch can manage 40-44 round town and 49-52mpg on a run. Unlike a lot of other t180 owners i've never suffered the poor fuel consumption. Will i did until it got run in and by 10k i was up in the high 30's low 40s just knockin round town. I'm not driving slow eitheer i'm 24 and theres 180bhp there and 400nm of torque to be used and it does get used. A friend of mine has a 2.2 diesel lexus and he only gets 30mpg after several trips to the dealer he still cannot get any more mpg.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have an Avensis 2.0 D4D T3-X 2007. Had it's 30K service at the beginning of December and they told me that they will be doing a ECU upgrade /fix as a recall. Guess what...my MPG has gone from 50 as an Average to approximately 43-44 MPG. Funny thing is I found this message whilst looking for any posts on reduced MPG. The Interesting thing is, if I drive it like I stole it, then the MPG improves. God only knows what the update has done. I guess if i'm pulled over for speeding my defence will be that I'm trying to get more MPG!!!!!

Hi,

I'm pleased to say that mine is still normal as before the upgrade, although the computer was telling me recently that my fuel consumption had worsened. When I filled up my tank today however, it seems that it was still returning around 46 mpg, which is what I would expect for my normal type of journeys.

It could be to do with a few long idling periods for warming up in the frosty weather perhaps, but as long as it stays around there I'm not complaining!

Let me know how you get on with the speeding defence angle. :cheers:

Hi… I had the system on my T Spirit 2.2 D4D upgraded a few days ago and the early indications are that everything appears to be normal so far.

I did enquire about the reason for the upgrade and was told it was purely to correct the possibility of a false error message being displayed, which had apparently occurred on some vehicles under certain circumstances.

There was a report in this forum that someone had noticed an increase in power, but I think that was after other work had been done too. I thought that my car may have felt slightly more powerful when pulling in a higher gear, but I haven’t really driven it far enough since the upgrade to be positive and it may just be my imagination.

During the Christmas/New Year period I will be using it on an extended run of around 1,000 miles round trip, so this will give me an excellent indication of whether there is any change in mpg or performance.

I will report back…….

icam did you have to pay for the upgrade. What year is your car i dont know if i need it as my cars neally done 68,000 miles so would it be best to get it done or would i have to pay a large sum for it.

I will report back…….

icam did you have to pay for the upgrade. What year is your car i dont know if i need it as my cars neally done 68,000 miles so would it be best to get it done or would i have to pay a large sum for it.

Hi Aamir, the upgrade was a recall, and was done free. They just phoned up mid Dec and I got it done a couple of days later. My car is a Feb '06, and so is still under warranty... just, but I assume all recalls should be done free anyway. Ask your local dealer about it.

The upgrade probably doesn't make much diffence overall, since I was told the reason for it was to correct a possible false error warning. I certainly had not had any problems with it, and as I said before, after the upgrade everything was fine and behaving normally.

Hope this helps you make your mind up.

Cheers.

I will report back…….

Hi Aamir, the upgrade was a recall, and was done free. They just phoned up mid Dec and I got it done a couple of days later. My car is a Feb '06, and so is still under warranty... just, but I assume all recalls should be done free anyway. Ask your local dealer about it.

The upgrade probably doesn't make much diffence overall, since I was told the reason for it was to correct a possible false error warning. I certainly had not had any problems with it, and as I said before, after the upgrade everything was fine and behaving normally.

Hope this helps you make your mind up.

Cheers.

Cool. Thanks I'll ask my dealer about it. :thumbsup:

Had my 30k service on my t180 yesterday and also had yet another ECU update and has mentioned this was to stop the chance of a error message. The ecu update was done free of charge has it was a recall. Just out of interest how many updates to the ecu are there for the t180. I've had a poor starting update done last year and now this one. Just completed a 400 mile trip and mpg and perfomance are all the same. So alls good.

My wife's T180 Tourer has had the injectors replaced twice for knocking, also had the common rail replaced along with the fuel pump and recently had the ECU upgrde which does seem to make the car quiter and smoother but every time they have fitted new parts her fuel consumption has died even further. It started at 46.7 when i got her the car and now sits at exactly 37mpg. Going for a service in march and will be complaining heavily about fuel difference.

She was getting 43mpg to be fair until ECU upgrade and then her fuel hit free fall.

I get as much as she does from a V6 Diesel Jag for Gods sake.

Still the most reliable baby rocket on the road though.