Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Top Speed Of A 1.6 Vvt-i

Wicker

the 1.4 has no hope of hitting a genuine 130mph. there are so many hot hatches out there with power similar to that of a T sport which only just hit about that mark. a car with 95bhp is really going to be struggling past the 115 mark.

it would be interesting to see an genuine 1.4 owners opinions on this, but as a non sport model i very much doubt many have even given their car a beating of such proportions! lol.

my T Sport is fast, but the first time i took it on track it felt like anything over 120 was going to take a while to achieve and the 140 claimed top speed will never be seen in my ownership. so the 1.4 is going to literally take 5 miles or so to get to 130 (if it was capable).

bottom line is, i dont believe for one second a 1.4vvti will get close to 130 unless its been modded to the hilt and hitting circa 160bhp.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rez89

• Norfolk n Chance

• superjim42

• butterman

bottom line is, i dont believe for one second a 1.4vvti will get close to 130 unless its been modded to the hilt and hitting circa 160bhp.

Or a really steep hill! :lol:

I got my old 1.0 Yaris to 120mph, but it took ages and it was slightly downhill! :D

the 1.4 has no hope of hitting a genuine 130mph. there are so many hot hatches out there with power similar to that of a T sport which only just hit about that mark. a car with 95bhp is really going to be struggling past the 115 mark.

it would be interesting to see an genuine 1.4 owners opinions on this, but as a non sport model i very much doubt many have even given their car a beating of such proportions! lol.

my T Sport is fast, but the first time i took it on track it felt like anything over 120 was going to take a while to achieve and the 140 claimed top speed will never be seen in my ownership. so the 1.4 is going to literally take 5 miles or so to get to 130 (if it was capable).

well my 1.4vvti did get up 2 130, it got past 115 without any effort, its just took time from 120+ to reach 130, i think it must of took about a mile 2 so as i was on a straight track.

all you T-SPORT OWNERS WILL BE SURPRISED AT WHAT YOUR CAR CAN ACHIEVE IF YOU CAN EVER MAX IT!

I got my old 1.0 Yaris to 120mph, but it took ages and it was slightly downhill! :D

hahaha :lol: if a 1.0 can get 120mph! then what can the 1.8vvt-li achieve 180??? lol

hahaha :lol: if a 1.0 can get 120mph! then what can the 1.8vvt-li achieve 180??? lol

i had a t3 once mate, it was a 1.6 that thing did not go past 118....i know it didnt have anything left when it finnaly just managed to get 118

It was struggling and had no life left in it at the end of it and the ride felt like a roller coaster. There is no way you can attain 130 out of a 1.4 corolla yes you could get the book speed of 115 and that will take forever.

only way to settle is to let rez89 do it and record it for us maybe???

Maybe he should book some "TRACK TIME" :rolleyes:

Maybe he should book some "TRACK TIME" :rolleyes:

Track time sounds like a good idea :D

I used to have a 1.4 rolla and the most I got out of it was 116mph recorded on my GPS at Cadwell park :P

I cant see any way you can get anymore speed out of one of them without mods

If its NOT on GPS its all tosh!

I have just replaced the dials in my CTS with some from a space shuttle, suprisingly to me i hit 20,000 MPH on the motorway near Meadowhall today, more suprisingly however was the other traffic doing the same and some even passing me..... :lol: :P

If its NOT on GPS its all tosh!

I have just replaced the dials in my CTS with some from a space shuttle, suprisingly to me i hit 20,000 MPH on the motorway near Meadowhall today, more suprisingly however was the other traffic doing the same and some even passing me..... :lol: :P

It's just more efficient engines I think!

I once reached 700mph sitting on a remote control car with a chainsaw engine..... :lol:

:lol2: :lol2:

yeh al have a another go at it after when i have serviced my car! but i dnt no if i will live to post the video up! :lol:

and here start thye excuses ;) lol

well to get the same results i did as the first time i have to do it when i have serviced my car, thats when i done it last time when the car was serviced and with top of the range Castrol oil! lol

ah my bad. i forgot used oil can knock off 15mph from your top end ;) lol.

now that u mention that, i wonder if anyone is about to service their car nw? because if they are they should try Castrol gtx 10w40 fully synthetic thats the oil i used to reach the 130mph mark! i have driven my car for 3k miles and the oil is still looking like new the goldish colour! lol

i am goin to service it again in january and this time buy a k&n air filter for the car, trd spark plugs, trd oil filter and a new fuel filter.

to be 100% accurate it was 128mph! and anything is possible if you have the will power!

also it depends on who the driver is behind the wheel, you could have an exremely fast car but the driver may not be capable of ahcieving the top speed!

i will tell you one thing although its a 1.4 it pulls quite good and at top end speed it takes a while to get there but i was just pumpin the accelarator in an out and it went up slowly!

if i was behind the wheel of a T-sport i'd get the most out of that car no matter what! lol

or ANOTHER SOLUTION IS THAT MY CAR MAY HAVE MORE POWER THAN OTHER 1.4s ,it may have had a remap that i dont no about but all i know is that it can go more faster than what it actualy says in the book!!!

i drove a 1.1 Fiesta hire car in the 1990's, but they gave me the 1.25 16v by accident - that is supposed to have 73bhp, but i had it showing 120 on the clock - fiesta's were meant to have some of the worst error factors - a mate told me as much as 13% in some cases!

my corolla speedo is about 6% out, so if yours is similar then that means you hit just over 120 when it was reading 128. so with a slight tailwind i don't doubt you.

but i am not sure about pumping the accelerator - is that technique not only for carburattor cars, or does it fool the ECU to over-rich the mix?

to be 100% accurate it was 128mph! and anything is possible if you have the will power!

also it depends on who the driver is behind the wheel, you could have an exremely fast car but the driver may not be capable of ahcieving the top speed!

i will tell you one thing although its a 1.4 it pulls quite good and at top end speed it takes a while to get there but i was just pumpin the accelarator in an out and it went up slowly!

if i was behind the wheel of a T-sport i'd get the most out of that car no matter what! lol

or ANOTHER SOLUTION IS THAT MY CAR MAY HAVE MORE POWER THAN OTHER 1.4s ,it may have had a remap that i dont no about but all i know is that it can go more faster than what it actualy says in the book!!!

i drove a 1.1 Fiesta hire car in the 1990's, but they gave me the 1.25 16v by accident - that is supposed to have 73bhp, but i had it showing 120 on the clock - fiesta's were meant to have some of the worst error factors - a mate told me as much as 13% in some cases!

my corolla speedo is about 6% out, so if yours is similar then that means you hit just over 120 when it was reading 128. so with a slight tailwind i don't doubt you.

but i am not sure about pumping the accelerator - is that technique not only for carburattor cars, or does it fool the ECU to over-rich the mix?

what your saying does make sense compared to what ohters have said! after 60+ replies SOMEONE HAS ENLIGHTNED ME lol

an for the pumping accelrator an i only done that for like a minute after i hit 120mph then it slowly got near to 130 so i dont no if it fooled the ECU lol

i just worked out that for that extra 5mph it is equivalent to having an extra 9bhp - if your K&N gives you 10% more power than before (which was 94 or 95 bhp right?), then you can expect top end to go up by 5mph

So how exactly did this go from the top speed of a 1.6 to a massive, raging debate about a 1.4? At the end of the day, if Rez89 did it then good on him, if not then he's obviously only fooling himself as no-one else seems to believe him.

I was only curious as I hit 130mph (on the speedo) on the track, had a few rpm left in it and wanted to know if anyone had got to it's limit. Admittedly, if anyone has, I'd love to know what their car smelt like afterwards, mine wreaked!

So how exactly did this go from the top speed of a 1.6 to a massive, raging debate about a 1.4? At the end of the day, if Rez89 did it then good on him, if not then he's obviously only fooling himself as no-one else seems to believe him.

I was only curious as I hit 130mph (on the speedo) on the track, had a few rpm left in it and wanted to know if anyone had got to it's limit. Admittedly, if anyone has, I'd love to know what their car smelt like afterwards, mine wreaked!

end of the day i was behind the wheel and i know what speed i was doing :yahoo: and i cba arguing anymore as i am going round in circles lol!

also my car had like an egg smell :wacko:

I bet the cats must've had a good cookin' from that sort of punishment!

Didn't your engine get close to overheat?

I bet the cats must've had a good cookin' from that sort of punishment!

Didn't your engine get close to overheat?

it was normal tbh on half way on the temp gauge(90), i was on the track 4 a few hours non stop, cough cough M6! lol

but by giving it that punishement it must of cleaned my injectors as i put redex in the tank b4 i set off lol

parkers is showing the 1.4 as 95-97bhp (depending on year) and the 1.6 as 109-110bhp. remembering that drag increases with a squared relationship to top speed, best case scanario is 7.6% more top speed (assuming the same gearing).

you would therefore be able to see 137mph tops on the dial, on a good day on the same track as rez89.

so, since toyota has the advertised top speeds varying by only 2.6%, they either use different gearboxes, or toyota is massaging the figures for insurance/environmental/image reasons

so, since toyota has the advertised top speeds varying by only 2.6%, they either use different gearboxes, or toyota is massaging the figures for insurance/environmental/image reasons

That is certainly the case with the CTS

0-60 is quicker than stated so i wouldn't be surprised if top speed is higher too.

By "massaging" the figures tho the CTS is cheaper to insure, as it's classed as a "warm hatch", but there's not much between it and the "hot hatch" CTR

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links