Do Not Sell My Personal Information

'not Again'

boilerman

Hi

Had my DMF/Clutch/pressure plate done about 8 weeks ago. Peddle was on the floor and bit instantly, took it back and they replaced the pressure plate saying it was cracked (they did this under warranty) Since then the car has been great, completely differant feel to the clutch, just how it should feel. However, I was reversing up a hill today, and when i got to the top, it stank of burning clutch !! Suerly this is not right, its ok at the moment but i just don't trust it any more, any suggestions.

The garage hasa good reputation, thats why i went there in the first place, but you do wonder if they have done what they say.

Anything attached to the back of your Rav ? ie trailer or caravan ? They are known to do this reversing uphill

with either.

Anything attached to the back of your Rav ? ie trailer or caravan ? They are known to do this reversing uphill

with either.

snap to daves remark. The RAV is not happy reversing uphill with any load.

with either.

What !! ,Crap clutch, poor DMF, wont go up hill backwards, poor alloys.............. I thought these Rav4's were supposed to be solid reliable cars !!

Maybe i should trade it in for CRV, my last one of over 10 years was a solid as a rock.

with either.

What !! ,Crap clutch, poor DMF, wont go up hill backwards, poor alloys.............. I thought these Rav4's were supposed to be solid reliable cars !!

Maybe i should trade it in for CRV, my last one of over 10 years was a solid as a rock.

I'm not allowed to comment about dieselly motors other than to say you deserve what you get!! :P :P

As far as the DMF - you ask a Ford Transit owner what they think, or a variety of other cars with the same concept fitted and you find the problems are even worse!

Generally the clutch is OK. I had a competition clutch fitted to mine - but then its running double the bhp it was designed for.

My landrover - an apology for a tractor - is diesel and waiting for a new engine....and when we tried to reverse a 2 ton caravan up a mild slope, the clutch was smoking. I used the RAV to do the same thing and it did the job, altho the clutch overheated. I'd guess if the clutch is complaining while reversing with no load, then theres a fault on the clutch.

Our Punto had a new clutch less than 1000 miles ago and it needs replaced again - but its the way its used!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the alloys, I've never used Toyota alloys as I've always prefered other makes. My lightweight sets of DARE Diesel and DARE Drift are excellent but if you go near a kerb, it rips alloy off the wheel in great lumps - driving skill ! :crybaby: :crybaby:

Corrosion on alloys - over the years I've found that they all succumb to corrosion. The hazards of kerbing; grit/salt on roads; extremes of heat from brakes and driving thru snow; and so on shows up weaknesses on all wheels.

dunno who you used to replace clutch, but if they didn't notice pressure plate was gubbed then they shouldn't be in business.

Easy tiger!!!

We have had reports of smelly clutches especially when reversing, especially with a trailer or other heavy loads (which is where the guy's comments come from) and usually when somebody has been slipping it!!!

As long as the clutch doesn't slip with normal driving don't worry too much but try to fully engage the clutch with low revs rather than partially with higher revs. Modern friction materials use synthetic resins that stink like burning rubber with a hint of amonia when hot!!! It may do it less after it has been conditioned as the resin system continues to cure a bit when subject to heat for the first time.

I wouldn't do anything rash just yet and the CRV is also fairly high geared in reverse just as the RAV is so would do the same under similar conditions.

Don't worry mate.

:thumbsup:

Easy tiger!!!

We have had reports of smelly clutches especially when reversing, especially with a trailer or other heavy loads (which is where the guy's comments come from) and usually when somebody has been slipping it!!!

As long as the clutch doesn't slip with normal driving don't worry too much but try to fully engage the clutch with low revs rather than partially with higher revs. Modern friction materials use synthetic resins that stink like burning rubber with a hint of amonia when hot!!! It may do it less after it has been conditioned as the resin system continues to cure a bit when subject to heat for the first time.

I wouldn't do anything rash just yet and the CRV is also fairly high geared in reverse just as the RAV is so would do the same under similar conditions.

Don't worry mate.

:thumbsup:

crawler (in reverse)