Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen - Repairable Or Not?

Hoovie

Got a crack in my windscreen from a flying stone this morning.

The crack is right by the bottom - abiut 3" above the bottom and maybe 4" long. Nowhere near the field of vision when driving BUT ....

I think there is a rule about the size of a crack or chip when it is in the area that is swept by the wipers (that swept area being considered the official field of vision??) - and about 2" of this crack is in that swept area.

I *think* it could be stopped from spreading, but if the position means it will fail this test regardless, there is little point in getting it repaired and I will need a new screen.

Opinions/thoughts please?

post-29315-1229517014_thumb.jpg

(pic is above - click to view - crack is circled in red - swept area is obvious due to filthy screen!)

If its a crack it is not repairable.

They good news is your insurance should cover it for a small excess.

It happened to me a couple of weeks after I got my current car... Admiral sent the windscreen fixing guy round the next morning to fit it at my place of work, it cost me £70. The genuine parts they used cost a lot more than that ;)

Just make sure you are specific on the phone to the repairers, tell them any options you have (blue/green tint, tinted strip acros the top, "climate comfort" protection etc, and if you have auto wipers and lights they will also need to know)

They initially turned up without the "comfort" heat filter later stuff on mine, but popped round the morning after and did a superb job.

Thanks - I wanted to avoid the £50 or so Excess as well ideally :(

I did think that cracks were repairable at least to the degree of stopping them growing

Out of interest, what I never realised was that although it does not affect the no claims bonus, the replacement IS recorded as an incident on your insurance record - found that out when the rear screen was replaced last year when it got smashed by a flying stone (from a guy working in my garden) and I got my renewal notice in a few months later

I don't know what the regulation is for cars but for HGV's as long as the crack isn't from rubber to rubber it will still pass the MOT ;)

super glue an AC/DC cd over the area for now to prevent futher cracking. :P

seriously id have a new screen - as jimlad states winter frosts will expand in that split and it will crack right over the screen , and at 70 mph it wont be pretty and your lifes worth alot more than the £50 exces.

Well, when I got back to the car at about 5 o'clock it was about 8" long

And by the time I got home 30 mins ago it was about 14" long, so tad too late for a repair I think. Reckon by tomorrow it will be right across screen

I am so tempted to add some childish innuendo to the last post, but I wont :lol:

Re the insurance incident for the rear screen, i would expect they would count that as a type of claim as any glass that isn’t the windscreen is seldom broken unless by thieves or freak accidents, stone chips/cracks are very common.

That’s probably why Windscreen's are noted in the policy as the chance of breaking or damaging is higher due to them being forward facing.

I wrote that last update post knowing a few people would have to be sitting on their hands ;)

I think policies actually state "Window glass" rather then "Windscreens" in fact. I checked about the Rear Screen affecting the no claims before I claimed - otherwise I would have got the contractor to pay the full cost not just the excess.

Just had a read of the policy I have while booking a repair and about the no claims discount and any reduction for claims that "Claims which are just for window glass or emergency treatment .... are not counted"

So they have just added it to your "Record", they will just have you marked as a serial glass smasher :lol: ;)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to break the news but a 12-13inch crack = new windshield. They wont repair a crack that big because it's deemed unsafe. Ya, you can't repair a crack, only chips. Do you have insurance? It's considered a non responsible claim, all you do is pay your deductible. Shoulda kept your baby in storage.

Replacement Auto Glass

Thanks - I wanted to avoid the £50 or so Excess as well ideally :(

I did think that cracks were repairable at least to the degree of stopping them growing

Out of interest, what I never realised was that although it does not affect the no claims bonus, the replacement IS recorded as an incident on your insurance record - found that out when the rear screen was replaced last year when it got smashed by a flying stone (from a guy working in my garden) and I got my renewal notice in a few months later

I had an almost identical crack on my Renault Van. Was there for almost a year before the test & wasn't expanding. Fail :(

The Renault people called in the mobile repair crowd coz a genuine Renault replacement would be way over what my Insurance would pay. Think I paid about Euro 50 & being in business at the time, I could claim back the VAT :thumbsup:

& yes ! It did show on my renewal notice, though there was no OBVIOUS loading :unsure: