Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

M.o.t.

UKDM323

OK i found this sentance on the first post on this link club 323f forum that states 'and here's the best one....apparently its new legislation and is going to catch a LOT of people out i reckon

007 - Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition'

Does anyone know about it? a new rule for exhaust noise levels ? i had the MOT last week, with my HKS exhaust, its quite loud but it was fine & passed the mot.

Donks ago I heard it was to do with the age of the vehicle.

I had a 1980 Mini with a straight scaffold pipe as a zorst and it passed loads.

I currently have a 1991 MR2 with what I can say something louder and it also never fails. I'm guessing its up to the MOT officers descresion and that one sounds like he has issues. The MR2 was rattling the windows in the viewing booth when she got tested a few weeks back.

Kinda linking to this, I was in my old mini goming back from Edinburgh and a local feds pulled me, looked under my car while it was ticking over, noticed that it WASNT blowing, told me it sounded 'throaty' and let me on my way.

I'm guessing the rule is that if its not blowing, its ok!!

It always used to be down to the MOT Man's discression...

Technically I think they'd be hard pushed to fail you on something based on an individuals value system, unless its a simply point to proce. i.e. bulb not working.

They would all have to have calibrated metering equipment, and a database of what cars "should" be...

I am sure this has been discussed on this section before. There is a Db limit and I am sure that someone on here has been tested.

:unsure:

there is no limit, its down to the discretion of the tester

My MR2 passed the MOT with the current exhaust, and people on here that have heard it will agree, its !Removed! loud! too loud and is currently being changed. maybe 110-115db+ ?

007 - Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition'

Based on the above statement, how would the tester be able to make a comparison against say an Import MR2 Turbo? Where would they go to get this similiar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition to have something to use as reference?

Safe and noisy is better than quiet and dangerous :yes:

Yup.... I am suprised there have not been more pedestrinl accidents with the growing number of hybrid cars in built up areas.

Just use a fair minded mechanic, the place is use is top notch, they dont care about the noise as they like the car and the bloke who owns the place has got an RS500... nuff said :lol:

now being the proud owner of RAV4 4.1 twins....... both passed the MOT in the past month.....

the first is running a 3sgte with straight thru exhaust, GT4 intercooler, and max boost. So noisy I'm thinking of installing an intercom between the driver and passenger. It passed a roadside emissions test by the local pollution cooncil people who managed to find time to get away from Europes most polluted ground at ravenscraig....!

Then I got my 2nd RAV from the Garage in Motherwell after a 3sgte engine conversion was done, picked up yesterday. Loads quieter as it has the RAV exhaust system....but the MR2 exhaust manifold - and the catalytic convertor has been removed. So, quieter but still passed the emissions test.

Like so much else, regulations are there to be interpreted by people locally. What we should do is post up places that give us a hard time with MOTs and exhaust systems - ye?

if that rule was applied to the letter then anything with an exhaust louder than standard would fail, maybe it will finally be an end to the 1 litre corsa with a dustbin sized exhaust that is all noise and no grunt

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links