Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Price For Fitting New Front Brake Discs And Pads.

rickjhns

Hi,

I have just been told I need new front brake discs and pads for my 2004 1.8vvti petrol Avensis. Nationwide Autocentre in Sheffield has quoted my £270 for parts and labour. This seemed too expensive. A Toyota deler in Sheffield has quoted less, £235. I am very surprised the deler is less than Nationwide Autocentre.

I also now have a quote from Mr Clutch, this started at £195, but was reduced to £155 when I informed them of a lower quote from an independent garage in Sheffield.

Nationwide is refusing to even consider the matching the Mr Clutch quote as they state the parts will not be of the same standard. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Or does anyone have experience of using Mr Clutch.

Nationwide is checking the quote with the main dealer before confirming they will lower their price.

Thanks

Hi,

I have just been told I need new front brake discs and pads for my 2004 1.8vvti petrol Avensis. Nationwide Autocentre in Sheffield has quoted my £270 for parts and labour. This seemed too expensive. A Toyota deler in Sheffield has quoted less, £235. I am very surprised the deler is less than Nationwide Autocentre.

I also now have a quote from Mr Clutch, this started at £195, but was reduced to £155 when I informed them of a lower quote from an independent garage in Sheffield.

Nationwide is refusing to even consider the matching the Mr Clutch quote as they state the parts will not be of the same standard. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Or does anyone have experience of using Mr Clutch.

Nationwide is checking the quote with the main dealer before confirming they will lower their price.

Thanks

When I did ours the parts cost £75 from Andrew Page in Sheffield and took about 1.5 hours so try it youself it's dead easy.

Does anyone have any experience of having work done at Mr Clutch? Does anyone know the make of brake parts they use?

Does anyone have any experience of having work done at Mr Clutch? Does anyone know the make of brake parts they use?

I can only speak in reference to the Mr Clutch that is local to me and the short answer to your question is that their work is of a poor standard, over-priced and I would imagine that they do not use branded parts.

Have the work done at Toyota ....... brakes stop you my friend and, if you can't do the work yourself, then don't compromise and go for the cheap option as it won't pay dividends in the long term.

TeyaDog

Hi,

Thanks

There is a recssion on, suggest £200 to your Toyota dealer, you might get a surprise?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had the work done at Mr Clutch and I was pleased with their service. However, I have gradually become aware of a rumle noise at low speeds over rough ground. The Toyota garage advised this is rattle from the brake pads. I believe this is the case as the noise stops when the brakes are applied.

So, whilse I thought I had got a good deal with Mr Cluthc it now seems I have noisy brakes. The Toyota garage advise that the non standard brake pads are a slightly different size and require shims to stop the rattle noise.

Has anyone had a similar experience with non genuine brake pads?

Hi,

I had the work done at Mr Clutch and I was pleased with their service. However, I have gradually become aware of a rumle noise at low speeds over rough ground. The Toyota garage advised this is rattle from the brake pads. I believe this is the case as the noise stops when the brakes are applied.

So, whilse I thought I had got a good deal with Mr Cluthc it now seems I have noisy brakes. The Toyota garage advise that the non standard brake pads are a slightly different size and require shims to stop the rattle noise.

Yep get this all the time even with genuine pads after about 1500 miles or so sounds like something is loose when driving but its passed its MOT on several occasions so who cares

Hi,

Yep get this all the time even with genuine pads after about 1500 miles or so sounds like something is loose when driving but its passed its MOT on several occasions so who cares

I think the key part (if you'll pardon the pun) in all this is that you can get branded parts, especially pads and discs, from almost anywhere cheaper that Mr T. The extra cost from Mr T will almost always be the labour. Say it takes two hours to do the job that will be £115 including VAT to start with. Suggest you get the parts from MrT or somewhere else (lots of good parts suppliers) and then get your local garage to fit them. Maybe worth getting the to replace the brake fluid as well as that's worth doing as well.

• 1 year later...

Nationwide Autocentre has the special offer for full service and MOT for £220. So i went there - boy was this false economy. As the MOT had to pass, and i was in a rush, i had no choice but to go ahead and change the front discs/pads. £330!! I did ask if it was labour cost that boosted up the price, they just said that was what came up on the computer with AA discount!

Never going there again!

Try sheffield imported motor spares at upperthorpe they are very knowledeable and supply excellent quality spares iuse mintex brake parts supllied by them on my 2008 tourer and dont get the irritating brake squeal associated with toyota brake parts. Very easy job to do yourself with not so sofisticated tools i am sure there is a how to on this forum, good luck and it is worth the effort.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just got charged £154 for discs and pads front and back and £170 labour - all plus VAT. At an independent garage.

SO about £390 all in. I don't know if they were Toyota parts but somehow I doubt it.

I'm so sick of being ripped off by garages.

at those prices for front & rear you can pretty much bet that the parts aren't Toyota oem.

labour sounds a bit high for an independent - mine charged me £25 a wheel incl. VAT.

This job is dead easy to do even for a novice. Can someone not do a step by step giude next time they do this job and save some of our members from being ripped off.

iirc there already is 1 (check the Auris/RA4/Workshop forums for it).

• 2 months later...

I did mine at the weekend front and back discs and pads £125 from eurocarparts for fronts and GSF for back

• 1 month later...

I took my 2.0 d4d avensis to the Toyota dealer for service. They phoned me to inform me that i require front discs and pads and they could do them for £240.00, I declined. The service manager asked what price region I would be prepared to pay. I said around £160.00 ish. He came back and said cos I was a valued customer blah blah blah they could do them for £175.00 so I said yes. The dealers aren't doing much because of their ludicrous prices. Haggle and the'll come down

Slightly off topic here but unless you do the work yourself you can/may get ripped off by ..... plumbers, electricians, roofers, builders, computer shops,etc etc etc. Once they know you can't or won't do it yourself then expect an inflated bill so don't just blame the motor trade, they are all at it.

I never get ripped off by anyone (OK! OK! maybe David Cameron and friends) so diy or haggle that's my motto. ;)

Pete.

Recently changed the rear brake shoes on my daughters Nissan Micro.On eBay the were going for anything from 28 quid to 35 quid for them. i got them from a local motor factors.i had a choice of three different makes.

I chose the Mintex. they costed me the same as the cheapest on eBay, 28 quid.

Harder to fit than pads as the hub had to come off as it was complete with the drums and fiddly springs and auto adusters to play with.

Incidently the rear brake set up on the Micra is a Renault design.

Nothing wrong with pattern parts as long as they are of equel quality which Mintex are.

Someone posted that Mintex are made abroad somewhere, but my dealer says no, they are made in the UK still.

As we all now you get what you pay for. I was ex main dealer tech many moons ago and we use to get cars in with non OE brakes. By the time they had worn out quicker than the OE and ruined a set of discs and drums it would have been cheaper to pay the OE price in the first place.

Stay with either OE or the likes of Mintex, Ferodo, Lockheed and you can't go far wrong

Yours brakes, your choice , your welfare !!!