Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gen 7 Stereo + Ipod Related Questions.

sjrainsford

Hi all!

I've tried searching the forum, but seem to be going round in circles a little. Have also posted this in the Audio section but haven't had a respose, so thought I'd try my luck in the actual Celica section.

I'm yet to collect my 2003 Gen 7 Celica with the Toyota stereo, but i'm already looking at my options.

Firstly, if I change the stereo what facia adapter do I need? I can only find a part number for the one that replaces the sony stereo.

Secondly, if I stick with the standard stereo (whatever it actually is), is there an iPod adapter that will fit it - such as a connects2 or Dension? Searching on the Dension site it doesn't mention a Celica stereo.

This is the stereo I will have

Calica3.jpg

Thanks all for any help or ideas in advance! :thumbsup:

If you look onthe RAV4 section, I know there are lots of dicsussion about stero replacements and the RAV4s have the exact same unit as you have.

What is the Model number written between display and CD-Slot?

Thanks for the reply!

Will have a look on the Rav 4 section. Haven't got the car till tomorrow, so not sure what the model number is as yet.

Assuming the OE H/U is still fitted, the Model No. is 58806.

Most owners in your position would fit an after market H/U, either single or double DIN. Single DIN adaptors are available for the face lift Gen 7 with the darker fascia, mine has a storage recess for things like Sunglasses etc.

Assuming the OE H/U is still fitted, the Model No. is 58806.

Most owners in your position would fit an after market H/U, either single or double DIN. Single DIN adaptors are available for the face lift Gen 7 with the darker fascia, mine has a storage recess for things like Sunglasses etc.

Oh yeah brilliant, if I go down the single DIN adapter route then that sounds like a decent adapter with a slot for storage too. I've seen some where it's just a single din stereo inside the double din hole and it looks a bit plain. Any ideas on part numbers and lead adapters etc?

Thanks again!

The ISO connector is a PC2-17-4. My double to single DIN adapter came from the USA but if you ask on celica club someone will point you in the right direction :)

Hi, I have a similar problem. I really want to keep the original stereo unit which looks like yours (mine is a 2003 Celica) but I dont think its possible to connect an ipod. This is probably possible with the pre face-lift sony version.

I'm also trying to connect a sub to the original headunit. Someone said I need a low pass filter but I'm yet to find one.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Hi, I have a similar problem. I really want to keep the original stereo unit which looks like yours (mine is a 2003 Celica) but I dont think its possible to connect an ipod. This is probably possible with the pre face-lift sony version.

I'm also trying to connect a sub to the original headunit. Someone said I need a low pass filter but I'm yet to find one.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Hiya! Depending on what route you take, some amps have a high level input built in so you only need take a positive source from both speaker channels. A lot of one box subwoofers such as the under seat type have this function already built it, so they're a doddle to fit.

And thanks for the Scarlet Arrow, will keep my eye out if I change my stereo over. I love my Alpine stereo, but i'm not sure about going down the single din route as double suits the dash much better.

Hi, my sub has a built in amp. Its a Halfords job from a few years ago which I just ripped out my old Celica. It has a line in and line out both left and right. The old setup just used line in left and right to the Halfords stereo rear outputs. I have no idea what needs plugging where as I've not taken my current factory stereo out. Does anyone know how to take the stereo unit out? I can see a few screws by the air-con panel but no screws to disassemble the actual stereo. I don't want to break any parts on my nice new car :)

Also does anyone know if you can set up a Celica Club account and use it within the space of a few hours because it looks to me like you have to send off your details with £10 (though you can pay on by CC).

cheers

An ordinary Member on Celica Club can post in Newbies and the F/S sections of the Forum. If you upgrade to Full Membership to be able to post in all sections, it can take up to a month to activate, but it will be the best £10 you've ever spent. Renewal in 12 months time is just £5 by the way :)

An ordinary Member on Celica Club can post in Newbies and the F/S sections of the Forum. If you upgrade to Full Membership to be able to post in all sections, it can take up to a month to activate, but it will be the best £10 you've ever spent. Renewal in 12 months time is just £5 by the way :)

Cheers for the info, I might just have to do that!

Thanks for all the help folks!

My facia adapter came this morning so I've fitted my Alpine stereo with iPod controller etc and it doesn't look too bad at all! Shame the illumination doesn't match the odd toyota amber colour, but never mind.

In case anyone is interested, to get the stereo out of the Celica you simply have to pull up the panel that surrounds the gear stick area. It should pop up quite easily. Below there you'll find two screws underneath the climate control panel, remove these and the whole facia will then pull away from the bottom first right up to the top where the clock is mounted. You'll then need to disconnect the clock wires so you can swing the whole thing out of your way. Below this will be the four 10mm head bolts that secure the stereo in place.

Whilst looking around I found that there is the possibility to connect an iPod to the standard stereo for those that are interested, it is the Dension Gateway 100 - although I think it may have been mentioned before.

And for those that want to connect a subwoofer/ amplifier to their standard stereo and need to create line level outputs first, then this should do the job: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/audio-line...vp8sjeuo0rsrod0

i used to have an alpine stereo were in the settings you could change the colour of the illumination might be worth reading the manual you may be pleasantly surprised

that dension gateway is what Halfords and carphone warehouse both suggest can be fitted into a gen 7 with standard toyota stereo. the only thing that puts me off is fitting a cradle to put the ipod head unit into and whether or not it will bring unwatnted attention from the local tea leaves

fitting an aftermarkey alpine headunit is an excellent choice though as long as the front is detachable

Hiya

It is a colour change Alpine stereo, but none of the combinations really come close to the Toyota amber. It doesn't bother me that much though, I like the stereo and have had it for years now.

The dension kit doesn't have to have a cradle if you don't want, it can have just a fly lead enabling you to do what i've done with mine and have the ipod in that cubby hole just above the stereo. B)

thats not a bad idea come to think of it. once your connected up can you use radio headunit to flick between playlists. or do you have to use the ipod

thats not a bad idea come to think of it. once your connected up can you use radio headunit to flick between playlists. or do you have to use the ipod

You can use the radio controls with the Dension unit as it treats the iPod like a disk changer - so the first 5 playlists become your disk changer disks. The 6th disk accesses another menu system, but you kinda need to see the iPod for that. When I had a Dension kit in the past, if I didn't want to play a playlist I'd just select the album on the ipod first whilst stationary.

Unless it's changed somewhat since I last had one! :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: