Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Computer Related Question....

Jimlad

I have a pishy little 150gb hd for my PC with a fresh install etc.

I will be getting a larger HD soon and want to transfer everything onto the new one. Inc the windows install etc.

Is there an easy way to do this?

I will be getting a larger HD soon and want to transfer everything onto the new one. Inc the windows install etc.

The last time i did this i had to put my old 40GB HD into a portable unit and if i need it i plug it in via USB. I had to install a fresh Windows XP onto the new build. This was about 2ish yrs ago.

Anything i need i just copy and paste onto one of the new HD's.

I wanted to do the same, but at the time it was the only route. I know this doesnt answer your question! Sorry :unsure:

why not keep the 150gb drive as the windows system drive and then put software, music, films etc on the larger one. i do that that way if you have to do a re-install you dont lose anything :thumbsup:

if you havent got a spare cable you can get a pci card to run the drives. i run 2 cd burners, 2 dvd burners and 3 HDD on my system

If you go to the norton website, you can download trial versions of Ghost and of Partition Magic. Ghost will clone a drive and you can also change the size of the partition.

Partition Magic will allow you to resize the partitions afterwards.

Before you do any of this, it is a good idea to run a defrag on the drive just to make it all a bit better, plus empty the temp internet file folder, etc - An app called CCleaner which is free to use is very good at getting rid of all that cr*p (hence the name ccleaner)

As always, other s/w is available to do the same thing, back up your data and if it goes !Removed! up, don't blame me!

Enjoy!

Norton

****Shudddderrr*****

Do what Dawesy says dude, your board should have provision for more than one HD surely... unless its from 1996

Buy a big drive, say 500GB which you can get for about 50quid or a 1TB (1000GB) for about 85-100quid and a lead of course

Stick it in your machine, boot up and copy all your stuff across to the new big drive, and store stuff there in future (you can also map your 'My Documents' to it)

Thenn blitz the 150GB drive and do a fresh install of Windows and other software and only install stuff on there

As said before if it goes !Removed! up, it wont take your documents (unless that drive blows up to!)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links